Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torn meniscus surgery

Options
  • 23-04-2022 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

had an MRI to confirm a torn meniscus- then the fun of waiting for an appointment with an ortho surgeon begins..

can anyone share their experience? % of who needs surgery/doctor recommendations/cost of surgery/ recovery etc.?

thanks a mill

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭secman

Had both knees done, waiting a while for first one, but when right one went, called the surgeon and told him I'd take a cancellation at a days notice, done within a week. Recovery is about 6 to 7 weeks. Went private through VHI, its keyhole. Shea o Flanagan was the surgeon, still practicing as far as I know.

I torn meniscus on left knee, which has since had a joint replacement as I had severe arthritis. My tear was extremely disabling, I attended Beacon Emergency Dept where an MRI was done there and then. A few days later I saw a surgeon who performed the surgery two days after that as a day case.

knees have a LOT of nerves passing through and being triggered by every movement so any surgery tends to be quite painful. First day was fine as local anaesthetic is injected into the joint during surgery to get you moving on the crutches. Next few days were very sore, most especially getting up from a sitting position. Not as painful as a knee replacement though. My advice is buy a packet of Solpadeine but tell the surgeon you might take them as they mightn’t combine with what he prescribes. it’s said to take 4-6 weeks to completely recover.

However in my case by pure coincidence I suffered a strangulated hernia and ended up going to St Vincent’s by ambulance where I underwent emergency surgery. The opioid painkillers they gave me for that made me forget all about anything to do with my knee!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I had it done on my right knee and my experience was very different. When it comes to surgery it was a doddle. Keyhole, no pain, recovery in a few weeks & zero affects from it, knee is performing as well as ever in my sport which can be tough on knees. Surgeon was James Sproul in Tallaght.

Best of luck.

Edit.. It was really sore beforehand, sharp shooting pain. People told me not to get surgery on my knee as it would never be the same!! That obviously wasn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I had a left knee meniscus repair done and had the same surgeon as Secman (Sports Injury Clinic and covered by health insurance). I'm 8 weeks post op and still not fully recovered yet. Surgery was straightforward, had a week's supply of anti inflammatories and painkillers. I didn't need anything after that. I stuck to the instructions when I got home. Did the exercises, short walks and back on the bike for gentle cycles within 10 days. While the pain is gone, the knee is still quite stiff and locks occasionally. I suspect I might need to up the physio so I'm going to see my physio this week. Maybe I'm being a bit impatient ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Looks like I got away lightly. Maybe mine wasn't as bad to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

I had similar surgery to one of the posters above, Dr Flanagan in Santry. Back in 2017. Torn meniscus right knee. Worked a treat. Actually returned to GAA at age of 38 later that year. No issues at all since. Have done couple of marathons since also. Good luck.

P.s. my knee now clicks going up stairs for some reason. No sneaking around house anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

2014 I had my right knee done. It was locking in place whenever I bent it, swelling and pain. Had keyhole surgery was told 6 weeks recovery. I got a post op infection, in hospital for a week on IV antibiotics every 4 hours and had to have a second surgery to wash it out, I had a 6 month recovery then. Muscle wastage was huge. Lots of physio and still not 100%, I need to constantly keep on top of strength work or I will get a problem somewhere in the chain.

I have however completed dozens of Triathlons and running races since then however and am improving still.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭John G

I had this surgery done about 5 years ago and havn't looked back since. I had it done through Santry Sports Clinic by Dr. Moran. Was OK to go a few months later with discomfort gone immediately. Everyone is different so I would default to what medical advice you are receiving, more importantly best of luck!

Advertisement