Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public or Civil Service?

Options
  • 06-05-2022 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Trying to decide which would be the better job path to go down. I’m currently employed in the Civil Service as a clerical officer. I like the work and mobility seems to be a huge plus along with the ability to WFH part time. I’m on a panel with a Local Authority for a grade higher and there seems to be more annual leave (27 days v 22 days) and more variety in the sections you could work in though I’m not sure how much I’d love the public facing roles (housing/motor tax/libraries).

Would anyone have some insight into which they found better? Is there one that has more job opportunities to progress up the ranks. There’s an EO competition due out some time this year would I be better staying in Civil Service to gain more exp? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Hello, I am in a similar position to you. I am a CO in the Civil Service and looking to progress. I personally think the Civil service has more secondment, transfer, internal, interdepartmental & education opportunities than local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 dat6

I’ve worked in both Civil and Public Service.

In the CS, there is a bigger picture element as you are likely working on national policy/delivery. Mobility is better and very efficient. Things are generally very standardised across depts.

In a LA, promotions follow very similar rules. In many cases, employees from other LAs can apply (similar to inter departmental). Pensions, flexitime etc will be exactly the same. Local working arrangements are common, what happens in one place will be different to another. It is much smaller, people will all know eachother. Flexitime, just like the CS, is in most offices but not all sections have this.

If the pay and annual leave perks are better, why not? Before accepting the role, ask to meet the new manager for a phone call or coffee.

If you do go up the ladder again, you can always apply for a role in the CS later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 helpagirlout22

I am in this very predicament, recently started as a co in the civil service but have also been placed high on a panel for LA. I think I'll be offered a position but don't know what to do. I've spoken to people know from both places and it's making me lean more towards LA but not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 VanBer

Apologies- I know this thread is quite a while back but since you have worked in both public and civil service, did you ever have any problems transferring your service from one to the other/ keeping your point on the pay scale? Specifically going from public service to civil service. Thank you for any information.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 la-di-da

Most organisations in the Public Sector will negotiate your starting point on the pay scale if you're taking up a similar role (e.g. CO to CO, EO to EO or CO, etc) as they're essentially private companies funded by the state and have their own HR dept, but I'm not sure the same applies to the CS when coming from PS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mr lebowski

I worked in both and the answer in my opinion is Public for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

How come? I hopefully have some post offers coming up in both.

The option for blended remote work is a big draw to civil service for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mr lebowski

One of the main reasons I preferred the Public service was not as much red tape in the work you do. Your are trusted to complete your work and once it's done correct that's all that matters. The civil service I find is more about covering yourself than completing the work for a lot of people. I just found the culture and whole working environment more enjoyable.I found the higher you go up in the public service the harder people work as it should be. The civil service I don't feel it is always like that.Also more A/L helps 4 or 5 extra days. The civil service you can finish a bit earlier though so that is a plus. It is only my opinion your experience may differ.

Advertisement