Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old War Weaponary

• 27-10-2003 1:20am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know the collectors den has some nice daggers that are supposed to be from WW1, WW2 and various civil wars, but does anyone know of another place that sells daggers or swords (mainly swords) from old wars.... Im not looking for 100% genuine stuff, I only really want them for display, so Id expect the prices arent too high on replicas (but i dont want damn plastic things!!)

anyone got any suggestions?

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 barbarianinvade

There is an Antiques store in Waterford off Lombard Street. I believe they hold an auction once an year to sell old war weaponary but he sells stuff off on a daily basis and had a load of that lying about last time i was there (about a month ago).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

thanks for that, sadly i dont think id be able to get to waterford that easily, but I might try.

seems to me that dublin sucks for antiques, but most towns in the country have a half decent antique shop as standard....or so i noticed anyway

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

I collect old antique swords, I've never been able to find any real good ones in dublin. Most of what I would buy would come from England. If you search around ebay you will find tones of them. There not that expensive to ship over and to be honest you will save money on what you may have to pay here for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

there is a market in Angel / Islington Upper Street on Saturday mornings that sells an amazing amount of WW1 and 2 memorabilia including lots of swords and daggers from then and earlier , if you are ever in London it's definately worth checking out, the hand grenades are excellent !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

believe it or not,...
    there is a store, in stephens green shopping center called "banana tree", they sell "replica" japenese swords.
    I wouldnt say they are the most well made ones in the world, but for decoration they are fine. :)
    I know they have a 1/2 price sale on right now too!

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

i want a sword. a lot.

but anyway, if your ever around galway, theres a big ass shopping centre in galway called corbett court.
    in the lower level theres kind of a alley behind the real shops for market type stalls that sell all sorts of antiques and theres a lot of crap too.

theres a couple of stalls that sell weaponry, old/new guns, some fairly modern hand guns, deactivated but still cool to look at.
    theres a lot of swords and daggers aswell, you might question their authenticity but theyre still cool.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

oh yeah, forgot about the banana tree...

sadly the collectors den is closed down (has been since Dec supposedly)....... so now there is nowhere in Dublin for old war memerobilia.

Flogen

Advertisement