Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange New Worlds 1x02 - 'Children of the Comet' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 12-05-2022 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Strange New Worlds 1x02 - 'Children of the Comet' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I found that to be a throughly enjoyable episode. Good story, great fun, and great visuals. At the opening scene with the captains dinner I was worried that they were setting up "lets explore Uhuras trauma" a la the other live action trek series. But instead it was setting up, she sings songs, and singing to the comet does the space magic. Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Initial Impressions - Strange New Worlds is 2/2 on Good episodes!!

• Excellent dialogue, well written, decent
    • Good story - i enjoyed it - classic trek
    • Fantastic Drama and suspense
    • Worthy of a re-watch tonight me thinks!
    • Character development is great but i would have liked more Chief Engineer (im sure we will get some)

My only negative point

• Really hoping we end the Pikes Future story ASAP - if it has to bleed through for a season, so be it -
    • One thing did occur to me - Pike may realize that 'FATE SET' offers a dividend - If his future is 100% set, then he is TECHNICALLY bullet proof until then!!!??? Could come in handy

No over all i am very impressed - Maybe not quite up to the standard of EP1 - but its up there -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

@liamtech I was also thinking that it possibly wasn't as good as the first episode, but on reflection it's probably getting used to standalone episodes rather than the overly serialised nature of recent Trek. I don't see the Pikes future part being too annoying, as long as it keeps to the somewhat limited reflections on it during the episodes.Like this episode. It was mentioned as a thing in a brief conversation at the start of the episode, we have a space adventure, at the end we get a brief reflection on what was learned. Personally I think it will be an undercurrent throughout the series, but as long as it's not an overt focus (at least too much), that's grand like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So just watching this now. I knew wee would get to find out more about the Chief Engineer in this. Good to see hope back in Star Trek again because even do he is blind all his other senses are superior so cool. I actually seen a preview but did not watch it on You-Tube and though oh there is Andorans in the next episode. So cool to see it is actually not Andorians but a Anar instead.

Nice to see that the crew are actually been given decent backstories I this. Cadet Uhuras was very well thought out and heartbreaking. I can not wait to here from some of the other crew.

Surprised do that Pike woukd ask where do you see yourself in 10years time when he knows he will not be around after that we'll not his full self anyway and you could see he got it and to ask it. Surely ask them where they see they see themselves in 5 years time would have made more sense for him but then we would not get the fact he struggles with it still I suppose.

My first impression when Enterprise fired the torpedoes others not normal when they hit the comet. I knew then it was or could not be on a natural projectory maybe even not a natural comet maybe made by Aliens.

Still watching :)

I must say the corridors on the ship are plenty big anyway. Even the Galaxy Class D and the JJ-Prise did not have corriders as wide as the ones on this Enterprise so I wonder what her dimensions are. How big is she?

Anyone know?

Yes it is the Enterprise I am talking about. Has anyone seen any dimensions for the size of it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'm rewatching episode 1 right now to try and decide which episode I like more . It really is hard to call, I'd probably give ep2 a slight edge as I genuinely got goosebumps at Uhura communicating with the comet by singing.

On how they are exploring Pikes fate, I'm loving how they are using the themes of the episode to reframe how Pike feels about his fate. As long as he isn't seeing himself scarred up and in the wheelchair in every reflection, in every episode, we're all good .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭corkie

Enjoyable episode, glad of the break from serialized episodes.

Normally share the below link, for reference to the episode.

Unlike last week, the episode breakdown has not been published yet.

Edit: - Now posted so spoilers in link.

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I dont know what the powers that be's plans are post the final Kelvin universe film but I could definitely see this crew making the jump to the big screen. What do you guys think ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If they gave me just SNW and Lower Decks and cancelled everything else, I'd be delighted.

Anson Mount is so good. The scene when he laughs at Uhura's dress uniform is absolute gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The same here. That was a good episiode and I will watch it again but overall I think I enjoyed the first episode mire and I was also disappointwd that there was not more with the Engineer on this episode.

I want to see engineering proper and him too. We only got a clance of it in the trailers. So I am looking forward to that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another excellent episode - can't wait for next weeks.

