Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Silage 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

How about mixed farmers? 60% or so of my current stock is beef stock

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Maybe we can claim off the same ground twice? 1st cut and 2nd cut? That’s as long as you are under the 10 hectares of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Was the beef and sheep only condition an afterthought?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭dmakc

As is the case with TAMS grants, a good portion of that 40 euro will also comfort contractors to increase their fee that bit more. I wouldn't be surprised if it's now 10-20 more per acre than it was last week.

If anything the exclusion of dairy farmers might keep contractors honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I presume if you are in Dairy that will be it.

Ya it seems you. An claim for first and second cut. However they have stated it will be monitored by the eye in the sky.

Because it limited to 10ha and to beef/ sheep farmers it should not allow too much of a grab by either fertlizer companies or contractors.

Lots of drystock farmers on poorer quality land might just go out and buy a ton or two of fertlizer. Even two bags 18-6-12 per acre on a silage field at this stage would push it on a good bit.

Put 500 euro with it and if the field got slurry you could go with a bag of protected urea per acre on 25 acres.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭leoch

Any more detail on how to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Does anyone know of any farmer that has decided they are keeping cattle next winter but not cutting any silage because of the price of fertilizer?

I can’t think of anyone I know that hasnt fertilizer out and meadows growing at this stage. Will this €1000 euro change anybody’s mind about cutting silage? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

My feeling is lads are going to reduce the numbers they keep over the winter. This will have a knock on effect to the store trade over back end of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Not but it cements in my mind not to give cattle away the end of the year due to worrying about low silage level. The extra 1k if I can get it will make the second crop a good crop of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Yeah all drystock farmers around me seem to be putting out similar amount as other years. Can't see a major glut this backend unless we get a bad summer for growing grass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Why overthink it, isn't it grand to get it.

People seem to be criticising it even though we're not entitled to it at all,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

My thoughts exactly. Any man that’s not happy with it doesn’t have to take it but all of these thousands don’t fall down out of the sky, take all of them you can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

What is a meadow of good quality grass worth in the field per acre? Fertiliser, probably less than the farmer would normally tho and slurry gotten already. Would have to make bales of it.

Depending on grass quality and amount of fert spread the rates around here are anything from €230 - €300 per acre and most lads want it gone off the field by June bank holiday. €230 being older meadow and €300 being recently reseeded high quality meadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw a neighbour shaking a meadow today.

From what was in it already, he'd have a big crop the end of May. He'll have something savage in 6 weeks time.

Lot of people are worried about next winter and planning for all eventualities.

I've met no one recently who is thinking about adding more this winter or standing still.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The real fear is for ladd that feed a nice bit of ration over a winter. Whether it's 2-3 kgs to stores or weanlings or 10+ kgs to finishing cattle.

Feeding 3 kgs to stores next winter if ration prices remain the same will mean that it will cost you 2.2/ day to overwinter stores and 2/ day for weanlings. Finishing costs will 5 euro/ day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Around here, most have reduced the amount to fertiliser being spread on meadows. A lot have a buffer of silage and hay left from last year, due to the good growing conditions last year.

As bass said ration price is going to be the pinch in the system. There is no sign of the Ukraine war ending soon, China in lockdown at the moment is a blessing in disguise for oil price and inflation. When China is opened up this will drive things gangbusters for at least 3 months

Funding feeding ration at €500±/ton is going to hard ask for most farmers, even those that are feeding a kg/day. Heavy meal feeders are likely to sit it out or drop numbers. We are sleep walking into a supply crisis. Cull numbers will be up until the back end of the year, lads will be dropping numbers to make the winter easier. This will no just be Ireland, it will be a world wide issue. Grain planned to be fed to animals will most likely end up in the market due to higher prices.

