Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing Property after Sale Agreed

Options
  • 17-05-2022 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Has anyone had issues with Estate Agents trying to get another viewing of a property after going sale agreed? I just want to do measurements etc. but they seem to be extremely reluctant for me to view it again, ignoring my requests (oh we will call you back - no call backs etc). Property is vacant, so I don't see the problem. Is this a common tactic? like they think if I see it again I'll back out or something..seems strange, or is it a normally thing?

Than you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

it's not a tactic.

It is someone's home ... it is purely down to the willingness of the owners if they are comfortable with some stranger poking around taking measurements in their home. When it was up for sale they would have spent a long time tidying up, cleaning, staging furniture and now that that process is over they might not wan't anyone back in the house.

You will have all the time in the world to take measurements when you are in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I'd be a bit wary that they aren't allowing another viewing... Unless you've already viewed it like 5 times or something.

Have you had a survey/engineer in? Was there any push back about that?

If the house is empty then it's probably just laziness on the agents part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

Did you miss the bit about the house being vacant?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's not going to be that person's home for very much longer. If you are selling your home then you're moving on from it being your home and viewing it as a commodity to sell. Selling something requires allowing a prospective buyer to actually look at the item, repeatedly if needed.

Even more so given the house is going to be the buyer's home soon enough and potentially the biggest financial purchase of their lives.

All moot anyway given the OP said the house is vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I did actually miss the bit about it being vacant !! sorry

Anyway - it might just be a pain in the ass for the EA to have to meet you there open up for an hour or two hanging around .. something they won't be paid for. All you can do it keep asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Once contracts are signed, then you would have enough time to do any measurements etc before getting the keys and moving in. That should be no issue

"sale agreed" is not binding. I've seen people put in offers on houses and waste time with estate agents constantly querying silly things like, are all the light bulbs working etc. Maybe they want to avoid such a scenario? Ideally you would do all these checks before going sale agreed, but I can understand in the current market, speed is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Probably just EA not bothered, its extra work for them, that they don't need.

As for once contracts signed being able to view, I wouldn't hold your breathe on that. Once contracts signed EA couldn't care anymore, they've got their fee, they aren't going to put any effort in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had two further viewings after sale agreed - to check that services had remained connected (semi-long term empty property) and check that a specific request to get keys for a door where there were no keys had been done. Both were accommodated by just letting me collect the keys from the EA.

Suppose I am speaking from personal experience as a buyer and seller. Dealt with a lovely genuine estate agent and all parties were agreeable to accommodate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

And I'm sure in many cases they are, I'd the opposite experience.

On the day keys were to be handed over, the EA would not accommodate us going to view the house to confirm house was still in same condition as when initially viewed and was cleared of all possessions.

Luckily there was no issues but the behaviour of the EA was terrible, they had there money they didn't care.

• Advertisement

Probably sensible to shop around for EA. I know a few locally I wouldn't touch with a barge poll. Spoke with a view at the time and went with the one I got a good vibe from. Couldn't speak highly enough of her. She may be the exception.

When you're the buyer you don't get to choose what agent you engage with though.

I'd start making noises that the refusal to allow a viewing is making you nervous that something is being hidden. If they're just workshy the thought of having to start with open viewings again might be enough to motivate them to show it.

Advertisement