Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Sorento PHEV

Options
  • 19-04-2022 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Would appreciate some advice - have a K4 Sorento PHEV for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it, but need to get home charging sorted. In between minds on whats the best option seeing as how its a relatively small battery with max 3.3kwh charge speed - it takes 6 hours to fully charge on a 10amp granny charger vs 4 hours on a 3.6kw/7kw/22kw charger. It only came with a type 2 to type 2 to charging lead.

Option 1: Get a basic wall charger. Best quote I have so far for an installed tethered 7kw charger is 1200eur (Pulsar+, I have electric shower so need something with load balancing supposedly) , so thats 600 to me post grant (approved already).

Option 2: Get a granny charger and a decent outdoor socket / extension. Charger cable looks around 250eur from screwfix for 10m (possibly overkill, 5m would do me) and found this albeit UK based, customs to be added, for what looks like a really good outdoor socket, but perhaps overkill again. https://toughleads.co.uk/products/ev-extension-lead?variant=19514035896408

So for option 2, maybe 320 cost to me.

Pros for option 1: Proper electrician install, wont be worried about burning the house down. Future-proofed a little (though 5 years from now, might be dated tech anyway if at that stage i get something else). Charges a little quicker but generally I will charge overnight

Pros for option 2: Cheaper. Also i get a granny cable which will come in handy from time to time. And an outdoor plug which can be used for other purposes. Still have the type 2 cable for public charging.

Cons for option 1: Cost - probably overkill for the little battery in the hybrid.

Cons for option 2: Worried about overheating etc - I have a modern fusebox (i think) but wouldnt be the most knowledgeable, have an electrician brother in-law who could cast an eye over it though. He's busy on commercial jobs so wouldnt bother him with option 1 install (if i sourced wallbox myself for instance)

Any advice would be great, thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

For the difference in cost now (because of the grant) I'd go with the wall box (pulsar+).

I did the same when I got a PHEV 3+ years ago and when I moved to a full EV I'd a charger ready to go (zappi v1).

More than likely you'll get hooked on driving in electric only mode and will move to a full EV in the future, and then you'll have to get a wall box installed. The wallbox in X years time is unlikely to be any faster than what's currently offered (without major upgrades to your home electrical system to 3 phase) and the grants will only last so long. Imagine a €320 cost now + a €1200 cost in X years time VS €600 now and that's it done and dusted.

Plus, you'll be plugging that PHEV in every night to get the most of it (from my own experience), the tethered cable was worth it alone for the daily plug in's (versus hoking round for the granny cable in the car and plugging both ends in).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ie/product/type-2-adapter---32a

300 euro for the charger, 99 euro for the cable both delivered. You can add load balancing at the fuse box. Get a certified electrician to install, then get the grant, tell him no way he is getting 600 euro, that you will live with a granny charger,

my mother paid 600 euro for the install with a couple of lights done at the same time. charger was 2nd hand for 170 euro.

my brother got his done for 470 euro charger, cable, and electrician, with load balancing on top of that, I forget what that cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd +1 eltoastero's comments.

Think of the proper charge point as an investment for the future, not a cost just associated with the PHEV.

You will almost certainly have a full EV in the house in the years ahead and then you'll be looking to upgrade the charging and probably paying alot more then.

Do the job once and do it right..... get the proper charge point with the load sensing built in and be done with it.

The only caveat would be if there is a chance that you are not going to be in that house in, say, 5 years time.... that would give pause for thought then alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

A ten amp constant draw on a domestic circuit can soon cause issues also. You're far better off putting this socket on a dedicated circuit in any case, which brings you up significantly in costs anyway.

It's a no brainer to get the proper charger, and can be done cheaper than you've found so far

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

Fantastic value if you're willing to source the equipment yourself and can find (trust) a spark to do the job. I'll be following this approach when we get a charger installed at my parents house (they've a local electrician who we trust, sourcing the charger won't be too hard either).

I don't regret paying €1100 for a zappi install 3+ years ago as I didn't know then what I know now, there was value to me at the time in paying someone to do everything in order to do it correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Super advice thank you, looks perfect as a simple unit for my needs

I see on that link on amazon there is also an updated 18th version which has " 6 mA DC Sensitive protection device" for 70gbp more.

Looking at specs it states: "CONSUMER UNIT INCLUDED | Supplied with a Metal Clad Consumer Unit containing AC Overload Protection (C40A MCB) and AC & DC Fault Current Protection (Type B RCD)."

Worth the extra 70gbp for this, is this is the equivalent of load balancing etc? I can try get either brother in law or local qualified electrician to install.

Great value on the cable too, way better than what I have seen cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Have no idea, talk to the qualified guy.

The cable is 3 phase, so future proof up to 22 kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

If you plan on getting solar pv in future buy something that will support it now.

If not then any charger will do, just get the cheapest with the grant. Plenty of companies knocking around doign the install's including ESB etc

Advertisement