Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best DNS settings for gaming - ireland

Options
  • 17-04-2022 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm playing some online games and I've noticed my ping is fluctuating in the range 50ms - 130ms which causes glitch and latency.

My isp says my connection is solid.

Does anyone know what the best DNS setting is for gaming in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is your PC/Console wired to the router or connecting wirelessly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aberry

Wired directly into the router

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭banana_bear

I'd be surprised if DNS had anything to do with your issues.

DNS is only the resolution from a name (e.g. www.google.ie) to an address (e.g. 74.125.193.94, which is what www.google.ie currently resolves to on my PC). And the result is cached for a while. It is not resolved every single time.

Try the following:

• open a cmd.exe
    • ping www.google.ie
    • ping -t [the IP address that www.google.ie resolved to]

The second statement pings the IP address directly. No DNS involved at all. The "-t" makes sure it keeps pinging.

As you can see on my screenshot, my ping to to www.google.ie is between 25 and 48ms. Not great, but while inhouse everything is connected by gbit ethernet, my actual internet connection is 4G (Imagine).

So if you do this, and your ping goes wildly up and down, then DNS is not your issue.

Advertisement