Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Vetting - what is involved?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lauras5839

I'm not sure, but I know that the Bureau doesn't 'fail' or 'pass' anyone, they just report back what's found as per the provisions of the Act they're bound by. So the choice to employ or not lies with the organisation in question, so the local school can employ Johnny the axe murderer if they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donnie2020

And Lauras5839 do you if can get a pulse type report on myself or anything else other than the vetting?? Something a bit stronger than just an over the counter garda's word. I;m sure all is ok

I will admit I was close to the dangerzone when I was younger so I wouldn't mind checking what remains if anything on the systems about me

I might never be with an organisation whereby vetting will be needed so like I say that's not really the purpose to why I'm looking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lauras5839

I can't claim to know everything about this but the closest you'll get is a data access request under GDPR legislation, it is not the same as Garda Vetting and I'm not sure exactly what kind of information they will end up supplying you but for an individual looking to see what information is held on them by the Gardaí it's as close as you can get. Here's the link to information/how to request it on the Garda website: https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/data-protection-foi-police-certificates/an-garda-siochana-and-data-protection.html#:~:text=Data%20Access%20Request,held%20by%20An%20Garda%20S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Donnie2020

Thanks Laura.

Yeah it's basically another rehash of "word of mouth" from a garda.

Just nothing more than "if we were looking for you we'd be after you"

Thanks anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

You cannot fail garda vetting. Garda vetting is merely a disclosure of information to a relevant organisation; the relevant organisation must decide how to use this information in making a decision about recruiting a person or not but this will be in line with its own policies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The guards only care about their bit of the puzzle. What happens with your time spent abroad will depend the requirements of the potential employer. The requirements to work with kids and sick people are different to those required by financial institutions etc... It also depend on the countries you lived in, getting FBI or RCMP certs is easy as is getting them for most European countries, beyond that it can be difficult and the employer might not care etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭HazeDoll

When did they start asking for certificates from abroad? I've been vetted twice, once in the last three years, and this never came up. I work in a secondary school, if that's relevant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

This is a requirement by employers, not the Vetting Act.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is, it depends on your employer and the nature of the work.

Advertisement