Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

Funkey if I were you I’d be getting out the fert and more importantly get the cattle out. Don’t mind what the neighbours are doing, you do what’s best for you. May and June are the peak grass growing months of the year. If the grass isn’t there in them 2 months it won’t be there any month of the year.

Your cattle won’t be thriving in the shed at this day of the year either. Even as an experiment let out half of them and whenever you let out the second half compare the difference to the 2 batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Visited relatives in Mayo and was shocked that they still had half their cows inside. They had plenty grass from what I could see but I think it is the lack of fertilizer has them frightened to let the stock out.

I'm of the opinion that if you have always fertilized then there will be a buffer in the soil that grass will use. So for this year a lighter shake of fertilizer should not have a major difference in grass growth. If it continues into next year then you would then start to see a change in output

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Quick question on covering a pit. First time in about 15 years doing a pit this year so looking to get a bit of info on covering. Have no tyres or anything so starting from scratch. Was thinking of getting the easy fix 1.5by1.8 meter covers they are about 30 kg or would it be better get a big 10 by 10 cover and the tyres that are cut in half. All info welcome. Will be putting cling film and a hermitage cover on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Check out some videos on YouTube,

Get as many hands as you can to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭cute geoge

the silage mats of tyres joined together is a super job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This thing about letting cattle out is all.in the mind. If there is grass there I would be letting cattle eat it. As long as ground can best it eat it. Even the fear of damage cattle will do is over emphaised. The biggest factor about fear is fear itself.

Rehousing 1/2 your stick is not so eathing to be afraid of. I would prefer to be sticking a bale in a feeder in May than in November and alot of lads do that anyway

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Been hearing there's q bit of a swing back to pit from bales.anyone changing back to pit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was always put for main cut, but with extra ground will prob have more bales, will suit transport and cutting a bit more. Doing a share of reseeding this year so should be less bales

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Same every year. First cuts are all into pits and then later in the year lads go for bales

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The fertiliser will be going out hopefully this week. Was still cold here until about last week.

Re having the cattle still in. I'd like to have them out too, but they will be in for a few weeks yet as although the grass is greening up there is no bulk to it here yet. The silage bales are already a year old so may as well use therm up new when they are in decent shape. They'll have to go out then as if not calving will be pushed out next year.

In regards to lads wanting a back of grass, there are ones on the grazing thread worrying about drought and grass growth, so it's not ideal putting cattle with young calves out and then having to rehouse them. In my opinion it's better to keep them in until you know they can stay out.

As for watching the neighbours, it's not a matter of looking over the hedge. It's a point that in this area the temperature isn't there yet to be going out with it and noone is doing it. We're not that far behind last year, but behind nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Grass has absolutely bomber ahead this week on silage grounds. Gone from 4-6'' high to 8-10'' high. Will not be cutting until around the 25th but much happier this week than last week

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Good loser

Find it difficult to accept your grass situation is as bad as you say. It does NOT make sense at anytime to feed bales when there is ANY possibility of a pick of grass; the smallest colour of grass should be enough on May 8. Especially this year when bales could cost €10 plus more than other years. You're wasting money bigtime imo. If you graze the grass tight it will be all the better later in year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That is tough going ,mind me asking what part of country are you .There is a massive varation in climate in this small country of ours .It has being a great spring down here in N .Kerry with ideal grazing conditions,growth a bit slow but there was a great bank built up after winter in the 1st round I gave ground 2k gal ,wattery slurry and 23 units of urea/acre after Ist round and 2 nd round came good enough .My secret rightly or wrongly I plaster place with slurry after closing in mid october ,little or no grazing from November 1 st on ,I would be on goodish ground but it cuts up and gets wet with any rain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Good loser

It probably depends on the machinery available. I'm an old hand and have always done it alone the hard way with 2/3 covers (tough if windy) zill bags around the edges two lines of pallets in front and then tyres with nets over to keep birds off. I have plenty time and cut 12 acres each time, would hve all done in about 6 hours. In recent years have used clingfilm as first layer.

Considering getting Easyfix for first cut - about 50 covers (one pallet) would cost around €1700 incl Vat delivered. Size is 1.3m x 2 m and wt 33 kg. Have only seen pictures. They will sell smaller quantities. 50 covers would do 130 sq m. So would only do a % of the job.

If you see yourself being medium term in the business would invest in Easyfix. The zill bags were always a good investment.

