Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leasing to council

Options
  • 21-04-2022 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭

Has anyone leased a property to the council long term?

What was your experience? Would you do it again?

Sorry if there's already a thread on this, I couldn't find one. If there is a thread if someone could link it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

I leased a house for 8 years to DCC via the RAS system.

It is sold as a win/win for the landlord but my experience was far from it. The tenant absolutely wrecked the house (caused about €30k worth of damage). Despite advising the council of the damage being caused they did not want to know. There is no recourse for such damage to the property. Eventually I had to go to the PTRB to get the tenant evicted. The process took quite a bit of time to enact as I still had to give the relevant notice etc and then had to start the expensive repairs in order to sell up.

Overall I would not recommend but that is just my experience, others have many positive stories to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Don't do it. Totally agree with Mitzy.

Carbon copy experience with Ras Scheme. Just finished sale. Sell up and get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭PSFarrell

In the building I live 2 apartments were leased to DCC...Both sets had to be evicted after countless complaints of anti-social behavior with damage done to both the common areas and apartments and as said above no recourse to get repairs from council. Both landlords lived in the west and thought it would be an easy option. It seemed endless stress for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have a mate in the middle of a nightmare with LTL.

Its the whole apartment blocks nightmare tbh and the council wont do anything apart from send emails saying "We note your complaint".

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

If it is a rural house then absolutely do not do it. What happens is that they council assign to more rural houses tenants who have a terrible track record of complaints and antisocial bahaviour and can't be accomodated in built up areas due to the hassle they cause. You end up with the worst being sent out to rural houses so that they can piss off the least number of people.

My sister did it for a while some years back. Ended up with travellers in the house and they eventually disappeared leaving a load of scrap cars and rubbish all over the place.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The councils have suspended the long term lease scheme, been unavailable to new entrants since last September

The council use those long term lease schemes to house dysfunctional people, nothing better than drawing a line under a problem person for ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Oh I didn't realise that.

No mention on the website but no surprise there either .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Ginger83

There was a thread on here of a similar nightmare a landlord had with their council with one of the long term schemes. In fact the council admitted that they had told the tenant to overhold and it had to go legal.

Take the overwhelming advice and avoid like the plague.

Politically unpopular for councils to lease property long term, seen as enriching property owners with public money

Bowing to left wing populism has us where we are

• Advertisement

I've a house leased to Limerick city council, haven't been in the joint in three years, they had a scumbag in it last time but I've always gotten paid and yield is 13%

Advertisement