Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self contained unit rent

Options
  • 26-04-2022 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all looking for a bit of advice , we have a self contained unit that’s not attached to our house, it was a garage but previous owners changed it to a stand alone apartment, my question is about renting this out , I won’t qualify for the tax relief as I see it has to be attached to the house, so I’m thinking of airbnb , but also the tax will be high, anyone any ideas what I could do with it or what way to go about it

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Did the previous owners apply for planning, or just fire ahead?

Does it comply with fire regulations, building codes, rental standards, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

I would check your planning permission on that, most likely if you rent out you'll be in breach of planning laws and quite possibly building regulations. If it has no planning i would be questioning your solicitor regarding the purchase of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annamonica1

It has planning it used to be a treatment center

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The tax would be at your marginal rate but there might be something that could be done depending on your personal circumstances. Really the bigger issue, as the previous poster says, is whether there is planning for it. If there isn't then you need to make sure that your liability insurance covers it. Fire would be my biggest concern. If the worst happened and someone dies due to a blaze what would be your liability legally.

Originally it was down in the planning as a garage, but then the planning was changed a few years later to a treatment centre, the was 30 years ago so I presume it’s still down as a treatment centre. So I presume I have to change this ? Sorry I haven’t a clue about this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

id imagine it would be doubtful it will have planning as a residential unit, and id doubt youll get it either. If so essentially you cannot rent it out as a residential unit legally, therefore you will need to come up with an alternative idea for the building

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Is it close to the house? There could be a way to attach it some how.

Why would it be hard to get planning for residential ?

yes it’s 25 meters from the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Once people will be sleeping there, there is a huge jump in the fire regulations compared to a space for daytime use only.

Advertisement