Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd hand batteries

• 30-10-2021 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to supplement my 2.4kW PylonTech with another battery (5kW inverter) and was just wondering about a 2nd hand battery with SOH >95%.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Have you found anyone that sells secojd hand batteries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

no, not yet

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

If you can find them you should have no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Save me money website sent me email recently that they had 3k of pylontech refurbished in stock with 20% off retail price if you want to try them. Never used them myself and holding out for new pylon stock due in next week. Would consider a used battery if less than a year old but would need to be decent savings to warrant it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Keep an eye on the DIY battery thread. As more people dip their toes into that, they'll be selling their old batteries.

I sold 2 pylontech 2.4s to a boardsie a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I would not mind the age of the battery if it was not abused. 1 year old can look worse than 3 year old. For pylontech batteries it is easy enough to connect to them and check what the state the cell are in and general SOH.

good idea and at least now we have a dedicated thread for 2nd hand batteries if people want to sell to us techphobes 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

EV breakers yards are springing up,but you need to know what your buying and go safely.

It also a significant piece of work to convert a battery from EV to solar

Quite right,and with all lithium,dangerous. However in a small scale simple setup like mine, a possible alternative to lead acid. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

Folks

Just spotted these on Donedeal and thought of this thread. Price is very very good if they check out.

€520 for 18 month old Pylontechs. Can't see these hanging around

Pylon 2.4kWh Battery Hybrid Inverter Solar PV for sale in Limerick for €520 on DoneDeal

That seller is either not telling something, or is a dimwit.

I sold mine at just over a year old for a good bit more, and considering that they're in such short supply currently they could easily get €750-800.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

I don't think they are a dimwit as they seem to be involved in Solar Supply/Installations going by the other ads they have. Maybe they don't deal in Pylontech's and just want to move them on?

Also if anyone is looking for a like new Solis 3.6kw hybrid I have one for sale. I bought it in April of this year. Paid 1460 for it but willing to let it go for 300 euro off that.

Said I'd put it to here first before adverts.ie in case anyone was going changing to a battery charging hybrid

I take the 3.7 v lipo cells from the modules and make up packs of differing voltages for various workshop projects. Charging and battery balancing is via Turnigy charger, fed by PV solar project.

No mains involved and around €300 spent in total. Just thought time to move on from lead acids and hernias!

I'm interested so what Q's should I ask

1. Model

2. SOH

3. Warranty

4. Cables for stacking

5. Live video showing the gear? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

If I have a Solis Hybrid INverter - paired with a Dyness battery (4.8Kw) and I want expand... what are my expansion options?

Do i have to get a simlar battery from Dyness? Or is any compatible battery with the inverter OK? Does the battery have to match the same exact size as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

It is like buying a car they all ads say they are clean inside out and fly through NCT. But you only know if that is true if you look under the bonnets, kick some tires and take it for a spin :)

You can get a lot of info out of them just by connecting rs232 cable and running some commands. It will show SOH, cycles, each cell level, errors etc.

You will need same battery from same manufacture as they would need to be connected to each other and need to speak in the same language. Idealy you should not mix different sizes.

• Advertisement

just FYI, I got a 2.4kWh Pylontech off a Wexford fella on DoneDeal today and he has another available if others are interested, can 100% recommend him.

If people are stuck for sourcing new pylontech batteries as I was, I know of mayo supplier that had just got pallet in this week of them. If anyone wants his details drop me a pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

In case anyone is looking, I have a Aug 2019 installed Pylontech US2000 for sale. Comes with power cables to connect to inverter - not to connect to another battery - and with a steel cabinet and earthing cable.

Batteries have been kept in a garage and have an aggressive setting to lower charge amps to 10A at 18C so SOH should be very good. Approximately 800 cycles and were discharged to 16% max. Currently stored at 50% SOC. Looking for 700. Based in Dublin.

Bump. Gonna put this up on adverts this weekend. PM me for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

@garo Did you sell the battery or is it still available

Sorry it's gone to a boardsie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

No problem, thanks for getting back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shanemc30

Anyone selling second hand pylontech batteries at the moment

• Advertisement

Fella on the Facebook Irish solar group selling 3 x Pylontech us3000 currently if its any use to anyone.

2 x Pylontech us2000 on there now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

damn are they going that fast? Would love another 1 or 2 Pylontechs - have a 3U cabinet

Anyone need a Pylontech cabinet? One going cheap here. Think it holds 3 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Pylontech have sent me 3 new US2000 batteries so if anybody is interested in the old batteries please make me an offer via PM.

They are reporting 100% SOH but are showing signs of degradation, not sure if they can be resuscitated fully might make an interesting project for somebody more skilled than me.

Still looking for pylontech batteries if anyone has any available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,705 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I got jspuds' Pylontechs. Some very bloated packs in them 😁

It's LiFePO4, so not dangerous at all.

The Pylontech US2000 have 3 internal battery packs in a 5S configuration each, this evening I have taken 3 out and combined them into a 48V nominal pack. It charges and discharges fine. Haven't done any capacity test yet but might see what range I get on my eBike with this 😂 or use it with my 48V inverter and a granny cable as an eJerryCan™ for one of my EVs to alleviate range anxiety 😎

@shanemc30 - not sure if you are looking for new or top condition used Pylontech batteries or if you would be interested in one of mine. If so, feel free to send me a PM. I'm in Lucan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,705 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For the craic. I charged the opportunity pack above up for a bit, then connected a cheap Chinese 48V inverter. Connected a heavy load (1000W heatgun) to it and I've been running that since. Well over an hour now and running perfectly. Checked with a mate of mine who is an expert in off grid and he said bloated cells do not necessarily mean any reduced capacity at all. Looks like he is right.

Looking for a good quality used battery to add to my system

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mason19

I have a new still in the box 5kw dyness battery if anyone's interested.. bought through wholesalers but I am moving abroad so need for it now. €2000 I will sell it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mason19

Bx51100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Galego

Advertisement