Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are so many people trying to get into the UK?

• 06-05-2022 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm missing what is written between the lines on the Channel crossings and migrant crisis in the UK. I guess that some of the people crossing in boats are trying to reach family or a community already in the UK.

Outside of those reasons what I don't get get is why they want to get into the UK?

Is it harder to be deported from there? Easier to work illegally because they don't have National Identity cards like some other European countries? The NHS?

Why do they not settle in France or any other country with a good standard of living?

I'm not a xenophobe, I welcome anyone anyone who wants to travel to a new country and particularly people who have been forced to leave for war or climate change or whatever other terrible situation.

I'm just genuinely at a loss to understand why so many people are risking sailing to the UK.

Cui bono?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Good welfare. And relatively high minimum wage (ignoring cost of living).

Its all about remittances, sending money back to Africa.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Because, (paraphrasing from "Douglas Murray's "Strange Death of Europe") first that the welfare system takes care of migrants when they arrive which means a much higher standard of living than their home countries and second there is a very good chance that the migrants will be granted leave to stay due to the lax/liberal migration policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

are you for real???? have you ever actually spoken to folks in these type of situations, i.e. on welfare and on min wage, and how the hell do you actually ignore the cost of living?

id say theres a better chance these folks are coming from hell holes, whos countries have been heavily indebted by western nations, including the uk itself, and have been torn to pieces by the same countries for their natural resources, just maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ability to speak English, thanks to the UK's historic colonial adventures, existing communities and relatives living in uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Civil liberties in the UK (and Ireland) mean you aren't required to carry identification. Perhaps that is also a factor?

London would be like NY though too I'd imagine in the sense of being a magnet for money and opportunities

• Advertisement

Maybe it's the food and culture?

Curried chips before heading out for an ould hooligan brawl against lads who decided to wear different colour soccerball jerseys

Its easier to work undocumented in the uk,than most other countries

Many small to middle sized businesses still pay in cash there....its not for the fortune people will earn,nor the 50 pound a week dole🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I have the impression that while the standard of living might not be high in the UK you might have a better chance of employment because of the liberal labour market there. Lots of the migrants I see in France and Italy are stuck working in blackmarket jobs not in the regular economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭timmyntc

yawn, the old west bad east good type argument.

Most migrants live as frugally as possible, often in squats or heavily overcrowded accommodation to save money. Same in this country. And remittances are a very real and important factor, look at how much money leaves the UK every year in remittances, its astronomical.

1% of Nigerian GDP is remittances from the UK, about 2.9 billion pounds per annum. Total remittances from the UK are closer to 7.7billion, though thats only the recorded. World bank suggests the true figure is closer to 23billion per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Advertisement

Joining existing family/communities, familiar language, general lax enforcement of immigration or labour laws.

The UK talks a lot about tough laws but then doesn't put the various supporting elements in place to enforce them like ID requirements or inspections.

I'm sure someone will find the numbers but most do stay in continental Europe, people crossing the channel are just very visible.

God forbid that these nations be judged for how they got their independence, or what they did after independence. Nah.. let's not consider the massacre of the educated, or the embracing of communist ideologies, the genocides, or the massive amounts of corruption, or even the reintroduction of slavery. Nah.. it's all the fault of western nations who drained the nation 50-70 years ago. Everything that has ever happened to them, once they regained control over their own fates, is the fault of western nations. Completely and utterly.

OP, Perception is king. The UK has a reputation, and while many of us might be clued into recent events, many in Africa won't be. They'll be going by the reputation that they grew up with. They'll have been told by others, already in the UK or with a vested interest in sending people there, that the UK is the best destination for them. And they'll go because their own countries are shitholes. Unstable shitholes where governments change regularly through violence, the police are corrupt beyond belief, disease is rampant, as is human trafficking, along with drug abuse, and incredibly brutal violence being commonplace.

There was a stat a few years ago that if you divided the remittances from Ireland to Nigeria by the entire number of Nigerian men, women and children living here, it was something mad like 30k each was being remitted.

