Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aidan gileen-worst actor award...

Options
  • 08-05-2022 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

As the title may suggest, I'm not a fan of Aidan gileen!

He's had main roles in arguably 2 of the best shows in TV history (the wire and game of thrones). Also has some pretty decent movie roles.

I'm convinced he has dirt on someone to keep getting decent roles.... The most monotone actor I've ever seen!

Convince me otherwise.... Or don't, I just wanted to get this off my chest! 😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He was great as Charlie Haughey I thought but maybe that's just his demeanor anyway? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I prefer Aidan Gillen myself , way better actor.

Yeah..he's just so bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

In every single thing I've ever seen him in he's been as wooden as a plank.

Mystification to me how he's had such a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Advertisement

Odd thread. Overlooking the misspelled name, there are plenty of lesser actors out there getting regular work.

I'd have Aiden Gillen alongside Liam Neeson in terms of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

I've seen him in several things over the years and have always found him to be very limited or poor. Then I look at his CV and wonder am I simply not seeing something that casting directors are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

brilliant in queer as folk

*OP you have 24hr to edit your post, so spell his name correctly like a good lad😑

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I like Aiden. He's the actor I've seen the most in Dublin and seems like a decent guy. The thing is he looks llike a complete dickhead/shifty character, which is great if you're an actor, because it means your going to get roles for that alone. It's like stand up comedians that look/sound funny; that's half the battle for getting laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

He was brilliant in stuff earlier in his career but he seems to play the exact same character in everything now.

Even Game of Thrones - in earlier seasons he had fantastic performances, but in later seasons he was not only more limited, but his accent changed to that aforementioned, same-voice-he-does-in-everything now. It's really weird to compare earlier seasons with later ones now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Half decent as Tom Carcetti in The Wire but that was probably the writing / script. I could have looked good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Comes across as a complete bellend here. Was he acting or playing himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The creator of this meme agrees with you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Odd thread indeed, there's far worse actors than him, should we start a thread for every actor we dislike? place would be flooded fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭17togo

Dammit I missed the deadline to correct the spelling.... Oh well...I'll contact his people and inform them!

Even watching The Wire back in the day when I didn't know who he was, I wouldn't have thought he'd have gone on to bigger roles. Very wooden as a previous poster said.

He plays his characters in love/hate and kin the exact same way. Could be a spin off show.

He happened to pop up on the tv which lead me to posting here, that, and a few beers. 🤷‍♂️

Title of the over-dramatic thread aside, I don't doubt there are worse actors out there, but I definitely wouldn't rate him as one of irelands best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You wrote -

Title of the over-dramatic thread aside, I don't doubt there are worse actors out there, but I definitely wouldn't rate him as one of irelands best.

That's ok then they can't all be one of Ireland's best.

He is quietly confident and I've never seen him put a foot wrong.

A reliable actor who can successfully interpret a role will always have work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't know why the criticism (that sounds more like a grudge 😋), the fella's been treading the boards for decades, and if he was no good he would have been treading water instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭17togo

Well he did steal my school lunch once...... 🤔

But no, never met the guy, just my 'guy on the street' opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I thought he was very good as a serial killer stuck in a lift in Blackout, he played that role very well I thought.

I also enjoyed his fight scene with Jackie Chan from the early 2000s (though the movie itself was very poor imo).

He seems to be getting a lot of stick for Kin last year and I think there is some valid criticism there but I think the script let him down somewhat too

• Advertisement
Advertisement