Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running after Covid?

• 18-04-2022 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi I tested positive a few days ago and though improving am still quite tired.

I'm wondering what are other's experience of running after Covid? Did it have much of an impact afterwards and for how long?.

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

Took me several weeks to feel normal when running again. I still had plenty of fitness in the legs but my chest wasn’t great for weeks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭ariana`

Interesting to hear that it took weeks - about how many do you recall?

It's 3.5 weeks since i tested positive and I feel 100% in day to day life but running is torture. My HR is extremely high and everything just feels so hard - my legs are heavy, I'm sweating and breathing heavily. I have only done easy runs and all shorter in distance than I would be used to doing. I did a parkrun on Saturday in 37 mins - was with my little one and took some (very welcome) walk breaks. My Garmin afterwards told me I was "Overreaching" and needed 3 days recovery. For context my 5k PB is 22:xx and I would normally be able run 24-25mins as a steady effort. I'm getting frustrated but also trying to keep things in context. I'm hopeful that this will pass with patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jylyzucyj

It depends on your organism. Maybe you'll be able to run immediately after you test negative and won't notice any negative sides of covid at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Best of luck OP, running after sickness always sucks. Why are you doing 37 min runs if they kill you? Do 20, 25, 30 preferably in threes before doing doing the next.

I am the master of illnesses and injuries return, take it slow, and you will get there faster.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

I had a mild dose last Dec & found my breathing was definitely off for a good while afterwards, the last k of a parkrun was tough going but things gradually improved. It really depends on how bad a dose & which variant I guess. Definitely ease back into things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I had a moderate case, first four days in bed with shivers, aches, temperature. Another four weakness with a chesty cough.

I started running again day 10 after first positive. Pre COVID I was up to 50 mile weeks and in good shape as I was at the tail end of a marathon block.

Initially my chest was quite glassy but gradually reduced and I built up to a 20 mile lsr 20 days after first positive, I still wasn't fully back fit and my heart rate was elevated compared to pre COVID levels for at least 4 weeks.

I wear my watch all the time. my sleeping heart rate went from late 40s to mod 50s for at least 30 days after positive test. This is probably the main metric I used for the affect it had on me. One month before normal.

That was me.

Everyone is effected differently. It's a novel disease so it's very unlikely you will get good advise other than take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I had a mild dose and was able to go for a long run at normal pace almost to the the minute my 7 days isolation was up but I know others who took weeks. Everyone's different

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I really think smartwatches/garmin/fitbit etc are an under-analysed mine of data for Covid. As you mention, Rest Heart Rate is a fundamental indicator of fitness and could be aggregated to at least provide different recovery (or otherwise) scenarios. All those companies are sitting on tons of data I hope they are doing something with it for the common good...

As often, I looked up a topic after what I commented on it...

And I signed up for https://runningthrough.org/ research project on Covid using Strava and Garmin data...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

I had 3 days with moderate symptoms and then 4-5 days of being fatigued.

On day 9, I did a recovery level 5Km run to test the waters. HR was high but rest of the body felt ok.

Whether I was running or not, my HR continued to be high for about 10 days after that. As my HR was higher, recovery was taking that bit longer. The spikes for elevation became less and less. I never had those HR lows that you would expect on descents, it remained just above typical easy HR rate. As I run a lot of the same routes over and over, I could see the HR rate slowly returning to normal with each run.

It was 3 weeks after initial diagnosis that I did any session work. In total it was 16 easy runs before any sort of effort.

I still have a lingering dry cough and my taste/smell has not returned.

Post edited by py on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I had it fairly mild with mainly just a dry cough and fatigue lasting 4-5 days. I took a few extra days off running once the symptoms had passed but was back at full training capacity within the fortnight with no obvious after effects. A couple of clubmates had similar experience and were back doing sessions within two weeks but I've spoken to others who took quite some time to recover. There's no clear pattern and I think the only advice can be to listen to your body and maybe keep an eye on HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

Yeah totally agree. The stress level data for the previous nights sleep on my Garmin were through the roof the morning I tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Have to agree that it's different for everyone. I was 10 days from first positive before I ran again and took all the recent runs after it as easy. First couple were quite tough but after that the chest eased up and felt good but each to their own. I took a supplement for the 2 weeks afterwards that I had seen on another thread, Revive Active, and found that helped with the energy levels and tiredness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How reliable is this sort of stress level data?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

I had COVID pre vaccination last year and wasn't right for 6-8 weeks. I found the best indicator of when you have recovered is HRV.

Your resting HR should vary between beats and the more it varies the better your body has recovered from stress either from over training or illness.