• Advertisement

Im actually off sick atm - so basically i have time to kill, so naturally i re-watched EP1 and 2 back to back - they are both excellent. And again it baffles me to view the contrast between this, and Disco, and Picard - however staying on topic - i rate episode 1 as having edged it. The story was just that little stronger, the Pike Speech (would rival Picards IMHO) was outstanding, as was that montage - iv rewatched that scene alone, more than once. And it is emotive - really is a high point of modern trek -

That said todays episode was fantastic too - really getting into it now - if im annoyed at anything its that 7 whole days must pass before we are back for more!!!

I mean look, when we are debating which was better between the only two released eps of a Trek series - I mean we are in the premier league again, this is City V Liverpool territory - who knows how high the bar will go!!!!! - for the last few years its been the league two relegation zone! Having endured the travesty of Disco in recent seasons (cant overstate that) - and the mitigated disappointment of Picard S2 (loved it at times - underwhelmed at the end) - here we are with promotion back to the top.

I think its important to say that 2 eps in we are doing fantastic. I fully expect a stinker, (maybe 2) - from this show - But id imagine even a weak outing from this ship, and this crew - will be leagues ahead of all other current trek incarnations

It really is wonderful to chat with trekkies about this too - and see the long absent positivity for the franchise - Bravo -

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

So good! Loved it. Uhura is great. Really like Ethan Peck as Spock, more than I did in Disco and much more than whathisname in the movies.

Whole thing was great. Looked great. No nauseating camera jitters and swoops.

Looks like somewhere I'd want to be doing things I'd want to be doing with people I'd want to be with.

Still scared to recommend it to anyone after Disco and Picard but so far so good to have some actual Star Trek on the telly again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A solid episode, though I still think that episode 1 did better, with some better set pieces and more striking visuals.

Nice to have a significant chunk of time dedicated just to building up their characters as well, including taking the time to depict some normal ship board life.

A touch I also appreciated is that there's no attempt to explain the nature or source of what's in the comet, they're happy to leave it as an enduring mystery without wrapping it up with a bow on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

Oh, I strongly preferred this episode over the first one actually. First one was good but had all that necessary on-boarding for the new show, and the first contact bit wasn't really anything we haven't seen before. Perfectly good! But I preferred this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Oh wow. That's a Star Trek episode!!!

Absolutely Brilliant. Much better than the first episode which I also enjoyed.

1) actual character development!!!!!

2) a crew working together!!

3) music, set pieces, problem solving

4) and the mystery remaining at the end.

Yep very happy with that.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This sums it up for me. Really enjoyed that episode tonight.

The show is certainly starting strong but it undoubtedly helps that Pike in particular featured heavily previously.

I honestly did not expect much from this show and wasn't pushed on yet another prequel, but they really do seem have captured the feel of Trek (as the 2 animated shows have done) and so I'm pleasantly surprised by this and happy to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭corkie

@eadrom Wrong Spock! ~~ The Big Bang Theory - Live Long and SUCK IT, Zachary Quinto ~~ Youtube

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A mischievous though has occurred to me.

Does anyone else think that this one episode of SNW had the same plot as the entire season 4 of Discovery? Mysterious alien artifact threatens destruction, crew learn unusual communications method to contact aliens, disaster is averted accordingly. Well, except not dragged out pointlessly over 13 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think all these "best pilots" need to have a contest to find out who is the best of the best. First we have Detmer vs Ortegas.

I like how Pike is "I'm gonna die. Oh well let's enjoy what I have left". If that was Burnham, We would have constant monologues in barely audible whispers about it and how proud she is of the crew no one can name. And feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was really enjoyable and I liked the call out to The Next Generation and the bonding between Spock and Uhura

but whew! that feels moment at the end with Pike. This could be a jagged arc they unfurl in this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I waited until the opening credits before i made my mind up that i love this episode. :)

It was just very good. My main worry was that they’d spend the whole episode on the comet and it would become a bit boring trying to communicate through music. But it wrapped that part up promptly and there was some cool space battles and comet debris dodging. Just very well paced throughout.

Some thoughts…

• Pike is a hunk. I mean I’m not gay but you have to admire his handsomeness. Nothing wrong with him being a hunk either in terms of him being a very charming character

• Ortegas is the right amount of quippy. I’m looking forward to her being rattled at some stage to see if she has another dimension.

• Love the ship. Love the way it’s well lit and we aren’t getting stupid dizzying camera angles ruining it.

• I hope we never see that comet again. It’d prove this show is different if it just allowed a mystery to remain a mystery.

• This sounds bizarre but I’m getting the same feeling from watching this show as i get watching The Orville. By that i mean I feel like they are hitting the right notes in terms of maintaining that Star Trek feel. It’s hard to explain but to me The Orville is more trek than Disco or Picard.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,761 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, it definitely feels like they're following more in the footsteps of The Orville than any recent trek. Very similar tone to what the Orville developed into - playfull and fun, but also adventurous and thoughtful.

Enjoyed this one anyway - though I do have the very slight itch of some Discovery storytelling in 2 small moments there too. Not having Ohura explain the context of her "Let me try something" moment. She made her little tune, and the shields dropped. I'd have liked just one more line saying what she had learned, and why that tune would drop the shields. That, and not setting up up front the Spock plan - in 'proper' trek, we'd have learned of the plan, and then seen them try to execute. In this case we just get one teasing line that they were going to try to make it move itself, but they left us in the dark as to what Spock was doing until it was pretty much done. 'Proper' trek usually placed us on the inside, so we learned with the crew what was going on, and were on the same terms as them. If we were in the dark, then so were they, and the mystery was unraveled together. Here, they put the crew ahead of us.

Not a big deal, and otherwise quite a good watch, I'm just hyper-conscious of little tell-tales of Disco stuff now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed that one a lot too. Like the engineer. Thought the Spock/Uhura scene were great. Especially the first one. So many people's dream was to join Starfleet and she was on the fence? Yeah, I was with him on that.

Thought Uhura herself was great. I was watching it thinking "Oh God, are they going to sing?" But it was actually nicely done. Was thinking "Can you imagine the overly emotional voice over we would get on Disco with shots in show motion of the crew smiling at eachother or looking worshipingly at Burnham".

Even the casualness of some of the characters is fine (I did like the questioning look Uhura have as Soong casually the the phaser to Spock. Even she was surprised)

And Pike's reaction to Ortegas making a manoeuvre after herself. Lol.

Yeah, no complaints. Very enjoyable. Bring on the next one

I can just imagine that Plot in discovery - Burnham is going to die:

Burnham: I knew i would give my life for Starfleet and the Federation etc etc.. But i admit to feeling grim... etc etc.. I will not be able to enjoy a reborn federation etc etc

Fans Watching: Just ****ING DIE ALREADY? FFS, COME ON... Why? Why couldnt she die this week.... UGH

Fans Online: Ok so when she dies, and leaves the show, i assume Saru takes over~? All agreed? Better she dies soon, so Sara can have some breathing room to get back in his Captaincy Groove - all agreed?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Then the episode would finally happen where she dies. It would be a 2 parter and she would die within the first 5 minutes of the first episode. The rest of it would be spent with the crew crying and remembering how great and brave and special she was. They would vow to carry on in her memory even though it was so difficult to be without her. Discovery would be renamed the Burnham. Then 5 minutes before the episode end, Burnham would figure out a way to bring herself back from the dead. It has to be Burnham because the rest are so useless they can't even figure out how to tie their shoe laces.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Nothing much to add that hasn't been said above but just wow, loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well likely she would ascend upon her death and be basically given godlike powers (since that's pretty much all she's missing) which we'll see her eventually choose to turn down so that she could return to the living as there is work left to be done and they could never complete it without her.

Plus feelings!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Yay for classic phasers. Love the "beam", not the pew pew pew machine gun effect so much modern trek has

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh my gosh, 2 episodes in and another cracker. Hard to decide between the opening duo which was more enjoyable - but that's a nice problem to have. This was a classic Trek conundrum, albeit ramped up with more pep in the step. Fanatically entertaining with a decent resolution. Everyone got something to do, in the best format of an ensemble show.

I really can't fault this so far, and if I did it would only be as an intent towards negativity. Yes, maybe Ortega is a touch too informal on the bridge, but then she's meant to be a bit cocky so not exactly egregious either.

The little moments with the new engineer and nurse Chapel all nice, valuable snippets of personality.

It's so good to have Trek back, but I won't lie, I'm also paranoid at any episode the wheels fall off.

Advertisement