Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice Cooker recommendations

Options
  • 27-04-2022 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a decent rice cooker, don't mind spending a fair bit. Before anyone says it, yes I could cook rice in a pot, but I would like to take the fecking around with it out of it.

I have one but unfortunately, it does a minimum of 4 cups of rice, which is a **** massive amount of rice to cook at one time. Looking for one that has a minumum of enough for two people at least, but that's also decent. Different types of rice (white, brown, jasmine) would be ideal as well.

I was looking at the Zojirushi NP-GBC05XT, but a) it's hard to get in Ireland and b) the price (though if I could find one I might be inclined to pull the trigger). So I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Pot

Lid

Hob

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

And onto the ignore list you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

have you considered a microwave rice cooker? Assuming you have a microwave.

I have one which works very well. 11 mins for basmati but will need 15 mins for red, wild, black.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

I have a Tefal rice cooker. Works perfectly. Bought it in the Tefal shop in Kildare Village.

I think it makes a minimum of 2 cups. Not sure what the issue is with making 4 cups - stick the leftovers in the fridge and reheat later.

• Advertisement

I wasn't even aware they existed. What model are you using?

I think my current one is Tefal as well. My personal issue with it is that 4 cups is about 13 servings of rice, which I wouln't come close to using in a week. It's far too much for just the two of us. 2 cups wouldn't be too bad, but ideally I'd prefer smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

the one we have was picked up at ideal homes about 15 years ago. Googled it and Amazon have something similar which follows the same concept.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Microwave-Rice-Cooker-2-6/dp/B00BTIVNT4

in terms of electronic, perhaps check out Argos. This one from Breville has good reviews but there are others. I don’t know if a glitch with my browser but sometimes need to look at the UK site to see detailed reviews.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4226309/Trail/searchtext%3ERice.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

picked this judge one in a sale locally a few years ago 2 cups max.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Mini-Rice-Cooker-White/dp/B00HRJ3680

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I've an Instant Pot and a Rice Cooker, the Instant Pot does better rice imo.

Normally cooking rice for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

We have a Silvercrest rice cooker from LIDL, think it was around €17 when I bought it about 10 years ago. We usually cook rice once per week (basmati or sushi rice). It has a minimum of 2 cups (which is also too much for the two of us!), but I've also done 1 1/2 cups and it came out fine in spite of using less water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This Lakeland cooker can do rice or porridge, 1 or 2 portions. Bought it from Amazon UK but they also sell direct. Never lets me down.

They also have a one litre (4 - 6 portions) model...

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/63413/lakeland-digital-rice-cooker-1l

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP Ive been through the rice cooking connudrum only just recently, here is how it went

1. Bought a 10 euro microwave rice cooker (Sistema the brand from Amazon) 3 years ago. Once you follow the instructions for the timings relative to your microwaves wattage it produces perfect rice for 2 people in 10 minutes in the microwave (mine is 750 watts). I used this for 3 years but had heard that electric rice cooker produce a better result so decided to get one to try
    2. Amazon sent me a £5 voucher and Id nothing in my basket so I bought a Russell Hobbs rice cooker for £20. There was lots of others there for £60-£100 which I thought excessive for a basic device. Anyway I used the Russell Hobbs unit twice and gave up on it, the most annoying thing was the 'fill line' for the water, it was etched into black metal and you could barely see it, I had to crane my neck at the sink putting water in to ensure I didnt exceed the fill line. Anyway it produced good result but the result was no better or worse than the above microwave rice cooker. Also it took 18 minutes to cook the rice whereas the microwave unit does it in 10. So I asked Amazon for a refund which they processed, they told me no need to return it so I put it back in its box and sold it on Adverts for 20 quid
    3. Tried using the Instant Pot on the rice cooker setting. My timing might have been off but it produced very sticky rice which Im not a fan of, I prefer fluffy. It also took ages, think it was about 18-20 minutes all up. The sticky rice it produced did a fair bit of sticking to the pot so clean up was hassle, I had to scrub it with a wire brush to get all the rice residue off it.
    4. So now I am back to where I started and using the bog standard 10 euro microwave rice cooker and I wont be moving from that again. It produces the fluffy rice I want and it does it in 10 minutes which is about equal to the time I am chopping the veg and then stir frying whatever it is that is going with the rice. So both rice and stir fry are ready at the same time.

