Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any recommendations on moving options?

• 04-05-2022 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

We've got a few days between moving out of a 3 bed and moving in to the new house. Not sure whether to DIY it, rent a van and storage or pay for a full removal service. Hoping someone might have some experience to share and typical costs involved?

I would be very grateful for DM of any recommendations!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

We got a storage and the company we went with makes you take a full month minimum up, but then let you do part months after that if needed. The storage companies are quite competitive so just register your interest online and they'll call quick enough.

We put the stuff in storage in bits as we were expecting to have a gap in-between, so different from your situation.

If you have time between moving out and in you may have to go that route, or rent a van for a week.

You could still hire the removal people to fill your van if you was so inclined, they charge by the hour, or at least ours did 80 Euros an hour.

The storage places range from 140 a month to 200 a month with typically the first month half price, depending on your location and size of space needed.

I don't know how much van rental is. Good luck with the move :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The absolute nightmare of it - you are lucky to have a few days.

Due to messing by our bank, we had a removal company booked for moving day, who ended up taking almost all of our stuff and storing it for us.We actually moved 5 days later (we were supposed to buy and sell on the same day), as the money didn't come through on the day we had the company booked for, and it was too late to cancel them.

We did DIY for the remaining bits.Two SUVs, a small van and trailer and a large Hertz rental van.The rental wasn't expensive maybe 90eur for 2 days?It was a kind of transit van now, as opposed to a large removal van.The one thing I will say is you have more stuff than you realise.

Our removal company cost about 2k, including supply of boxes for us to pack.Part of the reason for that cost was the same-day move, they threw men at it to make it happen.Storage with them cost very little, about 20eur a day.Their re-visit cost another 1500, which was reimbursed by our broker.They were excellent and thank god we had them to be fair.I'd shop around though.We rented a storage container about 3 years ago locally and it was 150eur for a month (there were none available this time).If that gives you an idea of some prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We hired a moving co and I would not do that again. What they said would take 3 hours actually took 11 and involved me doing a full days work lifting boxes aswell. In addition they kept looking for more money as it was taking so long. Head wrecking. I would get a storage unit and start putting stuff there. You can then do a couple of loads a day bringing stuff back in a coordinated manner rather than having stacks of boxes everywhere like I had

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

My parents done a cross country move last year and used a moving company. It was 4k in total for 4 vans and 4 men. They arrived say the Tuesday with all packing materials and packed everything for them loaded vans it was all done in about five hours. The next morning they were at the new house (4hr drive away) at 10am and were gone by 1pm.

We are in process of moving ourselves and plan on just doing it DIY enterprise and vanrentals.ie both offer great rates for a few days. Lucky to have access to a storage shed to use in meantime so all non essentials being moved into there gradually as moving date gets closer. Hoping to be able to start moving things into garage at new place a bit earlier so we won't have massive amount to move out on day.

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do you mean that you will have a few days where you will have access to both houses?

If so, renting a van and DIYing it will be the most cost effective. It's hard work though, you'll be busted at the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

This is true.It is absolutely exhausting.But I think DIY would be your best option for your situation.Make sure you have several spare pairs of hands for big stuff like beds, wardrobes, drawers etc, and a trolley/handtruck to help with washing machine/dishwasher etc.

One of the main reasons we went with the moving company was that it was all to happen in one day (moving out and moving in) and with 3 kids in tow and no storage we hadn't a hope of making that happen ourselves.In addition, we have a piano - we weren't going to try lifting that ourselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I thought he meant that he would not have access to either house for that few days

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bawnBeag

No unfortunately, we move out a few days before we move in.

Thanks everyone for the pointers and experiences. Had two movers assess today so hopefully will have some quotes to compare against a DIY.

For the DIY, from what I've researched about €500 for box truck for a week, €300 for 150sq ft storage for a month, €150 for boxes and packaging so around a grand. I like the idea of DIY as I can start moving a few days before. If quotes for movers are more than double my DIY estimate, I think that will be the decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Brashy

Not sure if you've already moved or not, but I can recommend https://threemovers.com/ as a good option if you need someone to do a full removal. They're based out of the US but they work internationally and also have storage. Been a while since we've used them but they did a fine job and would use them again.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KatrinaHancock

Thanks for your advice, guys. Actually, we’re about to move too, so we’re currently looking for storage to keep our things. I’d highly appreciate any of your advice. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pipermania

Hello there. We’ve recently moved to a new house. Though we expected it to be a hard, long, and exhausting journey, it all went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Last year we moved from a 3 bed house Dublin to a 3 bed house 20km away and used a removals company. So glad we did. The moving day changed 4 times and had to phone up the removals company each time the day before and they were fine with it. Said it happens all the time and they were used to it.

We got 5 quotes. Some just asked for a video of me going around the rooms and saying what was to be moved and they gave the estimate. Others sent someone out to go through the rooms and estimate.

The quotes ranged from €900 to €3500. We went for the €900 one as there seemed to be less sales patter from the person i was talking to. Nothing I hate more than a salesperson trying to justify a high price badly. They sent out 3 and 1 truck and loaded that. As they were finishing another truck arrived with the driver and they loaded that too. We did the move in one day. After the trucks were loaded in the morning we had to wait then for about 3 hours for the solicitors to finish up what they were doing and us to get the keys. Then I went to get the keys and they met us at the new house and they put everything exactly where we asked them to. They even asked if there was anything in the wrong room they wanted moved again before they left.

So glad we got others to do it for us or we would have been even more stressed.

If I was doing it again (perish the thought) i would defo use removal company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lumengg

Mainly because we hired a moving service (I guess it was this one https://sekamoving.com/storage-space/). Tbh, guys, I’ve never packed SO many things. I didn’t even know we had so many! Anyway, we’re glad that we’ve finally moved. Though it took us a long time to prepare, make up our minds and pack the stuff, we’re very happy! So, guys, let me know if I can help you move. I’d be very happy to help you.

old thread alert

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Baras

The movers are the best

hi, I ended up renting a truck and storage less than a grand in total BUT IT'S HARD WORK!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've used www.vantasks.ie about 5 or so times now and they've always been great. Always recommend them when I see these threads.

It's all time based, so they start a timer when they arrive at your door, you load everything up and then they stop the timer when everything is unloaded.

Have an option of trucks with tail lifts and everything. I've actually had them move arcade machines for me in the past so they can do awkward enough stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Dolgoipa

I'd love to know more about the products and services you offer, but I get why you don't want to go too hard on the advertising in this forum post.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wibago

Any recommended auto transport? How was your experience? Seems like most of the Vipers are 1000 or more miles away. I can fly anywhere but driving it back for more than 1000 miles is not something I'm looking forward to. I did that already last March from Frisco, Texas to Sacramento, CA in an H2.

Advertisement