Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First cut silage - What's it worth?

Options
  • 12-05-2022 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have a Man onto me looking to take a first cut of silage off me. It is fairly new grass, got 3 bags/acre and got slurry. Just wondering whats it worth ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

A Dairy neighbour has taken 9 acres from me for a late First cut around June 5th as I'm understocked at the moment and don't need all the silage. I grazed it all in March/April. Closed on April 16th. He put 3000gal slurry on in that week. We agreed 80 per acre on top of the fertilizer cost (which was 140). In your case 3 bags of CAN? is 150 + Slurry (50?) + whatever you think for the ground. I would say if its new grass and wasn't grazed and is ready now 300 isn't a crazy price but others on here might know more. Its the fertilizer that is driving it up and it has to be passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

That would have the land charge stagnant from 2 years ago. €350 would be my minimum price to one of those dairy oligarchs. Don’t be shy asking €400. After he regurgitates his dinner and you give him a dart of the defibrillator, ask him what he was thinking. Then ease back but take no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d be thinking somewhere around €120-€150 of a land charge and fertiliser on top. In your case @Barron lad that’d be somewhere in the €300-€350 an acre region. It’s a lot of money for the lad taking it but you’d be no millionaire out of it either so what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Barron lad

Thank's, It will be ready for cutting at the end of the month which is early for us. It was 3 bags of cutsward it got. I had €350/acre in my head for me to have anything out of it at all for myself.

Advertisement