Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top of the town, Waterford

Options
  • 19-05-2022 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey lovely people,

I've just moved to Waterford from Co Dublin, and we like it here (I don't know if things have changed, but for me, the whole county is a bit underrated).

Mortgage has been approved and I'm looking at properties. Everybody talks about the "Top of the town". I am not sure where it is exactly (street names, please). I am now living in Ferrybank it's quiet and there are lovely houses but I prefer to be on the other side of the bridge. I have a daughter who will start school next year and we can't cross that bridge every day (traffic!!!).

Thanks so much for your help :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Top of the town refers to ballybricken area. Some people will also call yellow road, congress place, Marian park area, Griffiths place the top of the town also.

Basically that's as far as Waterford stretched back in the day and it was all uphill so it became "the top of the town"

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Top of the town is Griffiths place, Tycor avenue, Ard na greine, Congress place around that area not Ballybricken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

Have always felt this is the area but am of course open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 14 idamac

Super, thank you so much, people. That's really helpful. Thanks, thanks, thanks 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

have a good look around the town though, theres many nice areas to live in, many outside the city center, and welcome to waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Some people even think Arbor Road and Hillview qualifies as top of the town..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Top of the town is Congress place Dominick Place.

Thank you so much!

I read that "Ballybeg, Templars Hall, Larchville and Lisduggan" were part of he areas to avoid. Johns park and Farran Park, too apparently. Any areas you would recommend, outside of the city center, please? Just 2 or 3. I only know the city center, the peple's park area and Ferrybank for now. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Ah now nothing wrong with a lot of those areas in fairness. Just a few bad eggs and some exaggerated stories causing a negative reputation which you get anywhere. Ballybeg/Templars Hall is the only one of those areas I'd really avoid because of students.

all those areas certainly have a bad name, im actually from one of them, and to be honest, i generally advise people to avoid, even though im very proud of where im from, there certainly is bad eggs in all of these areas, and the last thing you want is to be setting up shop next or near them, lifes too short!

im not sure where to recommend to be honest, but south east of the city probably is perceived to be better places to live, that would be areas such as grange, viewmount, grantstown, earlscourt, collins avenue, farmleigh, williamstown, ballygunner, etc etc etc

but im sure it ll also come down to your budget, obviously 'better areas'(whatever the hell that is!), will cost you more. a neighbors house is on the market, but theres a hell of a lot of work to be done to the house, theres been a couple of repeat viewers, was talking to one, said the market is truly a jungle at the moment, tis awful

students are a pain in the arse, its just impossible to live in templars with them!

• Advertisement

Ahthank you

Thanks so much! I will do my "due diligence". Budget wise, prices are less shocking than in Dublin lol. Let's see.

Thanks again :)

ah dublins a disaster zone, tis only for the millionaires now...

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ballybeg and Larchville yeah some absolutely lovely people there but enough scumbags to justify a bad name which is a shame. Is Lisduggan that bad though? Ive never heard too much about the place..

tis more or less the same as ballybeg unfortunately, you can get lucky, but then again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Advertisement