Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel's Midnight Suns (Firaxis)

Options
  • 29-08-2021 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭

Might as well start the thread for this seeing as boards could be dead at any moment the first gameplay reveal is in a couple of days' time.

Marvel's Midnight Suns is a new tactical RPG set in the darker side of the Marvel Universe, putting you face-to-face against demonic forces of the underworld as you team up with and live among the Midnight Suns, Earth's last line of defense.

So it's not the XCOM Marvel game some of us were hoping for. In fact project lead Jake Solomon (designer of XCOM Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2) says, "There are zero mechanics shared between XCOM and the Midnight Suns." That obviously excludes permadeath too, although that's to be expected. Another potential disappointment for some will be the fact that you don't play as an established Marvel hero, but rather a character created especially for the game. The story itself is somewhat based on a real Marvel arc (Midnight Sons) that first appeared in Ghost Rider, although the presence of Cap, Ironman, and Wolverine seems kinda shoehorned in to appease more mainstream fans.

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement for now. The first gameplay trailer is supposed to be on Wednesday (September 1st). Watch this space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Nothing I've read or seen of the game looks particularly appealing right now, but Firaxis have very strong pedigree so I'll reserve judgement until we see some gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It can't be worse than than the Avengers game right? Riiiiigggghhhhhtttt????

Gameplay on Wednesday anyway, really looking forward to seeing how it plays. One aspect I'm not liking the sound of is spending time with the characters to build a relationship XCom 2 had you develop bonds through the battlefield where as with this, "you can decide to read a book by the fire with Dr. Strange or do some weights with Wolverine to build relationships with characters doing things they like. I hope it's just a case of been giving a certain amount of time to manage your day and clicking what how you want to spend instead of actually doing those activities.

The building a new character sounds great and it will be class to team up with Blade, Wolverine and hopefully Spiderman. They've nailed their look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, I really don't fancy Super Friends simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Shame this is turn based... Looks good otherwise.

• Advertisement

Game starts with attack on the Sanctum

- 3 team mates

- 10-15min average battles

- Multiple card times (basic, attack, support) that are in a deck that gets shuffled at the start of a battle

- Players will be able to play 3 cards each round (some cards will allow you to get more cards out in a round if you kill an enemy with it)

- Every hero has their own set of cards

- Blade is DPS (has bleed, life leech cards), Ghost Rider is a wild card ( his attacks can dmg himself and his teammates), Captain America is dps/tank, Strange is support (power to draw a different cards and boost card effects)

- Mission types: Protection missions, rescue targets, Capture VIP

- Hunter has light and dark powers (light is support/heal)

- You can change up your deck before each fight

- There are overpowered cards called "Heroics cards" that do deal massive dmg and offer bonus effects (iron man has aoe for everyone on screen (small dmg), Strange has massive dmg to one enemy plus applying debuff) these use currency resource called "heroism"

- You can use the environment to deal dmg

- The Abbey is your HQ located inside a pocket dimension. Here you can talk to Tony to make new weapons for you that unlock new cards, Train with Blade to upgrade cards

- if you have duplicate of a card you can mix them to make an upgraded version

- Talking to characters in the hub unlocks passive abilities and combos with that character

- Each hero has a legendary ability called "The Midnight Sun" only once you built that character's midnight suit which require you to max your friendship with a character

Post edited by EoinMcLovin on

Not feeling this just yet.

At least one of my concerns has been proved unfounded though - I was worried we'd only be fighting Lilith's forces and Hydra goons, and not facing off against iconic Marvel villains. But there'll be a gameplay stream next week showing Hunter and Wolverine take on Sabretooth.

Yeah, I'm not all the way there yet. The reasons i loved xcom 2 was that there was perma death for your squad and you were against the odds where as with this, you are made to feel all powerful, as you should be really but don't know how it will feel to play through like this. I definitely want to play it though.

I think it might be the card system that doesn't sit well with me. It essentially makes super powers a random ability which seems at odds with playing as powerful heroes.

The roster of heroes itself is odd* as well. "We have this cool story from our darker, weirder back catalogue... But we're not confident enough in all of its lesser known protagonists so we want you to include Ironman, Captains America and Marvel, and have them fight demons and such". There are still two characters (by my count) to be revealed though. Morbius and Moon Knight would make sense from the viewpoint of the original story, but also with their respective movie and Disney+ show on the way.

*obviously makes sense from a financial standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If this game wasn't made by Firaxis alarm bells would be ringing looking at the gameplay; it looks a bit flat which is why I can see why they have the card mechanics in there. XCOM style games lose something when you remove the need to use cover & do extensive research. I kinda wish they just did X-Men as the Xavier Institute would make much more sense in terms of building bonds with fellow heroes (all of that feels more Persona like than what they usually do) and you can always justify an X-Men team them up with Blade Ironman or Ghost Rider too. But the Avengers are still a bigger priority to Marvel right now.

• Advertisement

Game Informer had a couple of hours play time. Their chat might answer some of your questions about the game, although I wouldn't take their positive views too seriously. The video should play at the relevant time stamp.

Yeah i actually like the sound of building a deck to keep things fresh and interesting, reminds of Gwent a bit. I still need to see a level played start to finish to get a proper feel of it.

Agreed! Hopefully this stream with Wolverine vs Sabretooth on Wednesday will give us a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm all for turn based combat and intricate systems, but when literal cards show up I always find that's just a step too far and breaks immersion for me. Maybe because it makes it feel too much like a free to play or mobile game, I'm not sure.

If it wasn't Firaxis I don't think I'd have any hope for it, but if anyone can pull it off and make it compelling then they can.

The audio was terrible! Could they not have sprung for more than the one lavalier mic between them? 😂

Gameplay-wise, I'm still not sure but I'm willing to keep an open mind based on what we've seen so far.

Spring is packed anyway, no harm if more time needed. Stupid though how they mention what they are going to do with the extra time but loads of comments still saying they hope the card system will be removed.

• Advertisement

Very interesting, i either what the revamp consists of. People saying the card system could be gone but i doubt they would take out something so big in the space of a few months.

Yeah, that was a core mechanic! Can't see them ditching it because of fan backlash either.

If they're saying June for the reveal, then likely during SGF or the XB showcase. I don't think 2K will be having their own event.

So did they talk about the supposed revamp?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Is this still card based? If so, no thanks. Here's hoping some clever sausages mod it into a proper turn based game:D

Watching the Spiderman deep dive, i still have no idea if i will like this or not, i would really need to try it. The card system looks very complex, not just each character uses a card a turn, it's the cards can set off different bonuses and moves. Definitely put xcom out of your head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement