Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From 1980s Bray Pirate BLB (Bray Local Broadcasting) to Licensed Radio

Options
  • 12-05-2022 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

BLB stood for Bray Local Broadcasting and was, undoubtedly, the best known pirate in Wicklow, especially north Wicklow. It would have had quite a good geographical reach being easy to pick up in much of south Dublin. A lot of people went through there. A number of presenters, I'm pretty sure, ended up on the then licensed station for north Wicklow Horizon Radio, which was based in Bray as well. Some may have gone to the then licensed station for south Wicklow EZ103. The two merged to form East Coast Radio in 1992 and I believe quite a few from BLB ended up there too.

Ohers may have to fill in many of those links between BLB and the licensed Wicklow stations, but I will give you some of the moves of ex-BLB to licensed radio.

Adrian Kennedy, who was Station Manager with BLB - Classic Hits and Newstalk. He was of course associated with talk shows on FM104 and 98FM for many years.

Timmy Hannigan, aka Mr. Spring - 2FM. Yes, it's true, even though he would have been more associated with '90s pirates. Not long after BLB, he also turned up on the aforementioned EZ103.

Mike Duggan - East Coast FM

Joe Bollard (RIP)- East Coast FM

Daphne Mitchell - Chelmar Radio, UK

Chris Kennedy - Radio Seagull, former pirate turned licensed Dutch offshore station. His real name is Chris Conway and he did a stint with offshore pirate Radio Caroline when Steve Conway was there. Also did a stint with the aforementioned Horizon Radio.

Paul Bradley (?) - I think I read somewhere that he did a stint with BLB - maybe someone could confirm that - Q102

Rónán Ó Dubhthaigh (RIP) - Raidio na Life

Karen Shields (possibly now called Karen Morton) - UK Radio: Reverb Radio and More FM Radio if the same person.

If I think of more I will come back.

Edit: Just did! John Public - Dublin City FM. I presume it was the same program that he presents now, and presented on many south Dublin pirates: Black Echoes. He also used to have a monthly stint on 2FM with Black Echoes.

Maybe you could think of more, especially the Wicklow connections. What about its founders Mark Quinn and Doug McGuire, for example?

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

Comments

Advertisement