Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually hated that. It's the curse of prequels, people put in explanations for things that don't need explanations. Of all things, we didn't need to have an explanation for where Saul got the inflatable Statue of Liberty.

Other than that, I have no complaints. A great start to the season. Nacho has been the unsung hero of the entire show. The actor is just terrific and especially as we have no idea where his character ends up, he's the one I'm rooting for the most, even more than Kim.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Damn!! Never copped it about the teeth, was wondering why he even needed to kill them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This plot line involving Kim and Saul seeking revenge on Howard is completely uninteresting to me ,I could care less

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think it is good. Allows more storyline and developments of Kim and Jimmy. Tied up well. Remember they wanted the Sandpiper settlement. But Howard blocked them.

‘Could care less’ annoys me tbh.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Recap for season 1-5

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's interesting to me as I don't think Howard is the worst, and just drives on the fact Jimmy and Kim are increasingly becoming ****.

The worst thing Howard did was be Chuck's puppetman, and even then you could see it didn't sit well with him.

Review Episodes 1-2 of 6th series

Personally I think Julie Ann Emery (Betsy Kettleman) was great. Superb acting great delivery of the line ‘My Children are in public schools’. Plays the quirky character brilliantly. The looks of annoyance etc. Nice comic relief.

Michael Mando (Nacho) a close second. Constantly on edge.

I really enjoyed this two episodes. It must take them ages to plan them.

Agree about Howard but the whole thing is a diversion from the real cartel v Gus plot line and a tedious one

I think he's a great sort of mirror to the lawyer side of the story; he's who Jimmy wishes he was, and it's who Kim would be without Jimmy. But I also think he could end up being more important this season. My initial thought on who was following Saul and Kim at the end of episode 2 was Lalo or someone connected to him, but thinking on it further, I think Howard might have hired someone to follow Saul as he knows Saul is behind everything that's been happening to him.

The cartel v Gus story is great, exciting, and features some of the best characters. But we also need to see what happens to Kim, and how Saul ends up where he is at the start of Breaking Bad. I think Howard might end up being integral to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Nacho is a great character, very charismatic actor , has he been in anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

I dont give a sh1t that you are annoyed by could care less !!

WTAF ??

He had a small role in Spider-Man Homecoming as Mac Gargan (Scorpion). Other than that I think he's best known for playing the baddie in Far Cry 3, where he got a lot of praise for his performance.

Just making you aware of it that is all, no offence meant.

It is just makes no sense as it is a grammatical malapropism from America. I thought a funny take on it might amuse you. Obviously not! 😫

It is unusual to see Irish people use it.

I will look out for ‘I could care less’ in BCS maybe that is where you picked it up.

But it is amusing/annoying as ‘could care less’ makes no sense. That would mean you care, but have less to care. ‘Couldn’t care less’ is the phrase you are after.

I think the Kim/Jimmy/Howard narrative will develop. And you might get more into it. It could even overlap with the Lalo narrative. But it is only my opinion. I am not offended if you ‘couldn’t care less’! 😎

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I Feel like I've stumbled I to someones PM's

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know what the whole safe thing was about? Mike breaks in and then replaces it with another safe and puts a letter in it with Nachos phone number on it and then later I think it was one of Lalos men opening it up. Why did Mike do that if he is protecting Nacho?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

First two episodes were fantastic as always. The care that goes into the craft of the show is rare in TV - each episode has so much space given over to atmosphere building and tonal work, but yet the plot and characters never stop moving forward.

I love how the uncertainty of Kim's fate / relationship with Jimmy has overcome some of the inevitable storytelling problems with prequels. It has hung over the show from episode one, but as she's become one of the great characters on television (Rhea Seehorn's performance is IMO the best on the show) it's really become an ever more effective part of the show. We know what becomes of most characters here, so that narrative tension around Kim is essential. Six seasons in, it still adds urgency and mystery to proceedings.

He is protecting Nachos father. While also putting the Motel number in so Bolsa could track Nacho. That was my take on it. Basically playing a double game distancing Nacho from Fring.

And at the same time, trying keeping Nacho’s father out of it

There was a list of bank account numbers on the letter. Planted by Mike. I assume they don’t link to Fring.

Edit - Nachos father. Not LILO’s father! 😆

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement

I think the main reason was to make sure there was nothing that linked Nacho to Fring, just in case Nacho had made any recordings or anything else which could link Fring to everything that happened to Lalo/Hector. Plus they could plant the fake bank letter leading them to where Nacho was, which would make it seem like Nacho was working on his own.

