Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restrictions on dogs/horses on Kerry blue flag beaches..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No need for any animals to be allowed on beaches ,and It's not just a few bad owners it's thousands if not tens of thousands who can't control or look after their dogs in public places

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dogs off leashes are the reason Bull Island doesn't have hares any more, there were loads of them there when I was a kid. They can also mess with birds nests too. Need to be kept somewhat in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

They are blue flag beaches for a reason.

If there is dog **** on them etc etc then they will not be blue flag beaches.

And if you don't care about the health aspects then it hurts revenue from tourism etc.

I notice people who don't understand the environment/health cost of something DO understand the money aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If they are banning dogs surely they'll be banning this carry on? This is Inch beach 🤮

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Similar by-laws have been in place on Clare’s main beaches since 2006.

People don't understand this.

Or don't care.

It's willful ignorance.

I'd be pretty surprised if now and then dogs off leads with no training managed to wipe out mammals on Bull Island, sounds like unless their numbers were incredibly low (which they may well have been because it was a brand new island) and they had the incredible bad luck to always get found by people scrambling over sand dunes I'm going to guess hunting/coursing was more to blame.

• Advertisement

Well it doesn't really, they were wiped out by coursing. Re-introduction efforts may have been affected by dogs but it's really not something easily proven. I mean there's a 5 acre park near me and there's a group of about 15 stray dogs plus hundreds of people coming in with dogs off leads daily yet the number of birds and squirrels has noticeably gone up in the last few years and I spotted a couple of rabbits for the first time in nearly a quarter of a century. I've seen hares for the first time in a few places (absolutely massive bastards altogether!) recently all while out with the dog in places mostly frequented by people with dogs.

How about a compromise, no wandering "randomly" across the dunes with a dog "innocently" off-lead but they can have a little bit of fun down on the sand?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agree with this ruling:

Dog Shite

Dogs off leashes

Dogs on a leash but it’s about 5 metres in length

Barking

Dogs Pissing

Dog running over and taking a child’s tennis ball etc.

All things that drive me nuts on a beach

Interesting to see how this will be stuck to

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ok I'll make this short , dogs were responsible for wiping out the hare population on Bull Island.

The NPWS, the council and various wildlife groups all agree on that, your hunch is misplaced.

Whatever about your park it's fair to point out that squirrels, rabbits and birds are different species and respond differently to disturbance.

INMHO the hare is one of our most interesting and wonderful mammals and we have treated them appallingly over the years.

As for the compromise there may be room to allow an "off lead zone" but I'm not involved with the management of Bull Island so I'm not sure. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I would have no problem with dogs and horses being banned from beaches during the summer months. Peak time you could call it. Mind you, I would like to see an end to those horse fairs in Listowel once a month too, they really mess the place up big time.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If dog owners trained their dogs properly and picked up their dogshıt after them we needn't have these rules.

Yet here we are.

It's funny how people pay several €k for their designer dog and then they're too tight to pay for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

your not comparing like with like.. Bull Island is a nature reserve.. with specific reasons for the need to ban dogs.,

its not the same with beaches.. seems the only concern with dogs on beaches is their excrement (which of course I think dog owners should pick up and dispose of appropriate..

@[Deleted User] you have hit the nail on the head! I was on that same beach one summer's day in 2018 and the place was like a landfill site!

I don't have a dog myself but love seeing them on the beach..

Maybe they could provide more bins for dog poop and signs regarding same.

Post edited by sporina on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

Dog and horse owner here and have young children. Happy enough to see dogs banned from beaches while people refuse to pick up after them. Horse poo isn’t nearly as toxic and would be nice for horses to have access during off peak times eg early morning. There’s very few safe places to go off road with horses

I walk a beach everyday which is provided with bins AND bags AND big fcuk-off signs and still owners think it's beneath them to pick their dogsh1t up.

I have seen bags of sh1t left under seats in an effort to hide them and bags being washed out and washed up again with the tide.

There's nature on most regular Irish beaches as well, they're not just human playgrounds.

I wish there were more controls on dog in Dublin. Dartry Park beside me, is full of dog sh*te. I train a football team there, and we have to go around the pitch with a shovel, and take up the sh*te and fill in holes made by the dogs, before we can start training.

the owners don't give a F**k, use it a giant pet's toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

It'll be ignored like it is in Kilkee Co Clare, you can't police it all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

@whisky_galore thats unfortunate - I guess like a lot of things in life - you will have those who will be responsible and those who won't - and the latter ruin it for everyone

Same people who's dogs are destroying the native wildlife probably boast about their Disney+ subscriptions where there kids can learn about nature on National Geographic. 😞

(Edit)

After getting down off my high horse ...

I think there is just not enough awareness of this. You see public information about dogs worrying/killing sheep, but still it happens.

There has to be a better way to inform people as to why these restrictions are in place, i.e. the spirit of the restrictions ...

Otherwise people just think it's another stupid law to wrangle around.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

And it's on a 'Blue Flag beach' as well.

These people just live in their own little Me Feiner bubble, not giving a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Can't say I've a problem with it but the biggest problem are people. As a dog owner you've two jobs when walking it in public, keep it under control and clean up after it. I've two dogs myself, the two of them have never been off a lead in public trails,beaches,parks etc. A roll of bags can be less then a euro and some places even provide bags, dog owners have no excuse not to clean up after them. My dogs love the beach but I'll never bring them there firing the summer. Animals aside just look at the state people leave beaches and parks in during the summer, it's a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I live on the east coast and take my dog on the beach every day of the week - twice sometimes. I don't use a leash .. however my dog is always under my control will follow my directions - either hand signals or whistles (as in 'stop' 'go left' 'go right' 'come back'). He has very little interest in other dogs or people which makes it easy ... he has his own ball and will chase it for hours.

However, I also had a Labrador (only passed away two weeks ago) who would be the opposite. Friendly, but always too interested in other dogs and other people .. would wander over to anyone - so he was alway on a leash unless the beach was empty.

I tend to go to beach when it is quite - early morning and at sunset - the reason is that it takes the whole other dogs and other people out of the equation. If there are kids on the beach I can't send my fella running after a ball just incase. I can't trust that a child will try and grab the dog or do something to make the dog react.

The lockdowns were poxy for the regular beach users as suddenly everyone within 10 minute drive discovered the beach and it was rammed all day long with all the rubbish that comes with people who don't respect the beach. My dog found a roast chicken carcass one evening that was left beside some empty beer cans and other packaging waste.

Personally I'd have no issue with the 11am-7am restriction as I don't want to be on the beach when there are large numbers on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm lucky to live near an awful lot of beaches. Some are quieter, less known ones. Some are very popular touristy ones. Some are blue flag, some are not. On every single one, human rubbish is an issue. Whether the rubbish got left on the beach itself, or washed up from the shore, or washed downstream from a river...

I get that dog poop is an issue and people really do need to be more considerate that way. Dog poop is toxic. Horse poop is not and most horse owners won't take the animals onto a crowded beach for their own safety.

I get what they're trying to do but people on beaches are a much, much bigger problem than animals.

I am on the East coast too (Meath). Last year cars were banned and it was brilliant!! The beach is now safer and cleaner. Racehorses are usually off the beach by 11am, they are allowed beforehand and I have no problem with horses or horse manure either! Dog **** is different and you will never be completely free of it on beaches, parks and paths. There will always be ignorant people. To be honest the visitors to the beaches are far more filthy than any dog, leaving behind bottles, clothes, dirty nappies, beer bottles, sweet wrappers, used pizza boxes and anything else they fancy. Its truly appalling.

Regardless of any rules on beaches, they cannot truly be policed, it will always be up to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I haven’t a clue about horses, other than they’re beautiful animals that scare the bejesus out of me, but those horse nappies - what’s the story with them? I mean do they restrict the horses movement or anything?

I’m guessing they’re not ideal when the horse is trying to gallop down the beach? Reading the article the restrictions only appear to apply between 11am and 7pm and there wouldn’t be horses on beaches between those hours anyway would there?

I’d say it’s just that the horse dung is unsightly on the beach, but if there were a way to address that issue 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Most dog owners are responsible but it is those who don't give a **** who give them a bad name.

Some beaches need to have rules that prohibit dogs from either fouling or for interfering with wildlife, most should be fine especially if the dogs are on a lead (and owners clean up after them)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The nappies scare the bajesus out of most horses, don't seem to have been designed with the horse's biomechanics in mind, can't be used in speeds higher than walk, and are completely pointless anyway.

You might get the odd person on the beach in those time, depending on the tide but you rarely get a horse and rider on a busy beach.

Horse dung you can pick up in your hands, pop it into a bag and take it home to your garden instead of paying for bags of horse manure. I know I've said it on this site before but it still makes me laugh that people shake their fists now about horse manure, then go out and pay a small fortune to buy bags (wrapped in plastic) of it for their garden. It used to be a case, not that long ago, that people would peep out the window as you were passing, hoping they could get some free manure. There used to be scuffles over it if the horse pooped somewhere where there was a few houses together.

Advertisement