And just for those who say use a pot and water, the whole idea of a microwave rice cooker is that you put it in there and it is set and forget. While its in there I dont need to be worry about a pot on the hob and can just work away chopping garlic, ginger, chilli without being distracted. Its not that cooking rice in a pot is difficult, its just that there is a far more convenient method using the microwave that produces good and consistent results every time and it allows you to not be distracted and get on with other things, that is its main advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I was looking for a Zojirushi a few years ago but couldn't get one except crazy money to import, ended up going for a yum asia panda

Panda Mini Advanced Fuzzy Logic Ceramic Rice Cooker - Yum Asia UK – No.1 For Premium Rice Cookers (yum-asia.com)

been really good, 1-3.5 cups, fuzzy logic, timer, keeps rice warm for hours with no discernible loss of quality, long short sticky brown various other things, not as good as a jojirushi but cheaper and still ok for me. Proper defined grains. I have a sage pressure cooker for big batches but its not a patch on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

I have the Argos Cookworks 1.5L that I spent about €30 about 3 years ago. Faultless for Jasmine rice. Easy to cook, clean and takes about 20 mins or so.

Saying that, Yum Asia are now stocking Zojirushi rice cookers, so am very very tempted to splurge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I went from using a family size Tefal that really couldn't do small amounts to using one of these. Haven't looked back.

Went with this one in the end. Arrived today. Will test it tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions, folks.

Or I won't because it's a 2 pin plug and I can't find my adapters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You can swap the lead entirely according to the instructions (Everyone has all the cables hoarded right?).

And I didn't think I needed a rice cooker but I'm starting to ponder it (though I have no space and tried to implement a one in one out gadget rule)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I got rid of my rice cooker and replaced it with this microwave bowl from Joseph Joseph when it was on sale 3 years ago. I haven't regretted it, but I do miss the keep warm function of the rice cooker sometimes. The rice is just as good from the bowl once you figure out the correct cooking time for your microwave I've found. For us we usually do 1 cup basmati, 1.8 cups water, 800W for 13 mins. Remove colander from the bowl and drain the small amount of water at the bottom. Return colander to bowl, fit lid and then sit to steam for 5-10 mins.

The bowl is really well made, still looks new after 3 years and the colander the rice sits in inside the bowl is very handy for cleaning the rice prior to cooking. I'm happy to have saved the space in the kitchen after getting rid of the rice cooker.

Joseph Joseph 45002 M-Cuisine Microwave Rice Cooker Grain, Plastic, Orange/Beige https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012W9BI2K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_VSNQEWACGF9JVSAN8Z3S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I got a Tiger after setting up an alert on adverts because they are so hard to source. I couldn't imagine why Zojirushi and Tiger microprocessor cookers are so expensive so I just set up the alert to try one out cheaper. I have rid myself of many kitchen gadgets over the years but if the tiger cooker broke I would have no problem replacing it new for two or three hundred euro even though I have an instapot that could replace it. It makes fantastic rice once you get the water quantities right - depending on the rice brand you may have to give it a rinse before cooking. I don't know how it works, cooking rice should be very simple but the rice it makes is fabulous - there is a reason Zojirushi and Tiger are big in Japan.

Note - it does take almost an hour to cook the rice so be aware of that - even quick setting is 35 - 40 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The instant pot rice button only cooks at normal pressure like boiling on the hob. It seems to be calibrated for easy cook white rice. I follow the guidelines here for using the high pressure setting and get excellent results. It also possible to do pasta at high pressure which I use if I don't need any pasta water for the sauce, say just for a pesto salad.

https://greenhealthycooking.com/instant-pot-rice/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

How did you get on with that rice cooker? Did you replace the cable? That 2 pin plug is putting me off. Can the plug be replaced with a standard 3 pin?

I just used an adaptor. Bear in mind it has to be a 13v adaptor though.

As for the cooker itself, I'm very happy with it. Took a few practice goes but after getting the hang of it it produces very tasty consistent rice ask the time. I've played around with adding various bits and pieces to rice like garlic, ginger, mushroom etc and it's all worked very well. Portion size also very convenient. No complaints here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

I bought one of these recently https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09GFBYRF5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Its decent, and can cook a small amount of rice

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've now bought the Judge again, to have one in the holiday house as well. Still perfectly happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 1cent

Anything you choose to buy make sure the pot is stainless still. Instant pot very good and usually comes with a stainless steel pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine that the vast amount of rice cookers have aluminium, non stick pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 1cent

if you cook on regular basis wouldn't last long. Go for stainless still

If anybody is looking for a good place to buy a Korean rice cooker, then I came across this site that somebody linked to on Reddit.

The most expensive model that they have goes is just under €500 however, I decided to go for the basic model with just the one switch, it remains to be seen if the 3D heating system it uses actually makes a difference or is just marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

For quality look no further instant pot. European or UK version plug.

Advertisement