With my system silage can get to 2m in height and I roll the plastic back a metre once a week as it gets high - feed that day for the week. Cut the top (second year) layer off with a Stanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I walked the meadows today. Same as you, a foot of grass and a big relief.

@cute geoge I'm up in Antrim. We'd always be behind you guys down in the tropics by a few weeks and we'd close up at the end of the year before youse too - early/mid October onwards depending on the season. Last year was an anomaly in that we could keep them out to December.

At minute we are only a few weeks behind and add on the fertiliser issues we'll wait it out and won't end up too far off. Fed up with the feeding routine, but that's the way things go. Haven't really had a decent prolonged period of good weather yet, but things are on the up now.

As I said the bales we are feeding are already a year old and would be almost worthless next year in terms of nutritional value and financial value. Better off using them up now. Any grass that gets ahead of the cattle can be baled up. We've enough wrap and net from last year to do that majority of this years fodder. Surplus bales can be sold.

If you eating bales and going to have surplus grass in a few weeks time you are adding cost into your system. Beef is very unforgiving of cost. Even without fertlizer bales are going to cost in or around 15-17/ bale. Fertlizer to grow it is adding another 15-20 bale.

Bales are looking like costing 35+/ bale. Those old bales if put aside and fed fist next Autumn it's a better option than watch grass growing now and baling in 2-3 weeks time. As well cattle are really stale in a shed now. At best they are gaining 400 grams per day. Out on grass they will be doing 1 kg+. Come August that gain starts to drop off fairly fast.

Any bales that are left over from a previous year should be fed first in the autumn.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’d definitely be getting cattle out. If worried about grass supply at the minute then a better option is to give them a bale in a feeder on the grass. Stretches the grass and gets the cattle out. And they will eat it even if they have grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Funkey Monkey, did you ever think about leaving the cows out for a few hours during the day to a strip of grass and bring them back inside for the night to the calves and the silage? I have seen it work to great success in places. Also helps the cows go back in heat by being away from the calf for the day.

• Advertisement

Making a nice sup of rain now. Badly needed as the ground was gone hard. I reckon it's about 14 days away from being fit to cut which is more or less where it was last year without the Bag fertilizer

I think the regrowth might suffer though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Much the same as that here. Over the last couple of weeks it's shot up out of the ground. Will leave it till closer to the June bank holiday before knocking.

Regrowth will probably suffer without the bit of fert from the bag. Will put a coating of pig slurry on.

Main grazing block is off farm and only starting to come now. We would normally calf and turn out after a week and have all out by now this year but a lot of things have conspired against that happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Cattle would be better off outside now with nothing to eat rather than being inside this time of the year. They’ll do more a thrive in April and may than they will from august to November unless it’s a very dry back end.

Serious growth around here (midlands) in the last 10 days. Lads are looking for a few fine sunny days now to get heavier meadows cut. We were baling for a man at the weekend that measures grass and his 10 day average growth was 116kgs. The first 5 days of that 10 was before the growth really kicked off so he thinks it’s probably hitting 120-130 at the moment and it would normally be June before he sees them type of figures.

That’s some of my own meadow in the picture. I’d like to be getting it off the ground soon, the first heads are just appearing now. Plenty of other meadows around like that too. Apart from 2020 I can’t think of another year in living memory where there was as much grass this early in the season.

I know there’s other lads on here that were worried about drought and more with ground too wet and not enough grass yet for letting out stock. It just goes to show the massive variations we have in such a small country!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'm the same here. Nearly too much grass about the place atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭morphy87

Great looking crop, how long is it closed off and how much fertilizer did it get? I’d say it was recently reseeded

Weanlings were taken off it on Christmas Eve and there was more grass on the main road than what was on it that day!

It got 2,500 gallons of pig slurry mid January when the closed period ended. I had planned on putting cattle slurry out on it 6 or 8 weeks after that but didn’t get time so all it got was 1 bag of Urea per acre then towards the end of March.

Reseeded about 4 years. It came out of long term tillage a few years before that but it’s funny ground, it’s off the scale for P, would be index 10 if the indexes went that high and K is a disaster in it, always index 1 or 2 no matter what so generally it gets slurry and 19-0-15 every year but said I’d chance the urea alone this year with the way things have went.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Couple of paddocks taken out

• Advertisement

Looks light. Cutting a crop like that would hardly be worth the diesel used.

Advertisement