Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood Buy and Sell Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BogBoy84

Just wondering is anybody selling bulk loads of hardwood rings or split loads? Loads being 10m3 plus, not 8x4 trailers. Based in the Midlands, good prices offered for nice ash, beech, oak etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 farmerd

BogBoy84 wrote: »
    Just wondering is anybody selling bulk loads of hardwood rings or split loads? Loads being 10m3 plus, not 8x4 trailers. Based in the Midlands, good prices offered for nice ash, beech, oak etc.

What thickness do the rings need to be? My stove takes logs 20" long, so the rings are cut to that size. In future I'll cut them thinner/ smaller.
    Any consensus on the ideal length/ diameter for firewood ? I find there is a woeful range in size requirements depending on stove opes and capacities. And customers do be remarkable fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BogBoy84

farmerd wrote: »
    What thickness do the rings need to be? My stove takes logs 20" long, so the rings are cut to that size. In future I'll cut them thinner/ smaller.
    Any consensus on the ideal length/ diameter for firewood ? I find there is a woeful range in size requirements depending on stove opes and capacities. And customers do be remarkable fussy.

Generally about 10-12" is ideal for most stoves. They're a decent size for good burning but also not too big for smaller stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone know where to source thinnings around the general Tipperary area

• Advertisement

I'm thinning 20 year old oak and ash at the moment. 10 ft long logs, ranging from 10 cm to 25 cm across. The oak could be used as fencing stakes ( the straight ones) . Otherwise perfect for firewood.
    I'll have about 50 tons when finished.
    Any interest.? Athy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

I'm thinning 20 year old oak and ash at the moment. 10 ft long logs, ranging from 10 cm to 25 cm across. The oak could be used as fencing stakes ( the straight ones) . Otherwise perfect for firewood.
    I'll have about 50 tons when finished.
    Any interest.? Athy area.

any prices?

bassy wrote: »
    any prices?

About €50 cubic metre from yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irishpride12

About €50 cubic metre from yard.

Are you going selling the Ash by the truck load thanks

Are you going selling the Ash by the truck load thanks

If I get enough together. I'll get back on this forum when I know my situation better. Thanks to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 irishpride12

I am looking to buy for my firewood business and have cash waiting. Looking to deal direct with owners no messing. I could send you my number thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

Kindling available in pallets of 100 bags PM for details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Hi All,

In the process of replacing our stove and the shop is saying we should only burn kiln dried wood or the 3 year gurantee is invalid. They are saying that 2-3 logs of kiln dried wood will last several hours and burns longer and better. This to me makes no sense as surely drier wood would burn faster or are there other variables to consider. We have a good supplier of wood and its always well seasoned and is great value for a full trailer load. I dont want to end up with a scenario where we buy a stove that runs off only kiln dried as this is obviously more expensive.

Looking at this on the web throws up a 50/50 response with some saying it burns too fast and others saying it lasts longer. Does anyone have experience of running a stove only on kiln dried after running one on seasoned wood and what was your experience

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Burning wood is a chemical reaction. Simply put there are two parts to it; the initial wood gas burning off which gives the dancing flame and the secondary char burning and glowing, the second being a slower burn.

More advanced stoved look to maximise the energy recovered from the fire by ensuring all the wood gas is burnt; this typically involves regulating the airflow to minimise unburnt gas exiting from via the flue. The dryer the wood the better, adding water (in the form of damp wood) will only drop combustion temperature and reduce efficiency.

The reason wood burns too quickly is a shortcoming is stove design and build rather than a problem with the wood.

As a general point, save yourself money and do what the Scandinavians do; buy your wood in late spring, split it get it covered and get a good airflow through. Sub 20% moisture is going to be good enough for most devices

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is nothing really mechanical in a stove that can go wrong. The only real problem would be soot forming on the glass because of moisture in the wood. That's aesthetic more than a problem with warranty

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Hi,

Im currently looking around to stock up on firewood for the winter-Cork city. Whats the best price anyone has found? Been quoted 13 euro for a 15kg bag of kiln dried birch logs but think i can prob find it cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Cheery Midwinter to all,

We're currently clearing a good step of ash, planted 1996, 2001, and 2004, ash dieback.

Any interest in the portion suitable for firewood?

Note, this timber is freshly felled.

I'm located in Tang (about 19km north of Athlone)

Timber will be available for collection from the yard in 4m lengths, we have a timber crane on site for loading.

We can cut your timber shorter to fit your vehicle or to firewood log lengths for a small extra charge.

tim

pm for contact details please

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Hi all, I said I'd stick this here instead of starting a new thread, I have been offered a lorry load of poplar if I want it.

Question 1. What's it like as a firewood, small house to heat which I use coal and spruce for, is it as good as spruce ?

Question 2. If not any good for firewood can it be milled into lengths for house building as I know carpenters like polar as its easy to work with ?

Many thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Soft to work with, clogs were made from it, also matches. Burns ok but it needs to be well seasoned. Probably burns best along with a hardwood.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi Still Stihl,

Poplar makes nice floorboards, It was extensively used in the past mainly in "industrial" buildings because of its very good abrasion resistance. Reclaimed poplar floorboards fromthese buildings are a "thing" in the USA at the moment............

It is not special as firewood, it would have a similar density to spruce so a similar amount of heat per m³ with the advantage that it is not as sparky.

tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Thanks for that, I think I'll cut it up and stack it in the shed, how long would it take in a ventilated shed to season

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

Hi All.

Im looking for pulpwood delivered in west clare? 3 or 4 lifts / a truckload depending on price. Anyone having any info can P.M. me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭G-Man

Anywhere to source a load of thinnings ; ASH, softwood etc. have yard for someon to tip in .. NE Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭G-Man

20ft would be enough for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lstmd

How much per ton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭memorystick

How much is a bag of timber like this making? I’ve around 20 cut so far. White thorn and ash. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I know that last year a lad was selling pine in those bags for 85/bag collected.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭memorystick

Advertisement