Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gas Rate Increase - How much was yours?

Options
  • 21-04-2022 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know we are living in "unprecedented times", but I am inclined to think there are some energy providers out there who are really taking advantage of the current circumstances.

My current gas provider (won't mention the name) has increased their rate by +300% since October. It all started with the energy crisis that made the rate spike from €0.09 to €0.21 (€/kwh). Then roughly 4 months later, we got another notification that the rate needs to increase again due to the Russia-Ukraine conflict, this time from €0.21 to €0.37 (€/kwh). This is an increase of +300% which is absolute insanity.

I understand rates have to increase. However, there has to be a cap placed by the government on how much of an increase an energy provider can apply in a set time frame. 300% in less than 6 months is appalling.

It seems they're taking advantage of the fact we're locked in an exclusivity contract to hike the prices however they like. I'm a single person whose hot water bill for 2 months is now at €345 (I don't even take baths, just a timed 10 minutes shower morning and night). I haven't used any heating in the last 2 months.

What is your current situation?

Post edited by TheGlossy on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

2 showers a day? You are clearly in thrall to ‘big soap’.

Try 2 showers a week.

Much better for the environment and the bank balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tis gas isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

37 cents for what?

A kwH?

• Advertisement

Custom House Square and Frontline energy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've got either a faulty hot water meter or a leak if the bill is that high... or the standing element is huge

But all those metered hot water suppliers charge through the nose anyway.

That's what I was wondering as well because I had an issue with my shower that kept cutting off after 5 minutes. Then the plumber took a look and said he couldn't fix it at first, then looked for a workaround which solved the issue but my bills have since spiked. Granted, there is the rate increase element of it, but if I look at the bills the energy output went from an average from 450 to an average of 690 when the day to day consumption is still the same.

Man, if I have to ring my landlord to ask them to send a plumber to see if there's a leak, it's gonna be another hassle.

37c per kwH is beyond overcharging.

I pay 6c.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can you read your own meter for this? I'd assume its in the apartment or extremely nearby as there is no reason for it not to be (further away and you'd be paying to heat pipes).

Check readings after the last use of hot water and before the start of the next, if you can.

• Advertisement

I'll try. The reader is not in the apartment I believe, but I could be wrong. I've never fetched for it.

The apartment is equipped with an old type of water heater. There is no continuous hot water. You have to turn it on at the control unit, It's a stupid question but I'm wondering if I'm being charged when the water activated at the control unit to heat up even if I'm not actively using it.

Post edited by TheGlossy on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Energia, all prices ex VAT

2019 = 6.25 cent, with a 28% discount = 4.50 cent

2020 = 6.25 cent, 35% discount = 4.0625 cent

2020/21 = 5.50 cent, less 35% discount = 3.575 cent

The increases started in mid 2021

5.50 cent to 5.83 to 6.50 to 7.80 cent now

2022 so far = 7.80 cent less 39% = 4.758

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Mine is 42 with Frontline.they also have the most expensive standing charge I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,346 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Bill arrived today. I've compared it to my bill from the same time last year and it's pretty grim.

88 less k/Wt used, yet 77% more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well yes as heating it is using power ie electricity.. Same as a kettle Heats it so you can use it.

Advertisement