Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employer made me take annual leave?

• 09-05-2022 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭

I have built up a large amount of days to take, my employer has previously advised me to book AL soon as they don't want to have to pick days for me to take. I have booked a few days off recently, but my employer picked a few days for me to take also as I have built up alot of days. I said that's fin because I wasn't expecting it, but I now feel I want to pick my own days, can I state this to my employer now after agreeing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Your employer can decide when annual leave may be taken, subject to a couple of minor conditions

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html#l442ae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,612 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They asked you to pick your days, or they would have to. I think that's fair warning. You didn't pick any, so they nominated some and you agreed.

If there is sufficient notice to the days I'm sure you can change them. But if they are close it's unlikely tbh. If should be threated the same as if you book them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Not exactly "minor" conditions.

• Take into account your family responsibilities, as well as the available opportunities for rest and recreation.
    • Discuss your annual leave with you (or your union) at least one month before you are to take the leave.

Did the employer discuss this at least one month prior?

However as you have built up a lot of annual leave and also the employer asked you to book times, I think you need to accept it or move it close to the dates they already picked for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

What does ‘large amount’ mean?

30 or 40 plus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d back the manager in this instance… you didn’t take your holidays…

in a previous job an individual used to do the same thing and it was for the most part use them or lose them so last 6 weeks of the holiday year was basically him booking periods of a week then 3 days then a week then 3 days… fûcking up everyone trying to get away for a week…

he wasn’t mad into traveling so he didn’t care, it was just taking holidays…. Head wrecking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Your employer has a responsibility to look after your well being - including that you're taking your holidays. Otherwise, you could for example take a case in a few years time saying that you were pressured into not taking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Employer also has a duty of care in some way, to ensure that you are getting enough rest days away from work. Ask if you can choose the other days to take off, but they will ensure that you take days off one way or another.

Advertisement