Now how they calculate that stat, I don;t know. It is one of those that appears unbelievable but was actually based off official figures. I don't know whether the number was being inflated by remittances transiting through on their way from somewhere else. It wasn't broken down

Edit: This link gives the remittances from Ireland to Nigeria in 2017 as being $473m

And wikipedia says 17,642 Nigerians living in Ireland in 2011

473m / 17642 gives $26,811 so not quite the $30k I remembered above

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You can't fart sideways in most of continental Europe without national identification. Renting, accessing all sorts of services is much more difficult - even down to buying an intercity bus or train ticket.

Much easier to dissapear into the grey economy in the UK (and Ireland for that matter) than in the rest of the EU.

The United Kingdom has submitted to Islam(unofficially)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭paul71

The answer to the question is very simple and it is this. The "fact" implied in the question is simply untrue.

The UK likes to pretend it is awash with Asylum applications and illegal immigration but it is not. The perception is a false one created to serve a particular political agenda. Asylum applications in the UK are 3 times lower than the average for the EU in the period from 2015 to 2021, or 77 per 100,000 population vs 210 per 100,000 in the EU.

France is 3 times higher than The UK, Germany is 5 times higher. A more correct question would be why do so many people try to stay in the EU and avoid moving onto the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭growleaves

Britain has been a wealthy country for centuries. Irish people are often trying to get there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Dante

There are a lot more "off-books" jobs for migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If you are from outside the EU living legally in Ireland , I think you have to carry your GNIB,IRB card with you all the time.

Yes but the point is that there is no obligation for you or I to carry ID here or in the UK. If an illegal is stopped, they can just say they are a citizen - i.e. they don't need to produce the document. And they also don't need to produce it for routine tasks like a continental person would do automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Can see the the people living in the UK being happy enough about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yep , however I think if Gardai suspect you are illegal, they can ask about GNIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

If they can afford to send that much cash abroad every year why are so many Nigerians here given rent allowance

I didn't produce the figures. Nor am I interpreting them. I'm just stating them as I remember hearing them before and thinking they sounded a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Because it's one of the best countries in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

According to this around 40% of Nigerians are unemployed in 2018 and $539 million(dollars) was sent to Nigeria. That figure was given to us by the World Bank but CSO figures say it was only 17 million which seems far more realistic. Link to these figures underneath. World bank is off its head.

https://www.thejournal.ie/noel-grealish-money-sent-from-ireland-to-nigeria-4889805-Nov2019/

Well the World Bank Figures are 500 million and The journal.ie figures are 17 million. That's all we can say that we know.

The World Bank may not have access to the wealth of statistical data, or the same number of economists on its payoll as the journal (even if the number does seem mad high)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Some interesting points there, thanks,

ID cards must be a big factor, I remember Blair backing down bringing them in over civil liberties concerns now.

Perception is probably the biggest thing for me too, we're not getting the Continental news so we don't know what the migrant situation is like in Italy etc.

What I don't get is why The Guardian and others don't point out that the figures aren't high and move the narrative on from them attacking the Home Office policies and anti-immigrant politicians? Maybe there is just more column inches (or modern equivalent) in that?

Cui bono?

Perception is probably the biggest thing for me too, we're not getting the Continental news so we don't know what the migrant situation is like in Italy etc.

Everything has become overshadowed by Ukraine. It's really that simple. Most English people (as they have investments in Italy/France) know that the refugee issues have not disappeared, but the media have a rather.. disgusting glee in reporting everything they can over Ukraine.

You should take a look at the range of investments by English people in Italy over the last decade, with it becoming a more attractive point of interest than Spain or the islands. They'd be very aware of all the shite going on there.

What I don't get is why The Guardian and others don't point out that the figures aren't high and move the narrative on from them attacking the Home Office policies and anti-immigrant politicians? Maybe there is just more column inches (or modern equivalent) in that?

Look at both Ireland and the UK in terms of NGOs. There's a massive industry involved, all supported by the State, but with private contributions too. The NGO's rely on these issues being front and centre and they're not going to allow truth get in he way. The media have shown themselves very susceptible to donations towards articles that present a particular worldview.

The days of honest reporting by the media are long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Because even working in a low paid job in the UK is way better than working where they come from , you could ask the question why do Mexicans risk their lives to go to the USA? No one goes from a rich country to a poor 3rd world country. It only go's one way. UK is no longer in the EU, they don't have to pay welfare to EU immigrants, that's the whole point of brexit.

Advertisement