Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ozark [Netflix] (***SPOILERS***)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It’s very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭jj880

Just starting the last episode here now. Hope the ending is as good as the build up as its been excellent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

3 episodes in, and though I like the series overall, am I the only one who cannot stand any of the Byrd family? I'm certainly not rooting for them. I'm not rooting for Ruth either tbh - just watching the story unfold with interest but no favourites in this race for me.

Yeah no heroes but I like that. Makes it feel a bit more realistic I think. Cant stop watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Super ending to a super series, really enjoyed it. I only wish I could watch it from the start again without having seen it already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think you've ever meant to be rooting for them. They're clearly all terrible people trying desperately to eek their way out of the world they found themselves in. Wendy has been a fascinating character though: utterly despicable but a slow corruption all the same, going from reluctant partner to active antagonist within the story. Her own brother offered as sacrafice to her goals.

The only one I was rooting for was Ruth, great character/actress. Ironic that of all the protagonists, she came across as the most intelligent, and moral.

If I had been 'rooting' for anyone, tbh it was Wyatt - so you can imagine I was a bit shook when that went down

I kinda like not liking anyone in particular though, makes it interesting, I'm not gonna cry if ANY of them get done in from here on - I am up to ep-10 season 4, just 4 to go

I can't stand her tbh, I mean the character is played very well, like she's intentionally irritating, but sometimes I just wish she'd get the bullet - in fairness her kids are even more nauseating, they're just not on screen so much, thankfully

• Advertisement

Think you mean Wendy, Ruth doesn’t have kids, Ruth is the redneck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had her pegged as becoming something of a Boyd Crowder (the FX show Justified) kinda figure; the underestimated local who becomes powerful in their own right, but she never really went there. Instead she has been a strange character, at once full of agency but also at the whim of the Byrde's fluctuating priorities. Which I suppose cuts deepest with the surrogate-father thing via Marty. Just as fascinating as the rest of the cast, and as you say the closest one you might root for. She has been a total **** like the rest, so wouldn't call her moral as such - but not in any Machiavellian sorta way.

Hard to pick out a poor character in the whole show, even the ones that were minor fantastic and added to the stories. Russ langmore signing Angel from Montgomery in the last episode with the guitar was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I hope Wendy gets a bullet

I'm down to the final ep and cannot for the life of me think how they will manage to wrap this up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

This season Nelson seems to be getting more screen time but as someone who is basically a killer on demand, I am surprised that he didn't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Disappointing ending for me.

The Byrde's should have got their comeuppance either arrested or killed off preferably with bullets to the back of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭markw7

Couldn't agree more, the first half of this season seemed to get better with every episode. The latter half got worse as it went on.

The show was never even remotely realistic or meant to be, but the way Marty was sent down to run the cartel - ffs what were the writers at?

Disgusted Wendy got no punishment whatsoever and the kids came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

But they were left in a sh1tty position. Camilla is very volatile, if she even gets a hint that they knew about Javier’s death then they’re done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Only got around to finishing this yesterday, very good show one of Netflix's best. Do agree that the last season the storyline started to unravel. It's good that it's finished and they're not trying to force it too much.

Final episode a little disappointing, sad to see Ruth finally get the bullet but I think she knew what was coming. Byrds get away scot free but alot of mental trauma built up and everyone around them either dead or ruined.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well i guess no need for spoilers then ^^

I thought the ending was crap tbh, this season started out strong then just took a nose dive and never recovered. I don't know how anyone could be satisfied overall, it was a very good show, ruined by this 4th season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really enjoyed the entirety of the last season but the actual finale, particularly the last few minutes, was incredibly unsatisfying and weak. Way, way too clean.

I am surprised and disappointed they fumbled it so much at the finish line.

Amazing show with a weak finale.

Would have instantly been way better if that final scene was Rachel and she shot Marty and Wendy. Or if Ruth had told Camila that Wendy was the one that drew in Javi before being shot and you know their happy ending, unknowns to them, would be very short-lived.

Yeah I thought last season was good but ending was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How Marty or the wife werent tortured and killed is a cop out. One of them should have turned on the other. It should have been a dark ending.

When I watched the last episode of the Sapranos I was disappointed that Tony was the one left standing, smiling and happy. Now I look at it and think it was masterful and would have been cliched if the villain got his comeuppance, it would have been to predictable. I think Ozark was the same, we all expect them to reap what they sowed, but in life we don’t all get what we deserve. Great ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Jumping the shark with respect to Marty managing the cartel. Whether it was his acting or the role, the duration was cringey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any idea why in the scene with the prison van why the guard shot the driver also?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Because he wasn't in on the hit carried out by the crooked officer. He was just an innocent officer caught up in it hence had to die.

I don't think that's really much of a comparison. The level of adversity facing Tony was relatively realistic and grounded throughout, and that's putting aside the fact that the ending is ambiguous at best, but heavily implying that he gets whacked at the end anyway.

In Ozark, the Byrdes come up against ridiculously far-fetched adversity from about 10 different directions per season.

It's entirely correct to say that in real life, we don't get the end or story we want. However, Ozark is so far removed from reality I don't think it's much of an observation, nor does it really hold that much water.

Even the final scene is unbelievably lazy.

A PI renowned for his incredible skills as both an investigator and a cop breaks in and retrieves Bens ashes.....and then against all logic decides to sit and wait at the scene, ashes in hand, to confront the Byrdes and put himself directly in harms way.

The more I think about it the more I'm actually disgusted with how bad and how much of a cop-out the finale was. Breaking Bad is an example of how to do an ending to a show of that type. It's not about who lives or who dies - it's about providing fitting ends in a credible and convincing, well supported way.

Ozark didn't do that. Not even close. None of it felt credible or earned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭markw7

Couldn't agree more with this post. Also interesting that nowadays its a safe bet the ending to popular shows will be shite/make no sense.

The many alternative endings posted on the internet by fans are better and more credible than what the writers can come up with - which is mental when you think about it.

Is it a case of 'lets write an ending that will please everyone', which ends up pissing almost everyone off🤣

Advertisement