Its is provably the stress level in Garmin. Poplar measure it as a fitness test. If you have a compatible chest strap that can measure it HRV Elite will give you a score. I would expect an reasonably fit/trained runner to normally be 55+ anything under that is take it easy.

FWIW I measured under 30 for 2-3 weeks post covid and I couldn't walk up a hill without been breathless. Also had extreme fatigue and tiredness. Gradually it improved with rest and taking it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Tested positive in late November...was fairly sick with flu symptoms for about a week, felt crappy for a few weeks and then started getting breathless in January so went on a bunch of meds that more or less cleared that up.

Back running a few weeks now but not feeling 100%....feel like a car with a couple of gears missing. Also get random bouts of feeling tired/meh for 2-3 days so trying to build a consistent base is challenging.

Have a deferred entry for DCM but it's starting to dawn on me that I won't be able to train for and/or run it in the way that I want.

Doing a bit more cycling as well lately...seems to be less of a drain than running right now.

I wear a Garmin 245 and keep an eye on the stats but only have it since Christmas so don't have anything to benchmark it against unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I had Covid in early February. It was reasonably mild, more like a bad cold, but the fatigue that came with it was something else. I was able to work for 2 hours at a time and then I had to go back to bed, which lasted for about a week.

I started running after a break of about 3 weeks, and after the initial week I felt more or less back to normal. However, I only just recently noticed the HR finally dropping back to pre-Covid levels for my easy runs, more than 2 months later. Of course the gap in running would have some impact on my fitness but I've had breaks before and this was by far the longest time it ever took for the HR to get back to normal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Prior to covid I was in a good place fitness wise, could head out with the little lad in the buggy and easily do a 1hr 40 marathon distance and training for a big race in May.

But got Covid in mid January and while I had it I felt fairly fine, towards it clearing I started to feel really, really tired and that tiredness really stayed around for about 3 weeks afterwards. I could get up and feel fine but I'd do a 2mile leisurely walk with the dogs and I'd get home and be exhausted and fit for nothing.

Running wise wasn't great even into late Feb/March, 3mile run could feel like doing a hard 15miles. Even now between loss of fitness runs just aren't as plesant as before though I do have a few now and then that I'm starting to enjoy again which is something. That race in May has no chance of happening.

My resting HR would normally have been about 43, during covid it actually went down to 39

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

this is hard to say i have seen athletes where those metrics like hrv hr etc where fairly good yet athletes still felt flat.

at the same time when they are off i guess that is much more often then not a good indicator but also not always . but its a solid 2nd opinion but feeling still rules, and this is the danger with those metrics some people forget about how they feel ...

one thing that is almost sure running feel the worst the longest while cycling feels almost always not as bad and comes back quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I track HRV daily (first thing in the morning) using a finger sensor and the Elite HRV app. I find it pretty reliable, the morning after a hard session my HRV goes down and my RHR goes up giving me a lower readiness score, I have also seen negative changes after vaccines and if I've had a few beers, followed by a poor nights sleep. Ultimately I will go by feel, but if I feel a little extra fatigued and the data is backing that up I will adjust my training or bring forward a recovery day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Running after Covid?

I heard of people trying to catch it early on, but that is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

Like with everything else, there are all kinds of factors involved; you are more likely to get Covid when you are stressed from

life and your immune system is down. For example, my mother and sister had it and my dad didn't get it.

There is so much at play.

Also cycling is easier no matter what, you lose your fitness faster with running and it takes longer to gain your fitness back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

At the same time, Covid is probably the most researched disease in history, so luckily we have far more to extrapolate from than just our own individual experiences and opinions.

Running is a big part of my life and I have been lucky to avoid covid so far (as far as I know). As an over 50 boosted in December it is a pity I can't buy an extra booster. The vaccines are plentiful now and paying for them for those who want it should be allowed. It used to be the way with the flu vaccine.

Even willing to pay twice the price so that someone else who cannot afford it gets it.

I really do not fancy the risk of being floored for a week and unable to run properly for months. Quality of life matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Just run. Ni speed or tempo sessions, till feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I had it in December sore throat and cough, I started back after the isolation ended ,HR was a little higher than normal for it but all good since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

This all depends on if the particular variant of disease hurt lungs of the individual or not, or if long covid (PACS) symptoms present.

You need to research this folks.

I am not an expert but would advise doing exercise (eg walking or extremely slow jogging if that's possible) where you are NOT getting out of breath and stopping before that happens.

Build from there very gradually. That is safest way. You don't want to mess around with this disease.

Post edited by demfad on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

This is almost exactly the same as my experience of sickness length, recovery time, heart rate elevation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Did ye have the same variant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I don't know which variant I had. It was at Christmas, so could've been Beta or Omicron.

Advertisement