Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Order of Malta Volunteer Jailed for role in Sexual Abuse of Two Teenagers

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Not foreign, so most wont care.

Scumbags, the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayfabe

Headlines today seems to suggest there are several other victims.

Order of Malta is no different than any of the other religious institutions and this is not an isolated incident either in that organisation.

There have been previous court cases where they actively tried to Bury sexual abuse of adults as recently as up to 5 years ago.

Yet they are still in receipt of millions in tax payers money each year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭donaghs

Disgusting. Not the first allegations certainly, but the first prosecution for the Order?

Order have been in court before on covering up sexual assaults and protecting the offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

At least not that concurrent sentence bollocks you usually see in Irish courts, but even after the severity of the case, 5.5 years in jail? The last two years suspended, so they don’t count.

What do you need to do to get a proper prison sentence in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Very rare to see consecutive sentences. Still not long enough. The details there are fuckjng disgusting.

Saw a case of a guy who killed a man during the week with his car. Didn't stop took Garda alot of resources to track him down.

Has 3 previous convictions including one with no insurance and he gets handed a suspended sentence.

Judges need to be held accountable in some shape or form for sentences like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Sounds like the “leader” got a significantly longer sentence than his groomed follower. Interesting case which hopefully means that unaccounted supplies are looked at more thoroughly going forward.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The judiciary don't make the law, they applied and it is up the DPP to decide to appeal the sentence if they don't agree with the ruling. If you are not satisfied with the law as it stands, then talk to you TD, they are responsible for making the laws.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The judiciary determine the sentence and how much is suspended or not. There are no issues with laws in this country. The issues are with enforcement and sentencing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

5 years and 9 years seems one of them got off lightly , while he may or may not have taken part physically he should have gotten a similar sentence ,

Not really. I posted about it once (and was proven to be correct) and left it alone until you brought it back up.

It’s not a stupid post.

Look at all the threads where someone not from Ireland commits a crime and the vitriol thrown at them compared to this thread, where two people in a voluntary organisation committed heinous crimes and there is barely a peep.

Fact of the matter is, boards doesn’t care about crime unless it’s committed by travellers or immigrants.

You can argue a toss with it all you want, but there is literally pages upon pages of evidence that backs up my assertion.

half the noise in those threads is posters jumping in to decry that the thread only exists because the convicted is x/y/z and not wanting any actual discussion beyond making that assertion

you can have it one way or the other but im not sure you can have it both tbh

That's absolutely wrong.

There is a reason posts about immigrants have more interaction. It is because people are outraged about a) the crime and b) lax immigration standards which leads to a longer conversation.

This topic is disgusting but doesn't lead to any further discussion apart from distain for the perpetrators and perhaps anger at lenient sentencing. That's why people aren't as vocal, not because of lack of vitriol, but because of lack of being able to add anything further except utter condemnation which has already been stated by other posters.

You trying to say that people "don't care" is wrong and is a very poor way of trying to insert racism/xenophobia into a topic where it isn't warranted for some bizarre reason.

I know people in the order of malta, i know its a community organisation that does a huge amount of good work, im not sure personally id think of it as a primarily religious institution when i think of it, tbh, but i can absolutely understand if people do of course

anyone working with minors or vulnerable people should be supervised, trained and monitored to the highest possible degree and we should have learned by now that nationality, religiosity, familial relationship etc is no protection against the dangers.

the one thing that strikes me, as usual, is the overhang we have in the state around services randomly provided between gaps in govt provisioning- charity, sport, support for care in the community- and what more can be done to ensure that the power these roles can give isnt abused.

ive no idea whether one could usefully compare the level of sexual abuse in these settings vs international norms and how we can get closer to the practices that exist in other countries if this is proven to occur at a higher rate here than elsewhere, but that to me would seem to be the better starting point for discussion than "not foreign so the racists wont care"

@snoopsheep ,for me the biggest issue in safeguarding children and vunerable people is the only line of defense tends to be the Garda vetting process,and if a predator hasn't come to the attention of the guards they could easily get a job or a role volunteering in a community ,for instance I'm vetted for 3 education roles and 2 coaching roles , but other than that there is no other checks into people ,

Should people who work with children and vunerable people have to allow a 3rd party access to their phones and computers before getting a role and during employments /volunteering ,I don't think there is any 110% foolproof way to prevent a predator getting a role with children or vunerable people, especially lf they haven't come to anyones attention before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

And don't forget a prison year is 9 months, not 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Quite frankly if you insist on that level of invasion you will not have a problem with exploitation because you'll have absolutely no volunteers.

Exactly , but should the only other thing be a simple online form to fill out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That form is far from simple as it stands. Garda vetting isn't going to catch everyone and that is a risk to be accepted if we want volunteers, sports clubs etc.

There are not many ways of improving it without destroying the voluntary sector.

Religion is very much a part of that organisation it is just REALLY good at hiding its direct connection to Rome.

Advertisement