Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a new builder to snag

Options
  • 18-04-2022 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hello, I recently went through a renovation and I am unhappy with the finish even after the builder has snagged some issues. I owe him a final 20k and am wondering if legally I can withhold this until i have another builder come in to complete the snagging? Also am I able to pay the new builder partially from this 20k and only give the original builder 15k for example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,082 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who is administering the contract?

If you are not happy that the works are complete. Then you need to get the builder back to complete the works. Tell him the final monies will be released at completion. This is the reason you withhold the money. He may do it, he may refuse and accept partial payment. But it needs to be brought up and negotiated.

If you just go and get a new builder, legally you owe them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

what about getting a structural surveyor in to do the snag list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Thanks lads, it's more superficial stuff. Carpentry very poor and plastering, painting and tiling not great. They already snagged and didn't do that much better tbh, so not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Get a registered architect or engineer to come in and prepare a snag list.once the builder completes it ask the architect or engineer to check the work .Let them dispute with the builder and agree final payments .Do remember though that acceptable building standards may not be the same standard you deem acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,082 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't think the issue is getting a snag list put together. But getting the builder back to make good the works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Get a builder in and quote you for the works to be completed. Take that quote and show the original guy and let him know you are retaining that much money of snags aren't complete by whatever date is reasonable.

He either does the work and ye go separate ways or you pay new agreed amount and get new builder in to finish and pay him.

Advertisement