Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Staircase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is this the story that was also a documentary maybe a decade back?

Wife falls down stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,032 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was about to say that I didn't think I needed another limited series based on well documented true life events but I decided to look at the trailer out of curiosity.

My interest has now been piqued as it looks like the the story extends to Peterson's involvement in what is a touchstone of the true crime documentary genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,032 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It premieres Thursday, 5th of May 2022 at 8pm on Sky Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Tried to watch the first episode, then recalled what a cretin Peterson is. His mannerism and constant sobbing. I just want to kick him in the balls repeatedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

The whole back and forth is very annoying timeline is very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

atleast its showing the the authorities corrupting the case already.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yes confusing with Netflix showing the documentary and with same name and I think was covered in other TV series years back. So new program is on Sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I think the way they're doing the time line is brilliantly done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i've got a low attention span - is this a hard watch do i have to watch intently? 😶

well they took a position

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

No chance of any dramatisation being better than the documentary so why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Loving it so far. Best show on TV at the moment IMO. I shouldn't like it because I'm no fan of Colin Firth and I usually avoid anything with Toni Collette in it, but they are both excellent. Maybe I just enjoy seeing them suffer :) Supporting cast excellent too. I don't know anything about the actual case or documentary so I'm trying to avoid spoilers and keep myself guessing, which helps keep it riveting.

Post edited by artvanderlay on

the tv show goes beyond whats possible to know or to been recorded.

Post edited by pjcb on

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Initially thought this would be boring because the case is well publicised and the ending is known. But the performances are excellent and it's really well done, by the 3rd episode I was hooked. Colin Firth is excellent, down to the clothes he's wearing being the same as the original documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I got as far as episode 2 of the drama series. Colin Firth was just not believable enough as Peterson and not nearly as narcissistic or frustrating a personality. I find that dramatisations of real life events are hard to watch in general, especially when the actors look or act almost nothing like the people they are portraying. And what was with the casting for Ron Guerette's part?

Having been fascinated by the original Netflix documentary - I've watched it several times over - the drama series wandered too often into "did that really happen?" territory for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I thought I might watch this as I like anything with Colin Firth.

3 episodes in I'm finding this dreary as hell (after an engaging opening episode) and thinking of dumping it.

First of all I find the whole did he do it or not thing a bit of a trope and couldn't care less whether he did or didn't. I know it's based on a true story that I have since read up on in full, but still. Some watching it may not have be aware of the true life events.

I always found Toni Collette to be a poor actress and find her hard to look at; she's all eyes and mouth. I find all the family to be unlikable and therefore can't get emotionally invested in them. I don't even like Colin Firth as Peterson. Peterson does come across as a bit of a dick, maybe he was. I find the flashbacks to Peterson's bisexual experiences to be a bit cringe. A bit 80's, outdated, the way he was cursing around in the sex shop.

It's seems E4 is where the courtroom drama starts. Since I like courtroom dramas would those who've watched it recommend continuing with it. I have a feeling I'd enjoy the netfix doc better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Didn't watch it first time around, watched episode 1 last night and not sure what to make of it.

Is it any good?

Advertisement