Mike saw the fake ID for Nacho's father and took it to ensure there was no link to him either; his way of protecting the father since he couldn't stop Gus from basically sentencing Nacho to death. Mike couldn't protect or help Nacho, but he took the ID to help protect Nacho's father.

I assume they also had to match the safe in case it was one the Salamancas gave to Nacho, or any of their men had seen it in Nacho's place before.

The plan seems to have been to mislead the Cartel about who was behind the attack. The cartel knew that Nacho was the inside man, so they planted evidence indicate that it was Columbians behind it. The planted bank statement showed transfers to Nacho from a Peruvian bank. That being said, this whole scheme is for me, the first time there has been a bad bit of writing. On the bank statement was also the phone number of the motel where Nacho was holed up. There is no way that Gus would risk give that info to the Cartel and risk them being able to take Nacho alive and forcing him to talk. He would either just arrange to take Nacho out himself, or get him safe. It was also a bit unbelievable that Gus and Mike would have believed that they would have had all that time to scour Nacho's apartment and replace the safe. The cartel knew straight away that Nacho was involved and should have been expected to get there sooner. If they did, and saw Mike there, then that would have been Gus's involvement confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I couldn't understand that part either. They made it clear that the cousins wanted Nacho alive, so it's not like it was an oversight.

Why send the Salamanca's to Nacho and risk Nacho talking?

That makes a lot of sense. Though giving up Nachos phone number led the cartel to the motel. I thought that was a bit puzzling as to why he would help them locate him. Though Im guessing it will probably become clear in E3 that it is a trap with Mike behind a sniper rifle at the motel.

You're right about Mike protecting Nachos father, he has this thing that he is in the game himself but he hates seeing people unnecessarily killed. He didnt want to follow Frings order to kill the German Werner and it cut him up having to do it. Thats probably whats on his mind with Nachos father, he doesnt want to see more collateral damage to the cartels activities.

Also the opening scene with the flash forward of Sauls opulent mansion with the gold toilet getting emptied out by a removal team is interesting. It suggests Saul gets mega rich in this series but somehow loses it all (and Kim) as when he entered the Breaking Bad timeline he was a broke hustler.

Finally the inflatable Statue of Liberty outside the Kettlemans tax shack in the desert seems to be the same inflatable Statue of Liberty later seen above Sauls office in Breaking Bad. I love the way that Gilligan is linking the two, I think now at some stage in this series the Kettlemans will owe Saul money, cant pay and the inflatable Statue of Liberty ends up as being a part payment to him. Theres a nice dark humour and symbolism of one criminal enterprise paying another criminal enterprise with an inflatable Statue of Liberty.

Anyway great to have it back.

I assumed the flashback to Saul’s home was in the BB timeline? Catching up to BB and the reason he had to pretend to be Gene in Cinnabon place. I could be wrong though. And didn’t see another twist.

It is a great start anyway packed a lot in those two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Aye, As far as I can tell, the B&W 'Gene' scenes are post-BB, and I'd agree the house clearing at the start was also post BB

Fantastic start to this season IMHO, very strong back to back episodes, so much going on, think I might need a pen & paper for this season :D

It's probably a good job NF didn't release the lot, because I would have binged it right through and have nothing to look forward to [no other series grabs me atm]

yeah I think you're right, the flashback (or forward in BCS context) is likely from Breaking Bad and the removal is from when everything went tits up near the end. I dont think we ever saw Sauls house in BB and of course no mention of Kim Wexler either so a lot has to happen now to tie it all together from him now to when he entered BB in S2.

It's worth remembering that Gus had someone watching Nacho at the motel the whole time. I think if the Salamancas tried to take Nacho alive, it's likely Gus' men could then follow them to where they take Nacho and take them all out. But Nacho took out Gus' man first before the Salamancas arrived.

As for Saul's house in the first scene, I'd say it might be that whatever causes him and Kim to split leaves him fairly broke (hence the small work he does at the start of Breaking Bad), but it's the money he earns from working with Walt that lets him buy the big house and gold sh*tter.

I would to see BCS back room meetings. The attention to detail is off the scale. A lot of episodes need a rewatch because they are so subtle.

For example the safe thing in Nacho’s I understood. But I missed the Lalo ‘teeth’ trick. Until it was pointed out. It feels like an observational exam at times!

I would say the producers rarely ever had to use the phrase ‘continuity error’ it is more the viewers missing things, rather than the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Like others I assumed the house clear out was post BB and thought it was lovely Saul held on to the bottle top all that time!

Absolutely loved the two opening episodes. Always feel like I've stepped into something so special after watching it.

Advertisement