We have options in this country, due to our climate for grass. This is the year for quality feed, more so if a buffer is leftover. Taking out strong paddocks that were planned for grazing in the next 2 weeks is a great opportunity. Growth is now on people's side and the staggered aftergrass into the system. Here I have 4 paddocks of 1st round grass, I should have taken out last week, will be taken for bales at the next opportunity. This is high quality feed. Anything to put cheap weight on cattle is now more pronounced so strip wires and moving to a fresh pick every 2 days.

Secondly there is time for beef farmers to put a bit of arable silage in. Will have yeild and some more energy from the grain. Again undersow and with the TIS scheme, it will pay for the seed and grass seed. Even 5 acres will be a big help to most farmers. I put 15 acres on tired silage ground. I had planned to do about 9 acres before the scheme was announced.

This year is the year to do something different. We will probably have inflation for the next 2-3 years. Worldwide beef futures are rising for the next year, dairy will turn downwards towards the end of the year. My plan is to up beef stock by about 10% in the current climate, I'm not overstocked and it won't put fertiliser quantity up.

When everyone is running one way, walk slowly the opposite way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭morphy87

what is the current price of beef ration? I will be going using some from July onwards, would it increase much by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Arable silage is hardly eligible for that scheme, isn't the idea to increase amount of grain harvested?

• Advertisement

Anyone cutting any this weekend? I’ve 3 men after ringing between last night and this morning to take out paddocks. Going to mow today and bale tomorrow. Might do a few of my own too when we’ll be yoked up anyway.

Grass after growing like mad here the last week and it’s all getting ahead of stock now. As Stonewall said earlier if ever there’s a year to be aiming for top quality this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It was a full wet day here yesterday too but nice and sunny today. What’s being cut today will probably be 3-5 bales per acre stuff so won’t be too heavy and should wilt enough.

I’ve heavier meadow, maybe around 8 bales per acre, to cut for myself and another customer but we’ll be waiting for a lot better drying conditions before cutting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Surplus bales are very costly this year, too costly IMO

between the under-utilised N, cost of plastic, cost of diesel and the list opportunity to put it into meat or milk

we’ve driven up our sr for late April and may to reduce them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Still way too wet to mow anything here. No drying at all. Very foggy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Whatever way its worked make sure there is enough feed for a bad spring/ long winter. Early in the year yet so who knows how it pans out but next spring there may not be much spare feed to be found or bought if it comes bad

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Agree with this. However most lads will still make their usual big cut of steamy silage in late june and that will keep the cattle alive for the winter, they'll cut back on ration and that will affect growth rates massively. Will be lots of light older cattle about next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

No fertiliser out here yet. Growth this far north is slow but picking up. We'll be looking at late June or into July for cutting. Not seen any of the neighbours out spreading it either. Everyone seems to be overly cautious with the bags this year not wanting to get caught out.

Cattle still in here as we try to get a bank of grass ahead of them before turning out. Giving them lasts years bales as they'll not be in great shape next year. Might even be in until June at this rate. Don't remember them all being in this late in the season for a long time.

Bit of a disaster of a year ago far. The silage ground was due for a Reseed but that will be on hold until next year at earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I can never understand lads wanting a bank of grass ahead before letting cattle out .I have 40 acres 2 bags of urea spread so far all ground got a round of slurry 2000 gal/acre ,started letting cows out gradually from march 18th all out since april 1st .55 cows ,10 yierlings and 15 calves on 40 acres with surplus now showing in front of them with the spurt in growth these days .

Plug in the fence ,open the gate and let out some few anyway this evening before the year is gone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

I wasn't sleeping easy last week with the lack of grass growth but the fields have taken off now. Unless your fields are waterlogged get cattle out.

About the €1000, I only put out half the fertiliser I usually would because of the price of it. Local Co-Op says everyone is the same cutting back. Having a fodder supply isn't always about feeding your own animals. I don't know what price silage/hay will be next Spring but I'd like to know I have a surplus to help any neighbours in need. That scheme will help push a better second cut than usual.

Advertisement