Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange New Worlds 1x01 - 'Strange New Worlds' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 05-05-2022 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Strange New Worlds 1x01 - 'Strange New Worlds' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Enjoyable enough, has promise, and the visuals are superb. After back to back Discovery and Picard I'm going to hold my praise a bit to see how it develops, but I do appreciate the return of the episodic approach. The preview at the end also looks like it could be a fun few episodes.

My one major concern is the focus they placed on Pikes trauma and Khans backstory. I know they do have to at least address his knowledge of the future, but I really hope there's not another season where the main characters spend large amounts of time dissecting their personal problems. Six seasons (to date) of that is more than enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Initial Impression

• EPIC - Fuckin savage - honestly, maybe im a bit of a nostalgia hound but - 'space, the final frontier...etc' - That had me shouting at the TV saying YES - WE ARE BACK!!!!!! Kirks line from the end of ST4 - 'my friends, we've come home' - immediately popped into my mind!!!!
    • Loved the general tone - it was proper star trek - I was nattering to a friend about the franchise, and i speculated that the only good thing to come out of Discovery, would be Strange New Worlds and Pike/Spock - i reiterate that now, we are looking VERY GOOD HERE IN MY HONEST OPINION!!!
    • As a pilot of an entirely new show, i found it very good - true to Trek in so many ways. General Order 1, to Prime Directive - but the whole Battle/Control etc etc - great bit of meandering to not get ratty with the PD
    • im repeating myself here but there is a kind of atmosphere to good trek - it is completely absent from Disco - but it is present here in spades!! This feels like a return to proper trek - and yea it might have ups and downs, but i connected with the show - and even the characters. Look forward to getting to know them as the show rolls on!

Very good points absolutely

• In a display of how much i loath discovery, when spock mentioned missing his sister i entirely forgot about Burnham, and began wondering what he was talking about - when the penny dropped RE Burnham - UGH - leave it out. Never mention her again.
    • I was hoping the whole knowledge of death thing would run its course in this opening episode - im hoping it has now - La'an's speech about surprise and death and the advantage of knowing your gonna die - maybe thats all Pike needed - here's hoping
    • i was concerned about the appearance of 'kirk', but its Samuel Kirk - his brother so - happy out - no canon issues
    • Good to be cautious - i watched Picard - less than enthusiastic about S2 but i still enjoyed the season as a whole and will comment later. But Picard is an order of magnitude better than Disco (lets be frank, Disco IMHO is awful) - if this Pilot is anything to go by, SNW could be a massive step toward the franchise we love

BRING IT!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm quite pleased with this as a first episode. It has a moral point, it has a solid sci-fi basis, and it even makes a valid point about both Star Trek and sci-fi in general, that all these massive space heroics don't go unnoticed by less advanced species.

It also has a sense of humour, something rare in Picard, and absent from Discovery.

Random thoughts:

I'm hoping that Pikes fate isn't going to be constantly hammered into us. It crops up repeatedly in the first episode, but hopefully that's just to establish the backstory.

They had Melanie Scrofano (from Letterkenny and Wynona Earp) as the captain Pike's involved with. Wonder if that means the character reappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I haven't watched it yet, but on your point about hoping Pike doesn't dwell on his foreknowledge of his future, while I agree I'd prefer them to show a lighter hand on the melodrama, Pike was shown to be somewhat of a deep thinker in the Original Star Trek Pilot "the cage" so it's not completely out of character if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well I loved that - a proper ST show, I'm excited for the rest of the season - please don't become Disco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭corkie

Strange but cool and enjoyable episode. Spocks romance at the start was off-putting and was wondering if I would see the episode through.

I normally share the below links in the Picard threads as well, warning has full published breakdown of the episode <<< Spoilers!

Edit: -

Something from that link

The shuttlecraft Stamets takes Pike up to the Enterprise

^^^ Interesting Easter egg reference to discovery?

asking how they got warp capabilility. Una replies that they had given it to them, during that final battle near Xahea, when Burnham opened the wormhole that sent her and the Discovery through to the future.

