Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying an imported Honda Fit/Jazz

• 22-04-2022 5:11pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My trusted '05 Vitara is on its way out and I've been looking at a number of cars and the Honda Fit/Jazz ticks a lot of boxes.

Automatic is a must for me and my partner.

What we like about the Fit is that it's Hybred, it sits a little higher from the ground so it's easier for in/out, it's really roomy in the back with great options in folding seats. We've elderly parents and I need good space for work. I test drove one today and found it really nice to drive and surprisingly nippy and responsive (for what it is).

The car I looked at today was a 141 (D 46051) Honda Fit, 120k/km (highish), it's a nice red colour, very clean inside and out. The dealer has replaced the Japanese info screen with an EU (?) one and it has front and rear dashcams already installed. He's looking €11,500 for it.

What's not to like? The armrest is a too low for comfort. And...

We've contacted Aviva re insurance and they've said it's not on their system and it'll take until next week for quote. Which got me thinking- how do I find out the provenance of the car if an insurance company can't easily do it? What should I be looking for? Chassis no.? Vin no.? Are these imports dodgy?

Also, the car dealer based in Swords town (not Airside) came across as a little too "urgent" which left me and her leaving with a little bit of a cautious feeling.

Any opinions on the make of car? And how do I do a decent check on it? We're willing to up our price a little. So should we move on in order to get a newer and less mileage version?

All opinions greatly recieved and I'm open for PMs if someone has something to say but not publicly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

What puts me off them is car theft, it will be number 1 on the list no matter where it's parked due to the simplicity they are to rob due to lack of factory fitted immobilizers. You would need to fit a good alarm and immobilizer and a visible deterrent like a steering wheel lock to have any comfort owning one.

They are good cars otherwise, perhaps a few bugs here and there in the Japanese language not being able to be changed to English on some displays.

You could ask for the auction sheet from Japan for the car, this will indicate known issues with it, dealer may or may not have this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah theft is an issue we've come across with Jap imports, in particular the Toyota Aqua (although I'm not interested in one of them). The dealer does advertise at as coming with an immobilizer however if it's aftermarket I wonder how good it is.

The buggy screen in Japanese is a problem my friend had on his Aqua however the Fit I was looking at today has a new screen installed with English.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I know cars are expensive now but that seems very expensive for an 8 year old Fit import.

I wouldn’t care less about the “urgency” of the dealer- I’d be more concerned with finding the right car for you. I’m sure he’s “lot of buyers interested” old yarn 🥱

Yeah I jumped in one the other day and found it quite a bit tighter for space than the Fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭User1998

Honda fit has an alarm and immobiliser. They don’t get stolen like Vitz, Aqua etc

We might pull the trigger on a 141 Vesel HRV.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have a 2015 Jazz and very happy with it, never had any issues with it.

Really, really liked the Jazz but when we got into the HRV and pulled the door shut we looked at each other and knew the HRV was a better fit for us even if it was above our expected budget. If it wasn't the HRV it would've been the Jazz.

We've applied for loan and will have to chase down insurance quote as it wasn't possible on line. So those 2 things going through hopefully we'll have it end of the week/ early next week.

HRV is a few classes up from the Jazz munch more like the vitara. Jazz is a great little car but they feel like a city car. Peer superminis like the fiesta, polo, Ibiza, C3 all feel more substantial

• Advertisement

We loved the Vitata and it owes us nothing after over 10 years of reliable motoring. Of all the cars I've tested in the last couple of weeks the HRV really feels like a 21st century evolution of the Vitara.

I really liked a Polo T Cross in Grange Motors but it was too tight in the back and it gets dogs abuse on line for problematic issues. So that was a hard no.

Nissan Juke was a joke inside. Really my 17 year old Vitara looks just as modern inside (I think it was an '15 model).

I'd have loved a Yeti but kinda wanted a Hybred and it was a harder sell to the other half.

HRV was an immediate unanimous decision.

Hopefully all goes well this week.

Old model juke interior is terrible alright. Old fashioned, poor quality and the car is poorly packaged

Well we've gone for the Honda Vezel HRV and hope to pick it up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Family member just bought a Honda fit hybrid 2017. It's a great little car and much bigger than it appears. Lots of interior space. Ideal for a city car or short 20 minute commute to work. Filled with tech and really economical, it does avg 65mpg. I love driving it and I drive a Passat myself. The Fit does 0-100km in just over 8 secs so it's very quick for what it is. The big bonus is it's a Honda so we know it won't break down. Was way cheaper that a Yaris and much more power, space and gadgets.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Was looking at one of these import hybrid Fit's also, seems to be decent value but it worries me getting them insured would be a nightmare? Also would they be similar to say a Polo or Fabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Insurance no prob,I'm on my second hybrid import and looking to buy a fit,or note epower hybrid atm

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Where did you get insurance, finding it impossible to get a quote for a 2016 Honda Fit.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve had 4 jap imports no problem with insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

2 jap jap imports and 2 bmw jap imports no problem also. Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭theintern

Re insurance, you generally just need to call. The online quote machines won't quote you. We bought a Japanese import and so far no issues. Insurance was grand, if you look at the documents they've added a line to the details about it being an import and the insurance went up by 60 compared with the 18 year old Yaris it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lauralaura3

Paddy Compare, allianz, axa do japanese imports

I have currently a jap import

my last 3 were jap Honda imports aswell

no issues at all ref insurance or cars themselves

Likewise going back 10/12 years

zurich is mine on this list import and last

ive had 2 Honda insights

Suzuki swift

and currently an ignis import

no issues whatever,

giving my current car to my son in January when he hopefully passes his driving test,

and I’ll get a cheap fit to do me,

I’ll never buy a local car- jap imports are generally low mileage

clean

one owner

great condition

well specced and looked after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Allianz wouldn't quote me on a Fit but they would on a Insight, Broker told me it's because the likes of the Fit and the Vitz have Irish equivalent while the Insight doesn't, made no sense to me but that's what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Same here, got my parents a Honda Fit auto import from Japan, My folks love it and as a passat driver also I love taking the

fit for a spin, great in S mode too, super nippy and economical and comfortable.

100 pc

Insight does

(es )you can get the ES version

euro spec

• Advertisement

There’s sports versions of the fit

yours A normal version?

Advertisement