Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I use Ecosia.org - they've a great privacy policy AND every search you do plants a tree. They've lots of information on their homepage. 🙂🌳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Can anyone ID this please. Shrub or small tree. In bloom now. Very fragrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think its a vibernum bodnantense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I wonder if someone can ID this weed that is growing under and within some climbing rose bushes that I have in my garden - trying to figure out a way to kill it without negatively impacting my rose bushes (which are growing wild and definitely need a good pruning!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Brambles/blackberry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks like that to me as well. I find the roots not to be too difficult to dig out once you can avoid the thorns on the stem when you trace them back to where it is growing out of the ground. A loppers can help renove parts of the stem (and some rose branches if needed) to make the base more approachable. Might be a bit more awkward if the roots are knotted in with the rose plant but a trowel or a good garden fork would be the way I'd approach getting it out anyway. A bramble that size would not have a big root in my experience. Just be sure to bury the rose plant roots again if they get exposed by the digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Briars that size are easily pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Looking for some help with this tree. There are 3 of them, growing together in a remote part of the farm. From what I've seen, there's nothing else like them around the area.

Would like to try to grow some more nearer my house, but need to identify them first. Are they native Irish?

Scots Pine. There is a small native population in Co Clare. Beautiful trees, well worth planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Yes Scots Pine. I was delighted lately to get a present of five potted trees about 45cms tall to plant in a woodland I am developing. Was told they came fro Clare so may be the same you mentioned.

Might be worth seeking self seeded plants near the existing trees.

• Advertisement

I'm a long way from county clare, in South roscommon. They are on the boundary between two fields. I'll have to look to see if there are any seedlings in a few weeks on the ground underneath, before hedge undergrowth chokes anything. We had very hard frosts this week here. But failing that, I guess I'll have to watch for cones next autumn and see can I collect a few with a long pole. They would be ideal at the edge of my garden in 40 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

They have shallow enough root systems, don't plant them too close to the house!

Should be between 20 - 80m from the house

That would be one heck of a tree at 80m!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

The Scots Pine is a native and you'll see them around the country if you keep a look out. They are very distinctive and majestic. You can get them for a couple of euro from futureforests.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

A stunning tree indeed. The growth habit is remarkable the way they just go straight out on the horizontal like that. I've never seen anything quite like it.

The general shape looks like Scots Pine, but its a bit blurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I've been told this is Wood Sorrel but I don't think so. Anyone got any idea?

The leaves make me think of some sort of peony, if I'm honest. I have one that only bloomed once and the flowers were single and pale pink, like a dog rose.

Then again, a reverse image search in Google returns "Anemone Canadensis"/"Anemone Nemorosa"...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

100% Anemone and I'd tend towards Anemone Nemorosa - Wood Anemone, because the leaves are sort of bigger on Canadensis.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Yes, Wood Anemone.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Ah yes, comparing the Google images of Wood Anemone with my photo they look the same. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Any idea what the big leaved plant is?

OK so its a mallow of some kind - malva (malvaceae) .

I see some very similar by the sea in the UK where my mother lives and the one there is Malva arborea, Tree Mallow. Used to be called Lavatera arborea.

So might end up looking like the one here http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/4168/tree-mallow-at-porthmeor-beach-by-the-island-in-st-ives/

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Can anyone tell me what this is please ? Black berries in the winter which the birds love & yellow flowers in summer . It’s not St Johns wort but similar! Thanks

Hypericum. Androsaemum I think is the variety.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

Also an Irish native http://www.irishwildflowers.ie/pages/177a.html maybe it just turned up in the garden. We have it growing wild in the rough areas of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I have to ask, how do they know it smells like goat when you crush the leaves? :)

Well I know what a goat smells like, I've friends that keep them, but I'm not sure that many people would know except its not a smell you forget in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

I may go out & crush some now & see how it smells 🤣

Advertisement