Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what looks like ABS failure in 2017 Nissan Leaf

Options
  • 10-04-2022 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭

Jumped into car last evening, rushing out to fill a prescription for my partner who was just home from hospital.

Paid no attention to what was on the dash, went around first bend in the estate and pressed the brake: nothing, some grinding and other stuff but as there were kids playing on the road was more focussed on looking at how I could avoid them .

Turned it off and restarted: red and orange brake warning icons showing on the dash as well as red triangle.

Nursed it back to the house

Reading on-line, could be 12v battery issue, car was perfect an hour earlier. weather has been cold

Did note earlier that temp gauge was off, showing much lower than the ID3 parked beside it.

Any thoughts?

Update, once it got bright I checked the car, started as normal, connected up the battery charger, showing 13.5V so all looks okay, temp gauge looks okay as well.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

connected up the battery charger, showing 13.5V so all looks okay,

was the car on or off when you checked the voltage? If it was on or just turned off, it doesn’t count as it would have been charging it. You need to leave it turned off for a few hours and then stick a meter on it to get true reading.

what are the state of the lights now? Has it reset and brakes are working again?

do you have LeafSpy? That will tell you what the error codes were when the lights came on which is really what you need to do.

Dealer visit required either way. You can’t risk brake failure.

That is very concerning if there isn’t a brake back-up system working when voltage drops. I’m sure the intrinsic design doesn’t depend on sufficient voltage for the brakes to work (even at lesser capacity) 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

That happened to us a while ago, scary stuff and my wife had to use the manual parking brake to get the car home.

ABS control unit failed. Nissan said it was repairable but our indy mechanic felt safer with a total replacement, so not covered by Nissan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭blackbox

This doesn't sound like abs failure.

If the abs fails you still should have normal braking, but without skid prevention. This is the same whether you have an electric or combustion engine car.

An electric car won't have a vacuum servo to assist braking, so must use electrical assistance. However even if that fails you should still have braking, albeit requiring much more force on the pedal.

This is still not consistent with getting a grinding noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, car was off, I just drove it off the road into driveway, maybe 30 seconds, anyway will try the multimeter and the leafpro, haven't used it since I got the ID3 as no longer edge of the seat stuff re battery anxiety in the Leaf

Yes car is normal now, have driven it around town several times.

Thanks, I had the pedal all the way down and there was no stopping impact, grinding and pulsating vibration through the pedal.

I had to turn it off to stop it

Thanks, whats the warranty period for this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Maybe worth checking the brake fluid level? And seeing if the car has done a wee on the driveway, so you know you aren't leaking fluids?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Did check the road alright, will look at it now

Since this😎

I do enough leaking at times for the two of us😂

Less than a month later, repeat performance this morning with herself driving..

I charged the 12V battery for a few hours and it fixed it self.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

Time for a new battery by the sound of it.

anyone in particular, are they special to EVs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

Ours was Renault branded on both LEAFs. Any battery will do, just a normal sealed lead-acid battery. Nothing EV specific about it as such, just pick one with about the same capacity and terminal configuration.

When a lead-acid battery once goes flat and stays low for a while it will suffer damage and it will never be good again. That's why it's always a good idea to replace one after first signs of trouble as when battery bites you once it will do it again soon.

Thanks, yep is a Renault, have a new one in the car for fitting later

About to change the battery in the Leaf, anything special about doing it in a BEV?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fael

Advertisement