Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Self Build Costs

Options
  • 12-05-2022 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi folks,

Just looking for some info with regard to self build costs from people here who have or are currently self building their own home.

The house we are planning on building is in Galway and is a two story 1614 square foot home.

Quotes are coming in between 140 - 170 per square foot for a turn key finish. We would not be going for a high spec finish.

Would this be accurate do ye think?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 FrancoBegbie77

Just bumping this. If anyone with some insight on this could reply that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ec18

if they're quotes from contractor it's accurate, did you have a book of quantities as part of the tender pack? or have you gotten a book of quantities from all the quotes?

unless you're looking for someone to tell you that there's some lad that can do it for 100 per square foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What do you mean by 'self build'?? There are many different ideas about this 'self build' - from people who literally self build - boots on and labour away at it with the sweat of their brow and put their backs into it. To those who do some work and hire in some trades. To others whose idea of self build is paying a builder to build it.

So how can you price!! Labour is a huge component, so if you substitute your own labour in, that will have a dramatic effect.

It's a preliminary quote from an engineer. Waiting on a full detailed quote from him

It's more like I don't want someone telling me it can only be done for 200 per square foot.

It would be a self build in as far as I would be hiring all contractors myself and would do all the electrical work myself as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In the current climate the price sounds very cheap to me.

What part of the country are you in? Location does play a factor as prices vary from county to county.

I'm in Galway.

Advertisement