Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprayfoam and possible re-sale issues

Options
  • 25-04-2022 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have read up on a few posts here and just looking for some additional info.

In summary, I live in a 1930s terraced house and done want another freezing cold winter and don't have the budget for a deep retrofit.

I have spoken to a company that will send out someone to do a thermal survey at little cost but they do spray foam and are pushing it as a great solution.

The big question is will sprayfoam in the attic present resale issues? I can see that this is already happening in the UK so my initial thoughts are stay away, but the company assures me it isn't an issue here as we use newer systems with cardboard spacers, ventilation etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I would not get the company doing the insulation to do the initial survey. The conflict of interest would be so great you couldn't take a word of whatever survey they do as credible.

Ventilation, breathability and viability of the roof structure would be my major worry with sprayed insulation.

The reality is most contractors are slipshod to a greater or lesser degree and will only do the minimum they think they will get away with. So you are likely to end up with them not leaving adequate ventilation as to do so properly would require more effort than pointing the hose through the attic hatch and letting loose with it.

The other problem with breathability is that if any moisture manages to get in past the slates and onto rafters, then they will simply rot from the inside out as they won't have an opportunity to dry out properly any more.

Thirdly, anyone buying the house after will be rightly wary of an attic space plastered with spray foam becuase they will be wondering has rot set in due to lack of air circulation or was it delliberately done in a effort to hide deterioration of the structure.

And finally, it always ends up looking horrid, messy and lumpy like a case of advanced poxed syphillis.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

So that's a no then 🤣😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Thanks CreadanLady.

You have said enough to make me want to avoid!

In your view, what's the next best system? The attic is converted (many years ago) so need to get insulation under the floor also. I have added layers of earthwool to the eaves already and has made absolutely no difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

To make a right job of it , if it were me i'd take down the plasterboards on the slant and insulate behind between the rafters with rockwool batts or PIC boards leaving a gap against the roof membrane for ventilation, then re-slab with insulated plasterboard. Then insulate behind the knee walls and out to the eaves with rockwool/PIC. Making sure to seal up all service penetrations or anywhere where draughts might circulate to the inner face of the insulation.

All pretty invasive and expensive.

you could try pushing insulation boards or bats up along between the rafters from behind the knee wall, but it will be very difficult if possible and will be very hit or miss. But if it can be done it would be worth a try.

There'd be no need to insulate under the floor as that is inside the heated space. it would be pointless. If anything it would make the attic space colder as it would block heat migrating upwards from the downstairs.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I wouldnt entertain buying any property with spray foam insulation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement