Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Banks

• 18-04-2022 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Apparently 1 million need to have switched from KBC and Ulster Bank in the next few months, where's everyone going and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

Post edited by johnire on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Big discussion in the banking forum on it

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully most to some non-Irish banks, less profit for those banks happy to be based here under the crooked resposession rules limiting any foreign bank ever offering mortgages here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭bromley52

My main bank is now N26 as it has everything I need. If I need to deal in cash I use PTSB.

Revolut is also an option now as it is a fully fledged bank as of the last couple of weeks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

n26 may not really be option for people at the moment, they're under serious pressure from various regulators in the EU with the German one especially all over them. Will probably see some further enforcement action in the nearish future. Big problems with fraud and money laundering apparently.

They have been instructed to limit new customers at the moment, so there'll probably be a long wait for anyone looking to open an account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I was looking at doing something similar but found a lot of posts on Reddit about N26 accounts being frozen without much reason so staying away from them for now.

My plan is Credit Union for deposits and Revolut for current account type usage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭amber2

Irish banks work on the basis that it’s too much effort for long-standing customers to switch and leave them, the rapport that was there years ago is well and truly gone. Vote with your feet and leave them, granted there isn’t a huge choice out there atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

When you say Revolut for Current Account.. How do your direct debits work on that front? Say Netflix, Gas/Heating/Electricity.. Tv/phone bills. Is it possible to set these bills up with a card number as opposed to Iban? Or is there an Iban associated to our Revolut accounts that I'm not aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

There is an IBAN for your Revolut. It will be a Lithuanian IBAN.

My Credit Union can have DDs and Standing Orders. I don't have a current account with the CU, that's just my Shares account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I have all mine setup through a revolut debit card. Easy

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Revolut accounts come with an IBAN.

But it is Lithuanian which causes some problems with some Irish companies who insist on an Irish IBAN. It's actually illegal for them to do this as per the EU, but nothing is done about it.

I think usually you can get it all to work, but it will be effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

EBS has an account which is zero fees but I hate EBS so I'll probably do credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

EBS and Revolut for me, left Ulster a few years ago now....

The EBS online banking and stuff is shíte, but functional....

Little thing's like when you set the app up on your phone, they have to post you put a code every time you need to reinstall the app on a new device...

Then when you do you need to ring them to get another code to relay to the app....

You get what you pay for... i.e not much 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Same experience with EBS...from great to appaling just so user unfriendly...

Problem too is with the population growth as is and a major influx of people that will continue...

We'll be getting less service yet paying more charges...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm glad other people answered you because I didn't know the answer 😀

I'm still in the early days of testing the set up. Haven't made much effort with it yet. I'll dump a load of money into the CU account this month and see how it works. Then start moving DD's, etc.

The one thing I'm not sure of yet is if I can do instant moves from CU to Revolut. I tried it once and it took a while for money to appear in my Revolut account. I might need to just get better for planning ahead with it. Or I might get and Avant Credit Card and add to Revolut through Google Pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Check out the existing threads for similar with plenty of guidance.....

Can a mod lock this to avoid duplication of the very same questions being answered.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Advertisement