Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disintegrated Hub Shell Body

Options
  • 24-04-2022 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

See picture. One of the splines is broken (moves from side to side) and a bit is broken of the top of the shell.

Does this happen often ? Would there be a cause for it or is it general wear and tear ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Never seen that happen before.

Would the wheel have been dropped on the freehub, causing it to be weakened?

Or maybe the smallest cog wasn’t mounted properly when installing the cassette and the torque of the lock ring caused the damage?

Hopefully you can get a fresh freehub and get back up and running.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're putting out too much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I've no recollection of it being dropped and had no difficulty taking the cassette off. The wheels have been on the go for 4 years.

Looking around for a free hub body but they are hard to come by, seeing lots of out of stocks. Its a Novatec F482

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Maybe the cassette lock ring was under-tightened, allowing the cassette to move on the freehub?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Looks like one of the smaller cogs wasnt alligned properly and forced on (or even 'tightened' on) regardless, then ridden for a long time in that failed state.

• Advertisement

You may have hit the nail on the head there guys. I do recollect loose cassette cogs on one of my 2 back wheels (most likely that one) which were causing poor gear changing. I tightened the lock ring and the problem went away but I never checked the condition of the hub at the time.

Don't suppose anyone has a link to a reasonably priced and in stock Novatec F482 cassette freehub body ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

You'd probably find one easily on one of the German online bike shops. They're not usually very expensive components, maybe 40 to 50 euro.

That looks right. Was only looking for the cassette body but if I do get that I at least have a set of spare bearings and axle. Thanks

Would I be correct in assuming that unlike floating bearings in and out the cassette body should come on and off quite easily ? Basically its a fairly simple DIY job ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Very. Undo locknut, slide old one off, slide new one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

If by cassette body you mean freehub then yeah it should be easy to swap old for new. Some don’t even have a retaining locknut and others have a locknut with grub screw

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

To change a cassette, you’ll need a chain whip and a lock-ring tool to loosen the old one. The cassette will then slide off.

install the new one and tighten it with the same lock-ring tool.

Regarding the freehub body, that can be a bit more tricky as brands use different methods of securing it. You may need a combination of Allen keys and cone spanners.

Personally I’d definitely try the cassette removal/replacement but would be tempted to leave the freehub body removal/replacement to someone with more experience.

Ended up buying a complete rear hub (NovatecF482SB-SL/AA-11S Superlight HR-Nabe) from bike components for 57E and used the cassette body. Pops on and off without any trouble. Will keep the rest as a spare, will no doubt use the bearings at some stage. I have an Alexrim rear wheel which I think uses the same hub. Thanks guys

Advertisement