Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there an EV Toll tag that gets 50% reduction on the M4 motorway

• 17-05-2022 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Does anyone have an EV Toll tag that gets 50% reduction on the M4 motorway

I currently have a Eurolink toll tag from M4 motorway but they do not participate in the EV toll scheme.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I am with Eflow and I get it for the M4/M6 as I regularly drive that stretch. I am sure there will be others along soon to tell you about the other Toll providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yep - Tolltag.ie here. They get the discount for that stretch of motorway also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭innrain

easytrip as well.

All those minuses are EV discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭daarmcd

thanks, I asked eflow and they sent me a pdf that had no information on it.

If you go to their FAQ page and search for Electric Vehicles, there is a section there. It has this link to the details of the scheme: https://www.etoll.ie/low-emissions-vehicle-toll-incentive/

• Advertisement

yes that is what I was sent

It does not mention the M4 toll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

The above image table on their site states "All Other Toll Roads", which can be taken to mean the M4 as their tag works on it. They don't, after all, explicitly mention any tolls outside of the Port Tunnel and the M50, but their discount is not limited to them.

What?! Surely it doesn't have to be explicitly listed for you..... Would you not think that the section in the table with the title of "All Other Toll Roads" would imply something other than the M50 or Port Tunnel tolls that are explicitly mentioned????? This includes M4, M6, M1, M3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭rx8

I got this some time ago, it lists the discounts although some of the tolls have increased lately. The N4 definitely had gone up to 1.50 for EV'S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I am with eflow and have been getting charged full toll rates for a pure bev (bmw i3). Seems like you must have a tag account and not just a video account? Seems pretty outrageous?

• Advertisement

The M4 Eurolink motorway is not a participating toll motorway in the scheme

That certainly is news to me.

I rarely use the M50 (would go 6 months without a trip on it) so I have had plenty of trips through the M4/M6 toll, to and from Galway and get a refund every time. You need to have a toll tag on your window to avail of the discount, otherwise nothing will be applied. You can't rock up to the toll gate and expect the system to charge you for an EV/PHEV there and then.

Where did you get the info that the M4 does not "participate"?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

75% discount on the M50 off peak which is 138 out of 168 hours of the week. And 50% off all other tolls I think. I've saved over a grand in toll discounts since I got an EV and I don't commute through any toll and rarely go through one for work

Most of us recommend tolltag.ie / parkmagic and NOT eflow for tolls

I have had an M4 toll tag since Dec 2005, when the M4 motorway opened.

That line is from the email I received from Eurolink Motorway Operations Ltd.

Good afternoon ******,

Please find attached leaflet on the Electric vehicles tolling incentive, you must be registered with a participating EVTI tag provider, you will also find details on etoll.ie.

The leaflet I have attached gives you all the details, you would have to sign up for a new tag with one of the EVTI participants, and they discount the charges I believe on your monthly statements, The M4 Eurolink motorway is not a participating toll motorway in the scheme, The M50 and port tunnel are the main participants.

Kind Regards,

Customer Service Team"

Interesting from the M4 people. Eflow must be giving the discount in error then for that motorway..... I shall say nothing. :)

My read of this is that @daarmcd has a tag since 2005 for M4 only, probably from eurolink and they don't participate in the EV scheme. They discontinued getting new customers anyway and just keep the old ones until they move to a new tag provider. Most of the regular tag providers participate in the scheme, and they are reimbursed for any discount they provide.

Well, that would make more sense that it is more tied to the tag provider then. I never knew that Eurolink even had their own tag TBH as I think I already had my Eflow tag when the M4 motorway opened.

So, a change of tag provider may be in order for @daarmcd by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If you have a BEV but do not use motorways regularly, should you still get a tag?

• Advertisement

The EV discount is applied only to tag holders. If you want the discount you need to get a tag. Having said that the discount is to end this year. It may be be pushed further, who knows.

Some tag providers charge a monthly fee so if you are not using the motorways on a monthly basis, you will be charged anyway. Just something to keep in mind.

I think I pay €1.23 per month for the tag, so that is €14.76 per year. I save €3.16 per return trip through the M50 toll off peak. So if you make 5 trips per year or more through this toll, it is cheaper with a toll tag

There's normally a €1 plus vat monthly admin fee with Easytrip, but even that is discounted to 50c plus vat (62c) for EV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭loopymum

I rarely use motorways especially since the pandemic but had ordering a the pay as you go + from tolltag. so handy

No fees and it was free, you pay 10% of the tolls in fees to them.

Last time we went to Dublin, went through tolls at least 7 times, I didn't even fix the toll tag to the windscreen, just popped it on to the dash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

Sorry if this is the wrong place but a quick Google brought this thread up.

Is there a card or service(maybe this is tolltag but I can't see it explicitly on their site) that offers some sort of discount on the M4 tolls? 120 euro a month is a bit of a heavy hit currently.

My tag is from Easytrip and I definitely get 50% discount on all toll roads. I've used the M4 a few times. Gets 75% discount on off-peak M50 use too. (62c a pop 😁)

You need to phone them to get your EV set up on the account. Well worth the 15 or 20 minutes it takes.

Yep save up to €500 per year tax free if you have an EV and get a toll tag. I would recommend tolltag.ie / parkmagic. Your discount is applied immediately when you go through the toll. You don't have to wait until you get a messy monthly credit like with some of the crowds. €0.58 off peak through the M50 toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ignore eflow, they have wizards that apply random discounts in 2 months time.

I moved to Tolltag.ie and they give the discount at the time you go through the toll

• Advertisement

I think another important question to ask here is: Do you currently drive an EV or PHEV @bradlente? The discounts being referenced here can only be applied for if you are the registered owner of an EV or PHEV and the percentage discount depends on which of the two you have. A PHEV gets a reduced discount compared to a full EV which gets the max discount under the LEVTI scheme (Low Emissions Vehicle Toll Incentive).

If you are driving a mild hybrid or ICE only (mild hybrids would be like a Toyota Corolla or Honda Insight) vehicle, there are no discounts on tolls, and you pay the full whack on the M4.... tag or no tag.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement