Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Myenergi Eddi Harvi and Hub

• 17-05-2022 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Three weeks today, the fitters will be here installing 12 panels on my roof.

I have asked for an Eddi to be fitted to heat the immersion. I understand it needs a CT clamp to the Consumer Unit to Eddi so Eddi knows when to provide power to the immersion.

The immersion is in the Hot Press central to the house, which suggests to me I'll need a Harvi as the Consumer Unit is on an outside wall. It seems sensible to order one as I haven't been charged for one by the supplier so it seems sensible to be able to hand one to the electrician as it could be the difference between them finishing the job and having to come back later!

Questions:

1 - I understand one CT clamp is provided with each Eddi, is that true?

2 - Do I need a second CT clamp for any reason?

3 - Is the Hub a good investment? What are the positives to owning a Hub, are there any negatives? Is the app useful (not using a Zappi)

4 - Is a Hub needed if I have other "hubs" (Apple TV4K, iPad etc.)? Or, put another way, is there an alternative to the myenergi Hub?

TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You're correct, the Eddi will need a CT clamp on main incoming supply to detect surplus generation. This can be wired directly into the Eddi, into the Zappi if you had one, or wirelessly using a Harvi. To answer your questions;

1) Yes

2) A second clamp can be added to allow you to see solar generation within the myenergy app/eddi display. It is not essential and the system will work correctly without it.

3) The hub is useful to allow you to monitor the system and remotely control the Eddi/Zappi. I use this to allow me to automatically trigger an early morning boost when the cylinder isn't hot enough etc. It is worth noting that MyEnergi are phasing out the hubs in favour of updated Eddi/Zappi devices with Ethernet/Wifi and hubs built into them. They are only launched a few weeks so you might get one of the old ones.

4) No, but as mentioned above, newer devices will have the hub built into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BoxerX

Thank you so much for the information. Perfect!

The second CT clamp seems like a good idea as it makes the Eddi the main information panel of the entire system, unless I've got the wrong end of the stick. Ideal as it will be mounted in a position I can view, unlike the Inverter which will be loft mounted apparently.

I will wait to see what Eddi I get before ordering a Hub.

Thanks again 👍️

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yes, but bear in mind that if you are getting a hybrid (DC coupled) inverter, the MyEnergi system has no way of knowing anything about the battery i.e the SOC (how full/empty it is), or the charge/discharge power. Any images you see from MyEnergi with a battery on the app are using an AC coupled inverter (Tesla Powerwall, Sofar ME3000S etc) that can be monitored using a CT clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BoxerX

I omitted to mention we're not going for a battery. It turns out that, at our age, we're unlikely to recoup the outlay!

Getting old we are!

Advertisement