^^^ Other discovery references.

That breakdown, gives more detail than you might not have picked up watching?

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought that was a very good opening episode.

Music - good

Casting - mostly good but Nurse Capel may annoy me I think.

Plot - good and kinda original.

Dialogue - mixed

Enjoyed 'the last day' speech and more on Earth WW3, the slow progression of civil war to eugenics war until it was simply a world War

54 minutes of a plot with a beginning, middle and end. Nice.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

I'm a bit Star Trek'd out but yeah, it was good!

Don't think I'm as sold on Captain Dad as others but he'll do. Spock is surprisingly great! Ethan Peck has worked on it a bit since Disco I think. Very Spocky.

The episode dragged a bit in places, felt a bit rushed in others. Enterprise itself felt a bit lifeless or something?

Visuals are good but I think they're trading some realism for a magic shiny glow on everything and I'm not mad about it. Although I guess it keeps things feeling lighter.

Which they do! Good fun. Few chuckles even. Spock's "the Klingon moon-caves are known for two things..." bit being one of them.

Would have liked a bit more umph to the first episode maybe -- but then again, that didn't work out too well for the other series. And it was fine anyway. Bit of first contact. Bit preachy. Beam down, moralise, off you go. "Hit it" to theme tune. Job's a good 'un. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, "Samuel Kirk!" was a good gag too :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was fun.

At last the type of Star Trek we know and love.

I was kinda dissapoibted with the Engerprise do the sxale of it. They can do good scale. They have done in Discovery from what I remember if it. The JJ Films too had great scale. It should be easy here. Even TOS and Voyager altought Coyafer was not always so good but it could do good scale sometimes. The Enterprise should have looked massive over the city. I was disapointed with that.

I thought the part in the elevator involving Spock was funny but had to check it a 2nd time as missed it the first time.

Ye the kirk being Samual Kirk was very clever. Glad it was not James T Kirk.

I like that there looks like there's a proper warp core in the Enterprise.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I really enjoyed it. Was just generally a lot of fun and the bad bits were only small silly things you would get over like the too human Vulcan flirting.

At first I was annoyed the M'Benga was included as he hadn't joined the ship yet but he seems like a real good character and love new Chapel even if she is nothing like the old one.

Love that the address Pike's issues. That's an actual genuine crazy sci-fi trauma issue rather than forced bllix.

2 big clouds hang over the show in the shape of Singh and Kirk though. Already Spock has a load of secret family he never talks about and now we get a "Hey James Kirk is it, I knew your brother back in the day, and your nemesis grand daughter or whatever she is". I know it's gonna some how really mess things up down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I liked it. For the first time in a long, long, time it actually felt like I was watching an episode of Star Trek.

The characters. feel like they each have their own personality, and even though we are only 1 episode in, I already feel like I know them more than the blubbering, over emotional, Hi-Fiving, crew of Discovery. We got an nice introduction to each character, showing their own distinctive personalities.

First time in a while I'm cautiously optimistic about watching Star Trek, actually looking forward to seeing where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Yup liked that. Decent cast and ok dialogue.

Visually loved it especially that final star base.

Pike is a good lead and after the flatness although with great bits of Picard hope this builds well towards a good season.

Ms

I"Hey James Kirk is it, I knew your brother back in the day, and your nemesis grand daughter or whatever she is". I know it's gonna some how really mess things up down the road.

I have no idea what you are on about. I must have missed that bit.

I only seen Samual Kirk and heard no talking of James T Kirk in it at all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It was a conversation between Spock and Kirk that I made up.

I'm saying we now have a story where Spock's relationship to James Kirk starts with Spock being Sam Kirks boss.

If no more comes of it fine but if Spock and Sam become best friends it will annoy me because I hate when Star Trek gets too small universe. I'de rather characters were just characters and not all call backs or links or related to Spock some how.

Remember the speech in Disco season 3 where Spock talks about how "everything he is" is thanks to Burnham. I can see that kind of crap between Sam and Spock like it turns out Spock is Jim's friend because of some blood oath to Sam or some sht.

Ms

Awe OK. I get you now. Ye I too hope that does not happen. I do not remember that between Burnham and Spock totally forgotten about never happened in my mind.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Just done watching it there, dialogue was a bit perfunctory in parts, but overall I really enjoyed it. The cast all have great chemistry so far, and the plot was full of that standaloney goodness I was looking for.

Was dubious about La'an's character when they announced her, but I really like her in this episode, especially her snark at Spock

SPOCK: We are fortunate their physiology was compatible (with a neck pinch)

La'an: we were fortunate you finally got the hint.

One question I have is are we to presume nobody knows her genetically altered status as this is pre Khan being discovered by Kirk on Space seed. She seemed wary of her DNA being messed with by Chapel perhaps through fear of it being discovered.

It's only one ep in and I already feel like I have a better handle on the bridge crew names then I did Discoveries after 3 seasons.

@breezy1985

Remember the speech in Disco season 3 where Spock talks about how "everything he is" is thanks to Burnham.

Season 3, discovery had traveled to the future, so can't remember Spock actually saying that, thought it was Amanda?

Edit: - her mum, said it.

President T’Rina also wanted to know who Michael really was, and when she saw it, she decided she could trust her with the data after all, and passed it along via Gabrielle, adding that “she wondered how much of the man Spock became was a result of who his sister was.” Mother and daughter have a heart-to-heart about the coexistence of duty and joy, and by the time Gabrielle says, “You always know where to find me,” I’ve become but a melted blob of flesh and tears.

https://www.vulture.com/article/star-trek-discovery-recap-season-3-episode-7-unification-iii.html

So we don't even know if Amanda was saying that or just the President.

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Spock on a recording someone dug up of him for Burnham. It also had a bit with Nemoy from Unification in the scene.

I edit my post with a youtube clip, it was Gabrielle talking about what amanda said to her. Spock never actually said it.

@breezy1985

• Advertisement

Ah so it's Mama Burnham quoting Mama Spock.

Still sucked.

Re-watching now.

The shuttlecraft Stamets takes Pike up to the Enterprise

Takes a shuttle up to have a look over the ship, and then beams aboard!!??

Was that just for viewer benefit, or something routine after a refit?

Ya it's mad no one on set said "hang on a minute"

We got 3 ships name dropped. Stamets, Archer and King Jr. 2 or 3 are Easter eggs and practically every ship in Pic s2e1 was the same. It doesn't really work as an oh wow when every ship is a call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Just watched it now. Seems like the first episode of a Star Trek since Enterprise.

I hope it keeps on like this.

This rewriting of history for ENT still makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I liked it. PLEASE dont screw it up!

Yer wan the security officer is clearly modelled on Drummer from the Expanse ( which is a good thing )

Edited to add: IMHO Pike's trauma over his upcoming accident is probably not going to go away. He needs to have some kind of issue/weakness to make him a more interesting character. Without something like that he is almost verging on being smarmy.

Also, all their haircuts seem a bit over the top - whats up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

With the exception of the far too human-like date scene on Vulcan, I really enjoyed that actually. Visually it looks great but it has a generally likeable cast (though Chapel's zaniness may get grating very quickly - the new Tilly or Jurati?) and the tone was a lot more in keeping with classic Trek.

Good start anyway!

Looking a bit like Emma Stone is gonna make me forgive a lot with Chapel.

I'm more worried Uhura is gonna be the Wesley/Tilly

I really enjoyed Uhura scenes in this episode

The Kyliean escaping onto the elevator, The slow pan to reveal Uhura was in there with him, then her improvising by chatting about the latest sports results to keep him distracted from the fact he's in an elevator with an alien.

• Advertisement

Nothing in this episode gave me any bad vibes about Uhura. It's just she is the highly regarded cadet which never goes well (I also didn't like Nog)

Advertisement