Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on these models?

• 25-04-2022 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I’m considering these electric models. All similar price bracket. Any glaring flaws I should know about? Any that you think are clearly better than the others? Anyone know when they are likely to be available?

-hyundai kona (available September in colour we want)

-opel mokka-e

-Peugeot e2008

-citreon e-C4

Am I missing any currently available cars in this style/price bracket (c.35k).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I've driven the mokka and the c4.

(ended up stretching to the next category up and have put a deposit on an EV6)

Definitely preferred the mokka. Should say I've been driving an opal for 10 years now, so was maybe a bit biased. But thought the mokka was more robust and better looking.

The c4 felt a bit delicate or something... That said, a friend of mine has a c4 since October and absolutely loves it!

I think the finance deal on the citron was better iirc.

The MG ZS is also in that category, and seems like a v nice machine. Trouble is your wait time is likely to be 12 months +++.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Breckle

Like…? (Genuine question)

Ok so from that list, the opel mokka e. I can’t think of any other compact suv/crossover that’s German made and about the same price. Out of curiosity - why German?

• Advertisement

The Germans know how to make a good quality interior and exterior and the necessary moving parts. Just my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hyundai build as good as German, Kona is a great range car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I thought the Mokka-e was made in France in the same plant as DS3 (citroen/peugeot PSA) https://www.electrive.com/2020/12/06/opel-mokka-e-selling-out-rapidly/

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/ will tell you how well "German" cars do statistically, instead of hunches

Very interesting, thanks - lots of cars in top 10 I wouldn't have thought or haven't heard of!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Opel are owned by Peugeot now and were never really German before anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MichaelR

If you can get the Kona 64 kWh battery it will have significantly more range than the other ones you listed. However I suspect it might be above your price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I would say wait it out if you can and get the new Renault Megane E-Tech if you can. It will cost a bit more than 35k but its much better than any of them cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

German cars better built 🤣🤣🤣

De Germans have had enough issues of their own in recent times and their build quality does not surpass the Asians anymore in my opinion.

Paint issues and panel gaps on the Taycan, Audi parts failing leaving cars stuck in the forecourt, VW software bugs, opel are about as German as the English are!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The Megane is getting great reviews for sure....

But....

1) Specs are unclear at the moment - its possible that charging as standard on entry level is 22 kw charging only. With DC charging extra

Hopefully Renault Ireland will opt to make DC charging standard.

2) is it over hyped in the reviews - is it really that much better then everything else.

3) in my experience of test drives the Stellantis cars are surprisingly nice to drive and be in. I nearly bought a Corsa myself last year.

4) if we want to play the *wait for a better EV* game of roulette then the Peugeot 308 and Opel Astra are getting BEV versions next year.

5) remember that at entry level the Megane is a 40 kwh car. Which is fine - just remember that if you get the Megane at 35 to 40 k - it's not the full spec 60 kwh car as seen in all the reviews.

I just wish Renault would crack on and make Irish spec and pricing available and get cars out for test drives.

So that we don't need to speculate

Ms

@OP I would say if you like the style of it and can live with the few faults it has tge the e-C4 is tge best car out of the bunch you mentioned and the coolest too.

Some good reviews here,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Deleted

Post edited by Breckle on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Kona is a great car, would definitely choose that from the list. Great range and comfort. Would defo check out Bjorns videos on all of those.

Deleted

What do you think about buying a 2019/20 version over waiting for the 2022? What are the major differences do you know? (Range isn’t a huge factor for us)

Re: citreon - I was almost sold on it, but then saw the 4/5 ncap rating :( I don’t think I can justify anything less than 5 with my 3 young kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

They will all still have great second hand value, I don't know the differences.

I hadn’t considered the Mazda MX-30. Haven’t heard much about it. Any thoughts on it anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AFOL

Ms

There is a few annoying things about it that are also not very family friendly. The back in them is very hard to see out of with small windows also the rear windows do not wind down or open at all and the rear suicide doors for instance are not very good as you can not get out from the rear unless the front door is open first which a rear passenger can not do. The rear doors are also very heavy and there is the catch at the top on the car fir the door that you could potentially hit your head off A pity as it does look great on the outside and has a very classy dash. Fifth gear did a good piece on it. Here it is,

https://youtu.be/WPJrgrz2xGw

If you can live with it faults however then sure try one out and buy it if you like it.

Another good review of it and he goes on about the rear doors and what I said uo there about them being heavy and danger of hitting your head of the catch,

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Thank you! That’s the feedback I needed, definitely not for me with multiple small children.

Ms

No problem. It is a pity that Mazda did not think about them issues more. Its does have a classy dash buy that is not enough. It could have been a very unique successfully model with its own niche but they struggle to sell it now. They sold around 100 of them last year maybe a few more not sure of the exact figures.

The KIA E-Soul is worth checking out,

The new KIA E-Niro is out next year too.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement