Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Respect the Kicker

Options
  • 09-05-2022 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Why do rugby kickers need 'respect', i.e. silence, when kicking and the same doesn't need to be afforded to kickers in other codes of football? What makes Rugby different?

Post edited by connemara man on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

Basic manners? Mutual respect? Heavy concentration required.

A lot of pressure on one person, you'd appreciate it if your team were the ones taking the kick or if you yourself were taking the kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

What about soccer? Gaelic, hurling? or any other sport where a similar free kick or puck happens? Do they not need to concentrate?

And does the cheering crowd not put them off at other stages of the game? Why just for the kick?

Truth is, it is because rugby is an elitist sport and the level of notions in rugby circles runs very high.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

None of that makes it any different to a penalty in soccer, or a free in gaelic football, for eg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Rugby isnt elitist and its a tradition in rugby to be quiet during kicks. In some places. Rugby has always done this. Its different to other sports. Nothing wrong with that

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

It is elitist. It is a sport of wealth and privilege. That is not to say there are not people from all walks of life and who play and follow it, but on the whole, the tradition and culture around rugby is strongly connected with the wealthy and privileged.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

What about them? What relevance does that have to the question asked?

It's not an enforced rule, Nor is the kicker asking for it.

As for the third paragraph, It's not the truth, It's your opinion, It's also nonsensical IMO, And that's coming from someone who isn't a rugby supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It isnt. Go into any rugby club and you will see that what you say is false. You havent any experience of a rugby club if you believe this.

'What about them'? This is the question I am asking.

What is it about rugby that makes it different to other codes of football when a solo kick is being performed to attempt a score? Why do kickers in rugby need 'respect'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

In the Aviva on Saturday as is the case at most/all games with big screens the big screen doesn't show kicks at goal which is mad. Worse still is when the game is going to be decided on penalty kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

How does one manage to contradict one's entire argument by the third sentence?

"It's elitist but everyone can play..."

'Nor is the kicker asking for it' - It was emblazoned on the score board in the Aviva on the weekend. The wording was the same as the title of this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I doubt this conversation is going to go anywhere good, but it's worth pointing out that saying "rugby" requires silence for the kicker isn't accurate. Just look at any Glasgow Warriors game to see how they treat the away kicker.

Which is fine. Different clubs (and more generally, different sports) will have different traditions. I don't really see the big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Why do I get the impression this question wasn't asked in good faith?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Augme

The whole respect thing is just flawed logic. I do thing there is a strong superiority complex that exists when it comes to being silent for the kicker. The whole thing seems to be based on an out-dated and odd attitude to "respect" and is nearly always the first example used by rugby fans when talking about how much better behaves rugby players and fans are compared to other sports.

I do also often wonder why hookers aren't given the same "respect"!

Also the amount of times I've seen people shushing others in pub during kicks is astonishing. Absolutely baffling behaviour. The comedy value from it never stops either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I presume its something to do with the screens potentially being in the kicker's eyeline and therefore quite irritating/distracting. Though that wouldn't explain why the screens at the opposite end couldn't show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

And he keep fishing for the answer he so desperately wants to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Maybe but they have a flashing/scrolling neon sign stating "Respect The Kicker" under the big screen.

I already accepted the 'traditions' line, btw. That's fine, there's no logical reason to it, it's just because rugby fans like it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

And? Did the kicker ask it to be put on the screen?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is there any logical reason to anything in sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its so they can do the pose and get their photos in before the kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spindex

A teacher I once had summed it up best, Rugby is a thugs sport played and watched by gentlemen, Soccer is a gentlemens sport played and watched by thugs. Anyone involved in the GAA is just a neanderthal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its a tradition upheld by some rugby clubs and not others

Ireland, and Munster especially have a strong tradition of respecting the kicker by staying silent during PKs and Conversions

It's not because we're a great bunch of lads, in fact, if a kicker is not used to this, coming into a full Thomond park and kicking into a silent crowd can actually put some kickers off

Didn't work on Saturday, but there are some interviews from out halves who say it's un-nerving to take place kicks where the crowd are completely silent

"Fox who played 78 times for the All Blacks between 1984 and 1993, said the Thomond experience was unique.

“It’s quite an amazing experience. You feel the eyes of everybody in the stadium on you and to be honest, it’s a little unsettling. I never experienced anything like it,” Fox recalled."

The pubs is weird but no more weird than people going to pubs to cheer rather than stay at home.

Replicate the feeling of being there perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

In Ireland, it's traditionally viewed as respectful to be silent for the kicker. Some kickers seem to appreciate it, while others can find the silence oppressive (and there is an element of that I think in fans' minds also). I remember Jonny Sexton talking about missing a kick because he could hear a baby crying and it made him think of his son and took him out of the moment.

Rugby does like to view itself as sport that puts a greater emphasis on respect in general than other sports, see for example see how the referee is treated. You can view this as elitist and evidence of a superiority complex if you want, but I'd say that's your issue. Obviously rugby players and fans often fall short of these expectations anyway.

• Advertisement

Interesting... So it's a tactic to put the kicker off, then. And the 'respect' part is a ploy to make him/her think we're doing them a favour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement