Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would fertiliser keep?

Options
  • 02-05-2022 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Turned out last year that I was very much under stocked compared to a normal year so had around 5 tonne of 18:6:12 bought but unused going into September.Co-op I deal with wanted to just give me a credit note to it’s value for this year but luckily considering how prices increased I got it delivered instead last September to the Shed.

Am understocked this year too so will get away with putting out a good bit less than normal.

Just wondering would that fertiliser keep fine in bags in dry shed for use in Spring of 2023 instead?

Can’t see why they wouldn’t but said I would ask anyway.

Thanks for any replies.

They are not in direct sunlight in the shed if that makes any difference.Would probably save around 2 tonne of it for Spring 2023.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I can only speak of smaller horticultural amounts of fertiliser and I wouldn't think twice about it going off, with the caveat that its kept dry.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

I don't think it will keep so I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands for what you paid for it. Couldn't be fairer than that could I😉

I would think it'll be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I had some 18-6-12 here since last year. Under roof and sealed as normal. I was surprised how hard it went. I had to break it all up but it wasn't that hard. A shovel is a great job to break it up in the hopper too. Let it out slow from the big bags helps too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I know you've a hoist Patsy.

But also if using a loader it's no harm dropping the bag a few thumps on the ground before you open into the spreader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Thanks. I can still do that, as I use a loader to move the bags.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

So the consensus is that my 18:6:12 will be fine to keep for putting out in Spring 23’?

It is in the small bags on pallets in the shed. Still has original cover over each two tonne iykwim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I think you'd find a good few here would give you what you paid for it to take it off your hands in Spring 23. I think that says all that needs saying.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Just beat with a sledge next year or if you know someone with a grain bucket (or large capacity) to unload it into pre loading next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Fert with sulphur is more prone to dampness problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You have 5000kg of stores in weight and it will be the best stock you ever had, even to sell out of the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

It should be fine to keep till then, as mentioned already you might have to break it up when putting it in the Spreader.

Post edited by Bleating Lamb on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I spread 2 big bags of 10 10 20 off a pallet this evening that was bought in March or April last year. I used 1 bag on reseeding late April last year. The other 3 were outside till October. Put in an open shed just to keep dry. They were hard alright but a few drops on the ground and a few slaps of the shovel while emptying got them going. Most lumps you could crush with your hand. Spread every last grain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

I came across five small bags of 18-6-12 in the corner of an old out house under some silage wraps this week, been there for fifteen years at least, it’s all solid as a rock. I’ll have to take a pick to them.

Advertisement