Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Capacity - giant escape 2

Options
  • 03-05-2022 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭

hi All,

I started cycling to work in the last 6 months and really enjoying it. I want to invest in a half decent hybrid / tourer that has plenty of weight capacity as im not the smallest and also have to carry laptop & clothes etc.

Ive spotted a tourer on Decathlon with 170kg limit which is way more than enough - stock is questionable.

Also found the Giant Escape 2 which i think also has more than enough in terms of weight capacity, however there is 2 weight limits that i dont fully understand - both are more than enough i might add. Any idea why 2 weight categories - i would have through touring / trekking would have had lower limits due to unsure ground conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Probably accounting for panniers as opposed to directly on the frame or on the rider’s back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭cletus

How would that make any difference, though. The panniers are attached to the frame, so either the bike can carry the weight, or it can't, no?

Hence my confusion.

I dropped Giant a mail but who knows if I'll hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Load being spread out over the rear wheel, would be the only reason why I could think of an almost 10kg difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This, the pics show connection points for front and rear panniers, so presumably this is the thinking, different stresses on different points of the frame. Still weirdly written but my guess is that higher weight for luggage refers to it being loaded directly on the front fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

See the last bit of text on that info sheet about wider tyres.

I'd say the lower max weight is for the stock tyres. If you want to go to the "treking" weights they recommend wider tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

Bear in mind wheels will also have a weight limit so you may need to look at changing the wheels to a more suitable wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think most wheels have a limit of 109kg, in my experience cheaper wheels from Mavic and Shimano can't handle that weight, two Campagnolo wheelsets held up fine for me over the years.

Giant came back to me with the following, doesnt answer the 2 weight query though:

In regards to the weight limit, the Giant Escape 2 Disc has the following,

Rider Weight Limit: 136Kg

Luggage Weight Limit: 14Kg

• Advertisement
Advertisement