Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An apostrophe (') in front of a word what does it mean?

Options
  • 19-07-2021 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

hi

how are you? if you place

An apostrophe (') in front of a word what does it mean? like place'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've only just seen this (it has only just appeared for me). Its not clear what you mean, you mention an apostrophe in front of a word then show a word with an apostrophe after it.

If you mean after, you would not see a word like place with an apostrophe after it, it would not serve any purpose.

It is used to make a possessive of a plural - you would say the boy's house, if it was just one boy, but the boys' house if referring to the house of more than one boy.

Is that what you are asking?

In front of the word?

I've seen it used to show an accent or slang or say mumbling in some books.

's right for that's right or is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

First of all I would like to point out you have not placed the apostrophe in front of the word in your example.

We read left to right so before the first letter is what most would consider to be in front of. Though I can see how some may think the opposite, as if a word CAR' was a car driving left to right the apostrophe would seem in front of it but that isn't how most people with good grasp of English and grammar will think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sy Kick

It's a place holder for and denotes that something was left out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It usually denotes a missing letter(s), as pg633 says, and generally when rendering speech phonetically. As in Ricky Ricardo's catchphrase "Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do" - the apostrophe is acknowledging the missing "e" and subbed "x".

So, pretty much the same function it performs for contractions - y'all, can't, don't etc. It's just less common to lead with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 LeonOSearcaigh

It simply indicates a missing word. 's right! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

An apostraphe right at the end of a word ending in "s" can denote ownership by those parties.

E.g. The Teachers' books

That means the books belonging to the teachers.

Whereas "the teacher's books" means the books owned by one teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

Advertisement