Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with Prius Luggage space question

Options
  • 02-05-2022 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

can anyone with a Prius let me know if you can get 2 full size suitcases and 2 carry-on cases in the boot?

Looking to rent a car in the US, and the Prius is coming it way cheaper than a Camry.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Years ago my wife and I got a Prius taxi in the US. I'm pretty sure we had either 2 big suitcases or one big and 2 carry on

They fitted in the boot fairly well, but I think 2 and 2 might be pushing it, someone might end up with a suitcase on their lap

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Boot on a Prius is average for the size of the car. Battery is under the floor so the boot isn't that deep. It's all relative obviously, because only you know the size of your suitcases!

Actually I just remembered, it was 2 checked suitcases and 2 backpacks. My suitcase was a bit smaller so I think my wife's suitcase went in flat with both backpacks on top and mine was on its side besides it

As sumo12 said, the boot isn't very deep but it is long and reasonably wide

I suppose one experiment would be to flag down a Prius taxi on the way to the airport and if you can't fit the suitcases in that then you'll know while there's time to chuck a few changes of clothes back in your house 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

Trying to think back to our Prius days, but I think we got a lot of stuff in boot at times. Isn't there a tray you can take out under shelf to make boot bigger but loose the easy loading? Perhaps I am mixing up cars. But would be awkward to store in car if rental car.

Why are you only limiting your choice to Prius or Camry? Thought the Carmy if Hybrid also has a smallish boot. I am sure there are better choices if you need space and boot capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Thanks...

Prices for rental cars have gone crazy recently. Looking at €1,200 for 10 days for a Toyota Camry. The Prius is about 300 cheaper.

Ironically a full-size pickup is cheaper again but I need the luggage to be covered.

• Advertisement

A pickup being cheaper than a hybrid is the most American thing I've heard this month 😂

The issue with rentals is that you're renting a Prius or "equivalent" car. When you arrive you'll get whatever they have available, so whether the Prius fits your luggage or not could be a moot point

Personally I'd just go with a car that there's no question about it carrying everything, so if I get swapped then at least I'm confident I won't be short of space

Regarding rental prices, haven't looked recently but one thing America is great for is discounts. Look around for any partner schemes from your airline, hotel, credit card company or employer. The big rental companies are good but also expensive, so shopping around is definitely worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

For reference, we recently got a taxi in Washington to take us to the airport. What showed up was a Prius and it fit 3 large suitcases (solid bodies with wheels) in the boot. We also had a carry-on rolling suitcase but that went in the front passenger footwell. So yes, you should be able to fit your luggage in a Prius but as others have said, you may not get one at the rental place. We were the only 2 passengers in that Prius as well so may be something else to bear in mind.

incidentally, when we arrived in Dublin airport, 3 taxis refused to take us with our luggage because they "wouldn't fit". A Skoda Superb Estate, Toyota Rav 4 and a Skoda Octavia estate and I know they have bigger boots than a Prius! Needless to say, I was not impressed with any of those drivers but that is a discussion for another day. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭electricus

It's a few years back but I brought 2 large suitcases and a couple of cabin sized cases to the airport in my Prius. We definetly fitted the 2 big ones + 1 small in the boot, but can't remember if we needed to put the other cabin bag on the floor between rear passengers as the sloping glass boot lid makes it shallow near the back.

The boot section of this video might help:

edit: our large suitcases may not be same as yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Thats the old model, surely the rental is the newer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭electricus

The video is the current Prius shape but maybe not the latest facelift version.

Thanks all.

I've knocked the Prius ion the head as they list an equivalent car as a Chevy Bolt....a pure electric won't work for a family on holidays in California.

Pretty sure California would be one of the easiest states, but fair enough it would involve a lot of planning ahead for an EV

Advertisement