Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT expires 20th April, earliest NCT test I can get is 28th April

• 17-04-2022 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

My NCT expires on 20th April. I've been trying without success since the start of March to get an NCT test before 20th April. As I was having no success myself I rang the NCT call centre a few weeks ago and asked to be put on the priority list. After a few days they came back with a test date of 28th April. They said that is the best they can do.

Can I continue to use my car after the 20th April. If I was stopped would it be enough to show my test booking? Am I invalidating my insurance if I drive between 20th April and the test on the 28th April?

I plan to use the car as sparingly as possible until I do the test, but I anticipate I will have to use it some.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Can I continue to use my car after the 20th April.

Legally no.

If I was stopped would it be enough to show my test booking?

Very likely yes.

Am I invalidating my insurance if I drive between 20th April and the test on the 28th April?

Depends on exact wording in the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Chances are that you'll be OK but keep a copy of the NCT appointment in your car.

I can't recall the last time I came across a checkpoint anyway.

The insurance piece will be in your policy document.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Acosta

I doubt any Guard will do you for being a few days late once you have proof of appointment. There's a backlog everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Check every single bulb in the car is working and make sure the tyres are more than road legal, if you are stopped and the car has one working headlight and on 4 slicks they will rightly throw the book at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Thanks Atlantic. The car is roadworthy, regular service, lights, tyres all in good condition, legal thread depth, etc. Irrespective of the NCT I would not be driving around in an unsafe car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Appointments become available online after 11pm so you might be able to get a slot sooner. Those slots are usually within a few days so if the car is ready for the test that option might suit. Just be aware that any appointment within 5 days can't be rescheduled without penalty fee charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mine is expired since March and couldnt get an appointment before August (booked in March), its rediculious. I have the email confirmation on my phone if ever stopped, i doubt the guards are too bothered about it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I checked last night for Dublin at about 11.30pm, soonest in local place Northpoint was August but I could get Deansgrange at 7.50am tomorrow morning, might not suit all but the cancellations are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

NCT delays are ludicrous at this stage. Next available slot in Cahir is in August. WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ring the NCT phone line and you will get earlier date. They also have an online form where you can ask for an earlier date and say what days you are free. Beware you may get a day or time that is not ideal.

Try booking online months before you need it if you can.

• Advertisement

>>>Ring the NCT phone line and you will get earlier date. 

I did this, I think I rang them sometime in early March. They came back a few days later (by email) with the 28th April NCT date. I emailed, and then called them, back and explained that the test date they had given me was eight days after the NCT expiry date. The lady I spoke to was very apologetic and said that was the best currently available (to be fair, I expect there was nothing she could do about it). She suggested I ring back the next morning and something might come available overnight. I rang the next morning, but same story. I rang on three or four subsequent mornings, but always told what I has was the best currently available. At that point I gave up and accepted that I would not get the test until 28th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

I am told that all overtime has been cancelled in the testing centres, hence the inordinate delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

When I tried booking recently, the earliest date I could find anywhere around Dublin was in September. I called them and went on the cancellation list.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Told by who?

The drunk on the barstool?

I love how people make statements like this with no backup whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I’m told overtime is available (on bank holidays) but no one will work it because they already are doing mandatory overtime every week since last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I called at the end of March as appointments were August and NCT expired in April, got put on the cancellation list and on the 9th I got an appointment for the 20th. On the day of the appointment I got a text saying it was cancelled so I'll have to call again as current appointments are September. They don't even put you back on the list or anything.

To close on this, happily my car passed the NCT, so I'm now good for another year. Hopefully by the time this rolls around again next April getting a test will be a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

The system is in shyte. My neighbour is up the wall. Her NCT is due mid June and she only tried to book today. Nothing until October!

Short of having a crystal ball are we supposed to know that a backlog would happen and book months in advance and lose a few months on the disc? Or wait until a month or two beforehand and get nothing and have to park the car up for months waiting on the test?

I fully agree with the NCT and I don’t buy the rubbish that it’s a cash grab but not being able to book 6 weeks in advance is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Call the NCTS!! This has been said many, many times in these threads before. She'll get an appointment closer to the time by calling and speaking to a human being. Otherwise, check the website at about 11pm and there might be some cancelled slots available.

Advertisement