Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

What is the point of the passport twitter account?...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

To provide information about the service, not to answer queries about specific applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'm in a similar boat. 5 May is my estimated date but I'm thinking realistically it will be around 20th May.

Does the application show witness contacted before print? Mine hasn't yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JennyCh

My timeline for 1st time passports for 2 children.

14/02/22 Applied online ( allowing 50 days, 10 days more than the recommended 40 days)

15/02/22 Documents posted

22/2/22 Alert you must submit your supporting documents

23/02/22 We have received your supporting documents estimated issue date 04/05/22 ( too late for our holiday)

09/03/22 Your application is being processed

We tried everything, politicians, telephoning the passport office every 2nd day, ministers office, radio stations, friends of friends who worked there and nothing worked.

Some of the passport office staff were lovely but some were horrible and they are not obliged to give their names so they can be as rude as they like.

First time applications are in a completely separate section and I can only think they were employed specifically because of their total lack of empathy and stubbornness.

We lost quite a lot of money on the missed holiday.

The passports are due today and still no sign, I am spending my morning trying to get through to the office (engaged all morning) to accelerate the process as it has gone past the issue date but don't hold out much hope, the whole thing is like a lottery with some people getting theirs early and others being left months.

It's hard to believe that this is supposed to be a public service that we are paying for through our taxes when we are treated with such contempt. Our ministers are only interested in getting jobs in Europe, they know they are gone after this term so don't care about the service they are supposed to be providing to the Irish people.

What an absolute dose. Have you had any luck today? If our tracker doesn't change by Friday flights have to be rescheduled at a huge cost. So dissapointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Giotto3

I don't think so. There are 5 categories on the dfa passport website and contacting your witness isn't one of them.

1. Application received: We have received your Passport Online application. We cannot process it until you send us, by post, the required supporting documents.
    2. Alert: We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
    3. Processing application: We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
    4. Processing application: Your application is being processed.
    5. Printing: Your Passport book is being printed. Any documents submitted will be returned separately.

But, as I said above, I'm not so sure that these 5 stages relate to anything happening in real life in the passport offices. Mine's been sitting at stage 4 for weeks now, maybe over a month and today, the estimated issue date, the wee progress tracker is full and it still says Processing application. I think the only way to know if your witness has been contacted is through your witness telling you.

You are not being treated with contempt. First time passports take ages as all further passport applications are based on the veracity of the first one. Expediting a first time passport very rarely happens.

There is no set time an application can take and there were a whole lot of bank holidays in March and April so 40 working days was 9 weeks rather than 8. If you had left 50 working days the passport would be due tomorrow so it looks like you only left 50 calendar days rather than working days so not as safe as you'd thought.

Anyone who books travel without having valid passports takes a big chance. There's staff who'll go out of their way to try to help, and there's staff who are so jaded from this happening over and over and over again that they won't. I spent years working closely with the passport office (until quite recently) and it really is the luck of the draw. In my experience it's the same in every department office, social welfare, health, revenue etc. It all depends on who you get when you call, email or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JennyCh

It's just either the woman or engaged all day today.

I really hope you are luckier than we were

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Finally got through on the chat today after trying it and the phone on and off for a few days. They were able to cancel and refund the application and I can reapply.

I was on the contact page refreshing from 9am this morning and got through around ten past.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

So I applied for my 2 children's passports to be renewed on February 1st..my friend who is a guard did all the stamping and signing..photos taken at a sam McCauley chemist

On 31st March I received one passport and one application sent back to say photos not suitable retook photos and sent application back in the envelope that came..

Tracker says its being processed and due march 31st... have been trying the phone number and cannot get through and also the Web chat keeps saying no one available

Do applications sent back go to the back of the queue or is there any shorter way..due to travel on 15th June..any tips to get in contact with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 you_talking_to_me

I used the urgent passport appointment option last week and found it seamless. It was a renewal for a child but all applications are accepted through this route which is back open in person on Mount Street.

Travel documents not needed, the service is available to all.

it’s more expensive but definitely worth it. I booked the appointment online paid the fee and was allocated a slot the following day. Lots of slots available and the place was very quiet. Actually arrived early and was seen straight away. In and out in 15 minutes once the paperwork was checked to be in order. Passport ready to be collected 4 days later from the same office.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bindyboo

Hi that is great to hear, but is that service available for First Time Applicants?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 House of love

I believe Ireland is the only country that takes 4 months to issue a FTP,that is not acceptable...in UK its 3 weeks, and they are a multimillion nation, so that is not the excuse at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I went to cork yesterday for a four day turnaround app.

Worth every penny,. I posted earlier in the thread about being so focused on babies first passport, that I missed the fact that my older child's passport was gonna be out of date 2 days before we travel.

His is a complex renewal due to sole gaurdianship affidavit bein needed.

There was 11 working days till our holiday and complex child renewals take longer so there was no way I was gonna apply online.

Got the train down to cork ( cheaper than petrol and parking) brought my son with me,even though he didn't need to be there, but we rarely spend any time together so it was nice day out to be honest. The appointment itself was seamless.

Too close to travel time to chance it so was just delighted to have everything in order , heading back friday to collect it.

As it happens I double checked out flight details on Ryanair and I had put in part of his surname in twice...it like i was trying not to take the poor youngfella on the holiday! Got it sorted out through the app. Looking forward now to our holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 you_talking_to_me

As far as I’m aware and from speaking to the counter staff this service is now open to all. First time and renewals young and old

it is expensive but it certainly takes a lot of the hassle out of the process

I will definitely call them ASAP in the morning so, that could be the answer to my situation. Thanks a mil

Our passport is a whole lot more secure than a UK passport. If it wasn't for so many UK passport holders applying for (first time) Irish passports our delays wouldn't be half what they are.

The above is yesterday's Passport Tracker - yesterday being the 'estimated issue date.' Below is today's Passport Tracker - the progress bar has just been reversed a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭baldbear

Have you called them. My date is today for issue. Is it pointless calling I wonder .

Just called there in regards to going to the office for a first time application, they said they don't do that. It would just be in emergency cases and renewals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭TheRona

I wonder what sort of numbers they're processing. I reckon they should be giving priority to applications within Ireland ahead of overseas applications.

I recently got NZ Citizenship and first time passports for my kids, and that was done in 7 weeks. I thought it was a long time, but it's very quick compared to what people seem to be experiencing here.

No, the one time I called them it took ages before I got through. And it's not as if I'm about to fly in the next few weeks. Up until the end of June I can cancel my holiday bookings (for September) and get refunds of deposits paid, apart from the Easyjet flights which at least I could move to different dates, though at a cost. If the passport hasn't come by the end of June I'll have to cancel the booked accommodation as it's too risky to commit money without the certainty of having the passport. There's enough uncertainty as it is what with changing Covid rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

That's my current status..I cannot get through on the phone. At all

I got onto the chat at 9am and waited over an hour and then was cut off. Refreshing since and not getting back on.

What an absolute disgrace of a system.

It sounds a bit like our GP system. You can phone for an appointment between 8.30 and 10 am but you might ring from 8.30 and get an engaged tone until 9.15 and then when you think you've got through, and you hear the whole spiel about press 1 for prescriptions etc and you press the number you need all you get is an engaged tone......which is never going to be answered. I don't see why the passport people can't be more up front about the difficulties, instead of leading us up the garden path with "40 working days for first time applications" etc.

And that's our flights rescheduled with a huge cost. God knows when the bloody thing will arrive.

Shambles.

That's really disappointing - I was looking back at your messages and they've had your supporting documents for 2 and a half months! They've had ours for 7 weeks and our estimated issue date was also the 4th May. So, going by your experience I'm not holding out much hope of getting anything any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 first time applicant

I applied for my child's first passport back in February and it went through all the stages. Was due to be ready yesterday but got an email to tell me there was a problem. The dates signed didn't match. Stupid error on my behalf. Thought I had checked it religiously before sending. But I wonder how this wasn't spotted till the day it was due and not at the stage of verifying document. I need to do a resubmission with the supporting documents but they have all my supporting documents. Do I have to wait the 8/9 weeks again. Starting to panic now. Due to go on holidays in 6 weeks. Thanks hopefully someone can help me if they had same issue

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

Having similar issues to many on this thread. Disgraceful service and impossible to get through. Submitted passport apps for myself and my son 21st Feb. It’s his first passport and mine is a renewal. On the tracker our estimated date was 19th April for both. Could not get through to speak with anyone after trying repeatedly for the past two weeks so in desperation contacted our TD. In fairness to TD, they followed up with passport office and I received a call today to tell me my sons application was invalid as his birth certificate was not included…except it was! I put everything into the envelope myself and double checked all with lady at post office. The passport office have managed to lose his original birth certificate and we only found out today due to our TDS intervention. We are due to travel at the start of June which is looking unlikely at this stage. The passport office is now going to open an investigation into how they lost his birth certificate and cannot issue his passport until they find it. I offered to send or email in copy but this was turned down. So frustrating, we are completely at their mercy and haven’t a clue how long investigation will take or when passport will be issued. The whole system is a lottery manned by staff who just don’t seem to care about the impact their inaction is having on people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Would you not just get another copy of the birth cert for €20 from the records office and submit that? Save all the messing about and time looking for the other one if you're under pressure.

Advertisement