Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

occupied ( sky arts )

Options
  • 13-02-2016 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Any watching this one ,

Its a norwegian drama which depicts a fictional near future in which Russia, with support from the EU, occupies Norway to restore its oil production. This is prompted by a Europe-wide energy crisis caused by Norway's Green Party coming to power and stopping the country's oil production

On episode 5 now , Enjoying it so far

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

redrums wrote: »
    Any watching this one ,

Its a norwegian drama which depicts a fictional near future in which Russia, with support from the EU, occupies Norway to restore its oil production. This is prompted by a Europe-wide energy crisis caused by Norway's Green Party coming to power and stopping the country's oil production

On episode 5 now , Enjoying it so far
    Yeah watched a couple of them, didn't grab me, preferred Spin. You think it's worth sticking with?

There's a thread on it here, it fits in both forums really

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057554147

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm quite enjoying this, since it's wide open plot-wise, and I get the sense that anything could happen. Things are happening on multiple levels - the personal, corporate, Norwegian state politics and international relations - and any of those could drive the plot on a particular day. For example, one minor character in a position of power is hiding a terminal illness and has nothing left to lose. A little girl's memory might be just as pivotal as a bomb plot or a Cabinet decision. I don't understand every part of the puzzle, so I expect a few more "a-ha" moments.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would fans of Borgen and the heavy water war like this?

A-ha moments :D

Would fans of Borgen and the heavy water war like this?

A-ha moments :D
    I know Borgen, never heard of the other one. It has something of the same flavour to it, such as the complete absence of a sense of humour. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Finished watching this on Netflix over the weekend. Must say I really enjoyed it. Hope they make a second season. Heavy Water war queued up to watch next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

I think Heavy Water is the same series called The Saboteurs that was on More4 last Summer.
    It was excellent....really interesting.

Ludo wrote: »
    Finished watching this on Netflix over the weekend. Must say I really enjoyed it. Hope they make a second season. Heavy Water war queued up to watch next.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im watching this at Sky Arts pace. After watching Real Humans and now this I must say the Scandinavians can churn out some good TV.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm watching the latest broadcast episode at the moment. It's interesting, all right, but there's something missing. If I look at a map, I soon notice that Sweden and Finland are between Norway and Russia: where do they fit in to this story?

edit: the latest episode, December Part 2, is actually the end of the series, and just as things were getting serious ...
    Will there be a second season? In this interview with one of the writer/directors, that question is answered with a simple "yes".

bnt wrote: »
    I'm watching the latest broadcast episode at the moment. It's interesting, all right, but there's something missing. If I look at a map, I soon notice that Sweden and Finland are between Norway and Russia: where do they fit in to this story?

edit: the latest episode, December Part 2, is actually the end of the series, and just as things were getting serious ...
    Will there be a second season? In this interview with one of the writer/directors, that question is answered with a simple "yes".

Norway and Russia share a border in the north,which is where part of the story is set.
    There was something about seeing how it went on Netflix whether there would be a second series.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Norway and Russia share a border in the north,which is where part of the story is set.
    Well, yes, I did say I was looking at a map, so I got that far. ;)

I meant in a political sense: wouldn't the neighbours have something to say, even if it's only a heartfelt "WTF?" :eek:

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    Well, yes, I did say I was looking at a map, so I got that far. ;)

I meant in a political sense: wouldn't the neighbours have something to say, even if it's only a heartfelt "WTF?" :eek:

the storyline is that the EU are leaving Norway swinging so I guess that covers them. I'd probably need to watch the first episode again,In reality you would think an energy exporter would like to see one of its competitors go offline

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I didn't realise this was going to end with only half the story told. I enjoyed the show but really didn't understand the central premise. Was Norway going to stop producing oil overnight and switch all their own energy over to Thorium? With no grace period for everyone to adapt to the new energy source? And cut off the country's main source of income? Is Thorium unique to Norway? If they stopped producing oil why would Russia, of all countries, care so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Stewball

After watching the first two seasons of Occupied a while back - I'm waiting patiently for the third to come out.

Can't seem to find any updates of when a third series is expected - anyone know?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Stewball wrote: »
    Can't seem to find any updates of when a third series is expected - anyone know?
    Tonight in Norway. Presume something will crop up for the English language version soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Stewball

ixoy wrote: »
    Tonight in Norway. Presume something will crop up for the English language version soon enough.

Shouldn't be too long before it gets shown on Sky so.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Wow, I cant believe that after being signed up to Netflix for 2 years, I only received this recommendation a week ago. Either they have just taken it on, or else their algorithm is totally useless.

3 seasons have been made (dont know whether it over or still going, dont want to spoil it for myself)

Basically its an excellent political thriller where the Norwegian Government ( Green party elected) decide to suddenly halt oil production due to climate change effects and instead want to switch to Thorium-base nuclear energy.
    Obviously , some other countries are not too happy about their supply being cut off , so Russia starts to move in to ensure the supply keeps going

Oh, and the USA have left NATO , so that's that option out the window

Just starting season 3 , interesting in light of events

Advertisement